Post a reply

Hendrys natural ability is very underrated

Postby TheRocket

From his wikipedia page.

"Hendry started playing snooker in 1981, aged 12, when his father, Gordon, bought him a child-sized snooker table as a Christmas present. Two years later he won the Scottish U-16 Championship. He also appeared on BBC's Junior version of Pot Black. The following year he won the Scottish Amateur Championship and also became the youngest ever entrant in the World Amateur Championship. In 1985, after retaining the Scottish Amateur Championship, he turned professional. At 16 years and three months old he was the youngest ever professional".

Unlike many other or the most topplayers who have started at a very young age like 6 or 7, at worst around 9 or 10 Hendry really got into Snooker by coincidence at a late age and still rised to the top in no time and obviously went on to do what he did,winning 7 World titles and other great things. And played the way he did.

He definitely belongs in the 'Top5 most naturally gifted Snookerplayers' list. At the worst.

Re: Hendrys natural ability is very underrated

Postby Andre147

Yes he started late compared to other fellow professionals, but much like Ronnie he was born to play Snooker and therefore always had immense natural ability.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Without a doubt. People sometimes forget how good he was. He was unbelievable in his prime. Amazing that he started so late compared to others and almost immediately started dominating.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Holden Chinaski wrote:Without a doubt. People sometimes forget how good he was. He was unbelievable in his prime. Amazing that he started so late compared to others and almost immediately started dominating.

12 is not that old, I started at a similar age too.

Postby Andre147

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Without a doubt. People sometimes forget how good he was. He was unbelievable in his prime. Amazing that he started so late compared to others and almost immediately started dominating.

Then you must be immensely talented...

Postby Holden Chinaski

Johnny Bravo wrote:

How many World Championships have you won?

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:

And where are you now? Were you a ranking event winner 6 years later?

It’s not just starting late, it’s how quickly he progressed after starting late.

And by the way, he got the present for Christmas but his birthday is 13th January, so he was only a few weeks from being 13.

Postby Dragonfly

I think Hendry was a genius. He brought snooker to totally new levels. Outstanding break builder and long potter. Totally fearless as well.

In a way he was almost a victim of his own success. The next generation of players saw how the game must now be played. He was also unlucky that 3 extraordinarily talented players arrived at the same time to challenge him.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Andre147 wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Then you must be immensely talented...

Why is that ? I'm just an amateur :?

Postby Johnny Bravo

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

How many World Championships have you won?

I never turned pro. Nor do I claim I'm more talented. Quite the opposite, I think I've got better due to experimenting and playing more often, rather than through talent.
My point was that a few years don't make much of a difference if you practice hard.