Post a reply

Re: Home-Made Nicknames

Postby SnookerFan

rekoons wrote:wasn't Bigham referred to as 'The Egg' ?

Somebody on here used to call him that.

Postby rekoons

SnookerFan wrote:Judd Tramp.

Oooh and somebody kept calling trump the longface!

Postby Dragonfly

Regarding nicknames it was fine in the past when just a couple players had them. The hurricane was a cool name. Whirlwind was ok too.

It became silly when Rob Walker began to give everyone a name. The Sheriff of Pottingham! The Outlaw Joey Swail. Cringe worthy and embarrassing. Now they're calling some guy the Federer of the baize. Not because of his expertise, just because he's Swiss.

Not every player needs a nickname. I find a lot of them stupid and the sport could easily do without them.

Postby LDS

Wholeheartedly agree, The Wizard of Wishall has made me cringe every single time, from the first to today, however many years its been. Higgins looks nothing like a wizard! LOL. He's the archetypal industrious player, ironically enough.

Postby Iranu

LDS wrote:Wholeheartedly agree, The Wizard of Wishall has made me cringe every single time, from the first to today, however many years its been. Higgins looks nothing like a wizard! LOL. He's the archetypal industrious player, ironically enough.

The Workhorse of Wishaw

Postby SnookerEd25

I do like your ‘If you knew Xu Si, Like I know Xu Si’ Dan :chuckle:

Postby Iranu

“Lord lift us up where” Zhou Yuelong

Postby SteveJJ

SnookerFan wrote:I find a lot of the nicknames a bit phoney.

It works when a few players have them, but when you have Rob Walker giving literally every player a nickname, it just sounds false.

Better than Radzi last week. He claimed that Ronnie was known as Tina Turner. Am I the only one who didn't know this or was he making it up.

He was crowbarring in calling him simply the best

Postby SteveJJ

Iranu wrote:

It works when a few players have them, but when you have Rob Walker giving literally every player a nickname, it just sounds false.

Yeah I agree with this. You should have to earn your nickname and it should also be somewhat relevant to you.

For example I preferred “when he’s good he’s On Fire” Stephen Maguire to Stephen The Maverick Maguire because it spoke to his fiery temper.

Enter The Dragon Ding Junhui feels mildly racist to me especially since Ding’s personality couldn’t be further from that of a dragon. But hey he’s Chinese so let’s root his nickname in that because it’s the only recognisable thing about him, right?

But with Mags, when his fiery temperament came out he wasn't very good. So it didn't quite work like that

Postby SnookerFan

SteveJJ wrote:

Better than Radzi last week. He claimed that Ronnie was known as Tina Turner. Am I the only one who didn't know this or was he making it up.

He was Carly Simon at one point, as well.

Postby Cloud Strife

Dan-cat wrote:Katherine Parsons... Bingham was Egghead and Trump was longface

John Higgins = Potato head

Postby SnookerFan

SteveJJ wrote:Better than Radzi last week. He claimed that Ronnie was known as Tina Turner. Am I the only one who didn't know this or was he making it up.

I think this was Radzi's attempts at humour more than anything.