Post a reply

Quarter-final one

Poll ended at 14 Sep 2020

Dennis Taylor 18-17 Steve Davis, 1985 World Championship (1)
44%
Stephen Hendry 16-15 Steve Davis, 1990 UK Championship (8)
56%

Total votes : 18

Re: Pink Ball's top matches: quarter-final, match one

Postby Pink Ball

The 1985 final is the greatest match of all time, but I don't expect it to get through here. It has been attracting a protest vote throughout, but now it's up against a match that's strong enough to put it out.

Not how it should go, but that's the way I think it will go.

Postby Ck147

Pink Ball wrote:The 1985 final is the greatest match of all time, but I don't expect it to get through here. It has been attracting a protest vote throughout, but now it's up against a match that's strong enough to put it out.

How about you keep quiet until the votes are in?

Postby Pink Ball

Ck147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:The 1985 final is the greatest match of all time, but I don't expect it to get through here. It has been attracting a protest vote throughout, but now it's up against a match that's strong enough to put it out.

Why? Everyone else is open to give an opinion, why wouldn't I be?

Postby Ck147

Pink Ball wrote:
Ck147 wrote:

Er, because you're running the competition and provided all the match ups...duh!

Postby Pink Ball

Ck147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Ck147 wrote:

Er, because you're running the competition and provided all the match ups...duh!

It's a meaningless snooker forum contest, not the 'Lympics.

Postby Ck147

Pink Ball wrote:
Ck147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Ck147 wrote:

It's a meaningless snooker forum contest, not the 'Lympics.

Understood, carry on

Postby badtemperedcyril

During lockdown I actually watched the 13½ hour video on YouTube of the '85 WC final. Well, I actually stopped when it got to 17-17 because I've seen the decider so many times I just couldn't stand to see it replayed again...

One thing that struck me about the first day in particular was how negative Davis played. They say he played flawless snooker to build up his commanding 8-0 lead but it was pretty granite, absolutely no risk snooker. In most frames he terminated numerous breaks of one with a roll up to a baulk colour. Thin safeties, keeping the pack tight was the order of the day. It's all very well playing that game but when most frames are taking over half an hour it can get very tiring. I think Davis mentally exhausted himself, which allowed Taylor back in to the match on the first evening. Bad tactic really - if he'd been more positive he could have won the match in a canter because he was the more superior potter and break builder, but he just wasn't prepared to take the risks.

Postby Johnny Bravo

It's a garbage match.