Post a reply

The Final

Poll ended at 23 Sep 2020

Ronnie O'Sullivan 17-16 Mark Selby, World Championship 2020 (2)
50%
Stephen Hendry 18-17 Jimmy White, World Championship 1994 (4)
50%

Total votes : 22

Re: Pink Ball’s top matches: THE FINAL

Postby Andre147

Acé wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Acé wrote:Ding's lost to 4/5 eventual World Champions in the last 5 years thing is he was never in a winning position vs any of them, there was no collapse.

He was 9-7 up in 2019 but lost to Trump 13-9. He played horrendus in that session, it wasn't a total collapse like leading 12-7 and losing the match, but he should have played much better.

9-7 isn't a winning position that's just 2 frames and against a calibre of player like Judd that's NOTHING

Judd played horrendous in the 2nd session, any more excuses up your sleeve?

buck sake, it's not an excuse, just saying he was leading 9-7, so yes, he WAS in a leading position.
The worst part was he lost all the frames in the 3rd session.

Postby Acé

SnookerFan wrote:So being ahead against somebody means you're not in a winning position?

Are you confirming Wild's false lead theory?

So was Judd in a winning position at 5-3? Given he was WINNING

are you thick?

Postby Acé

Andre147 wrote:buck sake, it's not an excuse, just saying he was leading 9-7, so yes, he WAS in a leading position.
The worst part was he lost all the frames in the 3rd session.

By that token Judd was also in a leading position at 5-3 and given the huge collapse in the 2nd session after Judd playing the worst snooker of his entire career, it was all on Judd to win and the rightful winner.

Postby Acé

LOL the one who collapsed in that match was Judd, not Ding. If Ding gets the excuses of collapsing then Judd does too in the 2nd session.

I guess Ding also collapsed vs Ronnie this year whenever he had various 2 frames winning positions.

All of you Judd haters are hypocrites.

Postby Iranu

I don’t understand why you’re so upset, Ace. Judd did well to win all the frames but Ding also collapsed a bit. I remember it.

While I wouldn’t say 9-7 is a winning position, it’s definitely a strong position and to not win a frame from there was poor. That’s a fact.

I don’t think anyone would claim Judd didn’t handily deserve to win that match.

Postby SnookerFan

Acé wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:So being ahead against somebody means you're not in a winning position?

Are you confirming Wild's false lead theory?

So was Judd in a winning position at 5-3? Given he was WINNING

are you thick?

If you're 5-3 ahead, yes. You're in a winning position.

Nobody is saying it isn't close.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:11 all

If it finishes level, O'Sullivan-Selby wins on the seeding rule.

If it wins, as much as I adored it, it's defo recency bias...

Recency bias, and Ronnie beating Selby bias from some.

Postby SnookerFan

By winning position, what people here mean is a leading position. Not that they are in a position where they are about to win.

Maybe if you want to argue semantics, you could say that you're not in a winning position until you're in an actual position where you can win. But I think the meaning in this discussion is clear. I'm not sure it's worth getting this angry about.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:By winning position, what people here mean is a leading position. Not that they are in a position where they are about to win.

Maybe if you want to argue semantics, you could say that you're not in a winning position until you're in an actual position where you can win. But I think the meaning in this discussion is clear. I'm not sure it's worth getting this angry about.

Was Ronnie in a 'winning position' in 2014, having been pegged back to 10-7 by Selby, despite Selby playing like a man with one arm on that first day?

Why then, would the commentators be saying 'Selby must feel like he's in front, what a result he's had'

Not everything is black and white. Nuances are everything.

Postby TheRocket

What speaks for the Ronnie-Selby match is the rivalry.

ROS-Selby is one of the greatest, some say the greatest rivalry ever. Which I dont agree with but its probably still Top3. You also have the revenge factor. Usually its Selby who make comebacks, particularly against Ronnie but now it was roles reversed. And it was pretty much the first time in Selbys career he's ever lost a big match from a strong winning position.

Hendry-White was a great rivalry, particularly at the Crucible but Hendry kept winning their biggest encounters so this always felt like an one sided match up and downgraded the rivalry.

But as I said before. I still voted for Hendry-White because the match itself was bigger and you had the drama and the nightmare ending.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:By winning position, what people here mean is a leading position. Not that they are in a position where they are about to win.

Was Ronnie in a 'winning position' in 2014, having been pegged back to 10-7 by Selby, despite Selby playing like a man with one arm on that first day?

Why then, would the commentators be saying 'Selby must feel like he's in front, what a result he's had'

Not everything is black and white. Nuances are everything.

Actually, to be fair, it was me who said winning position, Andre said leading position. Which is a better term, and what I meant to say when I said; "winning position". If you're leading, you're in a leading position.

Not sure why Ace is so upset by saying that a player who is leading is in a leading position.

Postby Juddernaut88

TheRocket wrote:What speaks for the Ronnie-Selby match is the rivalry.

ROS-Selby is one of the greatest, some say the greatest rivalry ever. Which I dont agree with but its probably still Top3. You also have the revenge factor. Usually its Selby who make comebacks, particularly against Ronnie but now it was roles reversed. And it was pretty much the first time in Selbys career he's ever lost a big match from a strong winning position.

Hendry-White was a great rivalry, particularly at the Crucible but Hendry kept winning their biggest encounters so this always felt like an one sided match up and downgraded the rivalry.

But as I said before. I still voted for Hendry-White because the match itself was bigger and you had the drama and the nightmare ending.

:goodpost:

Postby Cloud Strife

Dan-cat wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:11 all

If it finishes level, O'Sullivan-Selby wins on the seeding rule.

If it wins, as much as I adored it, it's defo recency bias...

Definitely no recency bias from me. I'd have voted for the Ronnie match even if the match had happened a thousand years ago.

Postby badtemperedcyril

TheRocket wrote:What speaks for the Ronnie-Selby match is the rivalry.

Good post.

In fairness to Selby, it's not that he really did a lot wrong to lose those 3 frames.

The Hendry-White rivalry was more on a level with the Davis-Higgins rivalry. Higgins, the wayward genius who had the crowd support but could rarely beat his nemesis... but when he did, it was just soooooo freakin marvelous!! :hyper:

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:You should do a Greatest Frame Of All Time competition.

I nominate the final frame of Wilson vs McGill.

I was thinking about something like that.

Greatest Deciding Frame of All Time would be great.