Post a reply

Re: HENDRY IS BACK! 2 YEAR TOUR CARD!

Postby SnookerFan

As somebody who loved watching Hendry play, I wonder as to the wisdom of this.

He wasn't playing to a standard that he considered good enough eight years ago when he retired. What has changed since then?

I'd love to be wrong and for him to recapture former glories, but it seems unlikely.

I wonder why he made the decision now?

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:As somebody who loved watching Hendry play, I wonder as to the wisdom of this.

He wasn't playing to a standard that he considered good enough eight years ago when he retired. What has changed since then?

I'd love to be wrong and for him to recapture former glories, but it seems unlikely.

I wonder why he made the decision now?

I don't get it either. Maybe he's feeling really good about his game now he's working with Sight Right?

I loved watching Hendry play as well, but I hope he won't make a fool of himself this time.

Imagine Hendry winning more ranking tournaments! Can't see it happening, but it would be crazy.

Postby GeF

So we have 130 players on the tour !
It will decrease the chance for Brian (and other top of Q School OoM) entering in tournaments... :(

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:He's coming to show Ali Carter how it's done.

Carter knows how it's done : Badly, and with attitude.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:https://twitter.com/_RocketFan147/status/1300922715591921669

I really don't think that's true. Hendry always speaks highly of Ronnie. He admits that he's his favourite player on tour.

If anything, Hendry is glad that if anyone breaks his records, it's Ronnie.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:https://twitter.com/_RocketFan147/status/1300922715591921669

I really don't think that's true. Hendry always speaks highly of Ronnie. He admits that he's his favourite player on tour.

If anything, Hendry is glad that if anyone breaks his records, it's Ronnie.

I agree 100% It was just a cheeky joke.

Postby Holden Chinaski

During the last part of the Ronnie v Selby semi-final, you could really hear how excited Hendry was about Ronnie beating Selby with a full-on attacking break building style just like prime Hendry used to do.

I think the fact that two very attacking players, Judd and Ronnie, are dominating might inspire Hendry. And working with Sight Right he probably has more confidence in his potting ability again.

Still, it would surprise me if he's able to compete at all. But it would be brilliant. Love Hendry.

Postby TheRocket

big news. Hes working with SightRight and maybe that has given him a little bit of confidence to give it a try. He probably also feels the standard isnt that high among the upcoming generation and his old rival ROS is still doing exceptionally well.

Would like to see him doing well. There are a lot of bo7 matches and over that distance anyone can beat anyone basicially.

Postby SnookerEd25

mick745 wrote:Nothing is more unseemly than a former great trying in vain to recapture past glories.

You haven't seen me trying to woo a young lady :emb:

Postby Iranu

Let’s wait and see how he gets on before denouncing his choice. Even if he can get to his pre-retirement form he’ll be good enough to do some damage.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerEd25 wrote:
mick745 wrote:Nothing is more unseemly than a former great trying in vain to recapture past glories.

You haven't seen me trying to woo a young lady :emb:

:hatoff:

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Iranu wrote:Let’s wait and see how he gets on before denouncing his choice. Even if he can get to his pre-retirement form he’ll be good enough to do some damage.

If he can get to that level in his 50's then it would be a huge achievement and it would enhance his legacy.

Postby Cloud Strife

HappyCamper wrote:Maybe now he'll actually watch some of the lower ranked players.

Yes, he'll no doubt be watching plenty of them from across the table, whilst sat in his seat.

Postby Cloud Strife

Iranu wrote:Let’s wait and see how he gets on before denouncing his choice. Even if he can get to his pre-retirement form he’ll be good enough to do some damage.

Maybe next time he can take 3 frames off Maguire. That would be an improvement on his pre-retirement form.

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:Maybe now he'll actually watch some of the lower ranked players.

Yes, he'll no doubt be watching plenty of them from across the table, whilst sat in his seat.

The problem Hendry has he will be playing players inside the top 64 because it's a flat 128 in most events, so he will have to play very well to win but there are players there that aren't all that good lets be honest i could easily see him beating quite a few and if he felt he couldn't perform he would not even try plus the added pressure on those players to beat the old guy.

Postby mantorok

Based on some of his performances in the Seniors I would say his game is in pretty good shape, of course doing that against other players on tour, top or not, in front of crowds, with added weight on his shoulders, that's a different story.

But I welcome his return, his commentary (particularly in the safety aspects - who'd thought?) has been spot on, so maybe he's picked up a few tricks along the way.

Postby TheRocket

I cant see him playing to a higher level than Jimmy is doing atm and we know that Jimmy doesnt have much of a success and keeps losing in 1st and 2nd rounds. Just the occasional good match and thats it.

A risky decision by Hendry for sure. Hard to see him enjoying it out there if he loses to people he would easily destroy in his prime.