Post a reply

Home-Made Nicknames

Postby LDS

We all know snooker players often come with a cavalcade of nicknames & we never know which the compare is going to use, but what are some names you used/use for players just in your own domain, your or your family's nickname for them when they come on?

The more amusing the better, of course.

Some I've had over the years:

Steve Mavis, which mutated in to Mavis Davis, which eventually just became Mavis for Steve Davis.
Alan Muck'Muh'Anus
Kendo Herty (Hiiiiiiiiiii-YA)
Ronnie O'Suliva'an

Re: Home-Made Nicknames

Postby rekoons

'Ogden' for Kyren Wilson

'Honest John' for John Higgins

Postby chengdufan

I'm currently discovering obscure early nineties players, and as of today I have 'The Hedgehog' Sonic Multani.
I've also discovered a Peter Peratikou who I desperately hope ended up marrying a girl named Polly.

Postby SnookerFan

LDS wrote:We all know snooker players often come with a cavalcade of nicknames & we never know which the compare is going to use, but what are some names you used/use for players just in your own domain, your or your family's nickname for them when they come on?

The more amusing the better, of course.

Some I've had over the years:

Steve Mavis, which mutated in to Mavis Davis, which eventually just became Mavis for Steve Davis.
Alan Muck'Muh'Anus
Kendo Herty (Hiiiiiiiiiii-YA)
Ronnie O'Suliva'an

Isn't Mavis what they call Mark Davis? Or is that just me?

Postby SnookerFan

I find a lot of the nicknames a bit phoney.

It works when a few players have them, but when you have Rob Walker giving literally every player a nickname, it just sounds false.

Postby HustleKing

Anyone remember Robidoux's nickname? Can't imagine it being too flattering :chuckle:

Postby SnookerFan

I hated it at first, but I've come to like the nickname Wenbo Selecta. I think I hated it because it was lame and unfunny when Colin Murray coined it. It felt like he was trying to sound cool, and it didn't work. But I think it's lameness and unfunniness is what made it funny, if that makes sense. I started calling him Selecta as a joke of how ridiculous a nickname it was, and now it's kind of stuck in my mind as his actual nickname now.

Also, I always liked Dave Harold. The Bloke From Stoke.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:I find a lot of the nicknames a bit phoney.

It works when a few players have them, but when you have Rob Walker giving literally every player a nickname, it just sounds false.

Yeah I agree with this. You should have to earn your nickname and it should also be somewhat relevant to you.

For example I preferred “when he’s good he’s On Fire” Stephen Maguire to Stephen The Maverick Maguire because it spoke to his fiery temper.

Enter The Dragon Ding Junhui feels mildly racist to me especially since Ding’s personality couldn’t be further from that of a dragon. But hey he’s Chinese so let’s root his nickname in that because it’s the only recognisable thing about him, right?

Postby Alex0paul

I call Slessor “The boy in the striped pyjamas”

Postby Alex0paul

Ian Burns is obviously Ebdon with hair

Postby rekoons

Holden Chinaski wrote:The genius. (Brecel).

aka Brecelery

Postby SnookerEd25

Tony Knowles was always 'the Stud' in our household.

I forget why though...:chin:

Postby chengdufan

SnookerEd25 wrote:Tony Knowles was always 'the Stud' in our household.

I get called that a lot too. It must be what people from Bolton are called.

Postby HustleKing

chengdufan wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure Peter Kay got all the girl's attention in secondary school :chuckle:

Postby SnookerEd25

chengdufan wrote:

and thanks to Monty Python, I've always called Bolton 'Notlob'.

Postby SnookerEd25

The_Abbott wrote:John Hoggins

Honest John? :no: