Post a reply

Re: Brave or stupid?

Postby chengdufan

But why can't we all just get along?

My suggestion here is to go away and have sex.
I find it does the world of good, and is something I always recommend in these kinds of situations.

Re: Brave or stupid?

Postby LDS

Normally on forums they move the political stuff the log-in only forums.... so the normal users can avoid them easier...

Edit: replying to Chen
Last edited by LDS on 20 Nov 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Brave or stupid?

Postby Pink Ball

LDS wrote:So it is in fact you that is offended and it is in fact you who wants to make an issue out of it, but you want to phrase it as "Other people will want to make an issue out of it" because for some reason you have a self-image that it's not you that is the one having issues, right?

And, no it's not a bizzare comparison, however, you're immediate dismissal of my comparison with extreme flippancy does indeed display your completely myopic world-view and entirely self-centred approach to difficult topics. If Pink thinks its an issue IT'S AN ISSUE. If Pink doesn't think it's an issue IT'S NOT AN ISSUE.

As someone who lives very close to Essex an has had relations attacked by skinheads in Essex, I think I would also have had the right to raise this issue you decide by your almighty righteousness in supposedly a NON-ISSUE, however, when someone suggests your regional sensitivities are potentially a NON-ISSUE, oh my, let's all feel the wrath... eh?

I'm not offended. The colours don't offend me. They would offend many people IF many people watched snooker. That's my point, and I think it's a reasonable one. It's possible to not be offended by something and still see that it's an issue. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

Yes, I was flippant about your point because, and I will say it here, it IS offensive that you think getting your head shaved is as divisive as the Northern Ireland question. Getting your head shaved can be seen as offensive, I'm not saying it can't, depending on the context. In certain contexts, deeply offensive. But I don't think you or I automatically assume that someone has shaved their head just to express Nazi sympathies, do we? If we found out they did, then yeah, that is hugely offensive. That's not a non-issue.

Unfortuntely, that is not the case when it comes to flags in Northern Ireland. Both the Union Jack and the Irish tricolour would widely be considered as a sign of aggression. Automatically. That's the sad reality of the place.

It's not always the case. WST clearly didn't use green, white and orange lights to show aggression. But it did show a lack of understanding, certainly.

Re: Brave or stupid?

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:...YUP
Image
Image
Image


So you've found three snowflakes on twitter. Congrats.

For once, thankfully, it's a good thing snooker is not widely viewed.

If FIFA decided to host the World Cup in Northern Ireland and used green, white and orange -- or blue, white and red -- as their colour schemes, watch three become millions.

Re: Brave or stupid?

Postby LDS

Pink Ball wrote:Yes, I was flippant about your point because, and I will say it here, it IS offensive that you think getting your head shaved is as divisive as the Northern Ireland question. Getting your head shaved can be seen as offensive, I'm not saying it can't, depending on the context. In certain contexts, deeply offensive. But I don't think you or I automatically assume that someone has shaved their head just to express Nazi sympathies, do we? If we found out they did, then yeah, that is hugely offensive. That's not a non-issue.

... it did show a lack of understanding, certainly.


Skinheads are not necessarily Nazis nor necessarily Nazi sympathisers.

... about that lack of understanding...
Last edited by LDS on 20 Nov 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Brave or stupid?

Postby chengdufan

To be fair to the twitter folk, he was tuning into a Selby match. You can understand why he was staring at the walls looking for something interesting to tweet about.

Re: Brave or stupid?

Postby Cloud Strife

chengdufan wrote:To be fair to the twitter folk, he was tuning into a Selby match. You can understand why he was staring at the walls looking for something interesting to tweet about.


pmsl

Re: Brave or stupid?

Postby LDS

chengdufan wrote:To be fair to the twitter folk, he was tuning into a Selby match. You can understand why he was staring at the walls looking for something interesting to tweet about.


pmsl

Re: Brave or stupid?

Postby Iranu

Pink Ball wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:...YUP
Image
Image
Image


So you've found three snowflakes on twitter. Congrats.

For once, thankfully, it's a good thing snooker is not widely viewed.

If FIFA decided to host the World Cup in Northern Ireland and used green, white and orange -- or blue, white and red -- as their colour schemes, watch three become millions.

Are those lights white? They look blue to me.

Re: Brave or stupid?

Postby Holden Chinaski

chengdufan wrote:To be fair to the twitter folk, he was tuning into a Selby match. You can understand why he was staring at the walls looking for something interesting to tweet about.

:clap:

Re: Brave or stupid?

Postby Pink Ball

LDS wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Yes, I was flippant about your point because, and I will say it here, it IS offensive that you think getting your head shaved is as divisive as the Northern Ireland question. Getting your head shaved can be seen as offensive, I'm not saying it can't, depending on the context. In certain contexts, deeply offensive. But I don't think you or I automatically assume that someone has shaved their head just to express Nazi sympathies, do we? If we found out they did, then yeah, that is hugely offensive. That's not a non-issue.

... it did show a lack of understanding, certainly.


Skinheads are not necessarily Nazis nor necessarily Nazi sympathisers.

... about that lack of understanding.

No, they're not. People shave their heads all the time. My son has his head shaved pretty close at the moment. I'm not aware that he's a Nazi or Nazi sympathiser.

Re: Brave or stupid?

Postby LDS

Pink Ball wrote:No, they're not. People shave their heads all the time. My son has his head shaved pretty close at the moment. I'm not aware that he's a Nazi or Nazi sympathiser.


He's not a representative role model for Essex either.

Re: Brave or stupid?

Postby HappyCamper

I grew up in West Scotland, and the numpties there would get offended by green in Subway sandwich shop. And that's not even Ireland. It may be a small minority of idiots but they do exist

Re: Brave or stupid?

Postby Holden Chinaski

I believe there used to be left-wing skinheads as well. I don't think the original skinheads were very political at all. I think the original skinheads were inspired by the Jamaican rude boy style.

Re: Brave or stupid?

Postby LDS

Holden Chinaski wrote:I believe there used to be left-wing skinheads as well. I don't think the original skinheads were very political at all. I think the original skinheads were inspired by the Jamaican rude boy style.


General anarchy. but easy pickings for thugs, criminals and extremists to manipulate over time, sadly.

Re: Brave or stupid?

Postby LDS

Holden Chinaski wrote:I shaved my balls. My balls are not racist.


I bet they're quite anarchic tho :parrot:

Re: Brave or stupid?

Postby Pink Ball

HappyCamper wrote:I grew up in West Scotland, and the numpties there would get offended by green in Subway sandwich shop. And that's not even Ireland. It may be a small minority of idiots but they do exist

Yes. But let's pretend they don't. Let's pretend that WST haven't made a really silly mistake here.

Re: Brave or stupid?

Postby LDS

Pink Ball wrote:Yes. But let's pretend they don't. Let's pretend that WST haven't made a really silly mistake here.


I love the glee with which you enjoy trying to point that out, come what may ;)

Re: Brave or stupid?

Postby Pink Ball

LDS wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Yes. But let's pretend they don't. Let's pretend that WST haven't made a really silly mistake here.


I love the glee with which you enjoy trying to point that out, come what may ;)

No glee when it comes to Northern Ireland, champ. I couldn't travel there for much of my life because I had a Republic of Ireland registration plate. Thankfully things have improved dramatically, and that would only apply to a few streets here and there now.

My sat-nav tried to send me through Sandy Row two years ago (Alex Higgins' home street). NOPE.

Re: Brave or stupid?

Postby McManusFan

It seems like a cockerel up to me. It reminds me of the time they mixed up the national anthems of North and South Korea at the Olympics.

Re: Brave or stupid?

Postby SnookerEd25

McManusFan wrote:It seems like a cockerel up to me. It reminds me of the time they mixed up the national anthems of North and South Korea at the Olympics.


Yeah, well, if you're going to put World Snooker in charge of Olympic anthems... :irk: