Post a reply

Match three

Poll ended at 08 Sep 2020

John Higgins 10-9 Ronnie O'Sullivan, Masters 2006 (9)
62%
Ronnie O'Sullivan 10-9 Judd Trump, Tour Championship 2019 (24)
38%

Total votes : 13

Re: Pink Ball's top matches: last 32, match three

Postby Pink Ball

This is likely to be a tight one just because the 2019 match is fresher in people's minds. Higgins-O'Sullivan is the superior match, and probably the greatest two-session match ever played. It's ending was also even more exciting than O'Sullivan-Trump's, it's just it was longer ago.

Postby TheRocket

Pink Ball wrote:This is likely to be a tight one just because the 2019 match is fresher in people's minds. Higgins-O'Sullivan is the superior match, and probably the greatest two-session match ever played. It's ending was also even more exciting than O'Sullivan-Trump's, it's just it was longer ago.

I agree that Higgins-O'Sullivan was the superior match overall but the Trump-O'Sullivan decider was more dramatic. It had a lot more twists and turns including a fluke and waistcoat foul and was also decided on the final black just like the O'Sullivan-Higgins match.

Postby Pink Ball

TheRocket wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:This is likely to be a tight one just because the 2019 match is fresher in people's minds. Higgins-O'Sullivan is the superior match, and probably the greatest two-session match ever played. It's ending was also even more exciting than O'Sullivan-Trump's, it's just it was longer ago.

I agree that Higgins-O'Sullivan was the superior match overall but the Trump-O'Sullivan decider was more dramatic. It had a lot more twists and turns including a fluke and waistcoat foul and was also decided on the final black just like the O'Sullivan-Higgins match.

Higgins' clearance topped all of that. Possibly the best ever, under the circumstances, since the other Higgins broke Jimmy White's heart.

Postby chengdufan

These two both deserve to make it to (at least) the last 16. It's a shame they had to meet in the first round.
I think O'Sullivan v Trump has been ranked too lowly by Pink Ball, and for me that match just edges it here.