Post a reply

Re: HENDRY IS BACK! 2 YEAR TOUR CARD!

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Iranu wrote:Question: what exactly IS the player he once was?

Because in the few seasons leading up to his retirement he really wasn’t all that good and was protected largely by the two year ranking system and tired draw.

Judging by how unhappy he was with his form then, I doubt he’d be coming back just to match that.

*tiered*

Postby Iranu

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Because in the few seasons leading up to his retirement he really wasn’t all that good and was protected largely by the two year ranking system and tired draw.

Judging by how unhappy he was with his form then, I doubt he’d be coming back just to match that.

*tiered*

Thank you. I misspelled it because i’m tiered.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Iranu wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

*tiered*

Thank you. I misspelled it because i’m tiered.

No problem. I thought it was because you were thick. My error

Postby Andre147

His 90s form is impossible to achieve, but maybe return to the form up until 2006 when he even returned to WN1 and was playing solid stuff, not winning many titles but being solid.

But even that type of form would be very hard to match for a 51 year old like him. Like I said, he may have the odd good win here and there. And it even depends how much he's willing to play. So far he hasn't entered anything. UK Champs likely his first tournament.

Postby Cloud Strife

How old was Davis when he reached the World Championship quarter-finals?

A similar one-off achievement may not be out of the question for Sourface. Don't see him doing anything on a consistent basis though.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:How old was Davis when he reached the World Championship quarter-finals?

A similar one-off achievement may not be out of the question for Sourface. Don't see him doing anything on a consistent basis though.

Yeah that's what I think.

Davis was 52 in that 2010 World Champs. Hendry will be 52 next January.

Postby Prop

Davis remained somewhat competitive up to that point though. He hadn’t left the game to come back.

I’d imagine being match-sharp played a big part in Davis managing to stay relevant for so long. So it’s something Hendry will have to get back under his belt, before anyone has any real idea whether he can become a dangerous player again. Seniors is one thing, the main tour is another completely.

I’m not knocking him. I hope he can put some sort of consistency together. It’d be great to watch.

Postby SnookerFan

Prop wrote:Davis remained somewhat competitive up to that point though. He hadn’t left the game to come back.

I’d imagine being match-sharp played a big part in Davis managing to stay relevant for so long. So it’s something Hendry will have to get back under his belt, before anyone has any real idea whether he can become a dangerous player again. Seniors is one thing, the main tour is another completely.

I’m not knocking him. I hope he can put some sort of consistency together. It’d be great to watch.

You raise good points.

He certainly won't get match fit by not playing any matches, will he?

Postby HustleKing

SnookerFan wrote:
Prop wrote:Davis remained somewhat competitive up to that point though. He hadn’t left the game to come back.

You raise good points.

Ya hear that, Luca? :roll:

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:

You raise good points.

Zaccly!

Postby Dragonfly

Would be fantastic if he was to have a good run and go deep in a major event.

Unfortunately I don't see it happening. I can see him lose heavily against players in the top 60 or so. It doesn't bare thinking about should he come up against Selby, Trump etc

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:Imagine the extra pressure for him also, the whole snooker world watching his first match...

Well he is a man who famously struggled under pressure.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Imagine the extra pressure for him also, the whole snooker world watching his first match...

Well he is a man who famously struggled under pressure.

rofl

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Since his retirement most of Hendry's records have been broken and his 'GOAT' status is largely gone. He might be looking at his legacy differently now and feel like if he could be competitive in his 50's it would be a huge achievement.

Postby Johnny Bravo

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:

Since his retirement most of Hendry's records have been broken and his 'GOAT' status is largely gone. He might be looking at his legacy differently now and feel like if he could be competitive in his 50's it would be a huge achievement.

I also see that as the main reason he's coming back. He's hoping he might get lucky and reach the latter stages of an event (maybe even more), and that this might propel him back into the GOAT debate again.

Postby Johnny Bravo

SnookerFan wrote:I honestly don't think that Hendry feels it's that big a deal that Ronnie is breaking his records.

He said he does care about the total tally of world titles and that he's hoping Ronnie won't break that record.

Postby SnookerFan

Johnny Bravo wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I honestly don't think that Hendry feels it's that big a deal that Ronnie is breaking his records.

He said he does care about the total tally of world titles and that he's hoping Ronnie won't break that record.

Alright.

He's not that bothered about most of his records, I should've said.

Besides, I doubt that has anything to do with his return either way. He can't seriously believe that he has another Crucible win in him, can he?

Postby Johnny Bravo

SnookerFan wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Alright.

Besides, I doubt that has anything to do with his return either way. He can't seriously believe that he has another Crucible win in him, can he?

If Jimmy does, what makes you think Hendry doesn't ?!?

Postby SnookerFan

Johnny Bravo wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Alright.

Yeah, but Jimmy is deluded.

Postby Johnny Bravo

SnookerFan wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Yeah, but Jimmy is deluded.

<laugh> <laugh> <laugh> :spot on:

Postby Iranu

Jimmy doesn’t actually believe he can win it. He said as much in the 40 year anniversary documentary they did on the Crucible.

Postby Cloud Strife

Alex0paul wrote:Complete waste of time if he isn’t going to play in anything

I'm starting to think it's all a PR stunt and he isn't actually going to play in anything. Would be such a Hearn move TBH.

Postby SnookerEd25

Cloud Strife wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Complete waste of time if he isn’t going to play in anything

I'm starting to think it's all a PR stunt and he isn't actually going to play in anything. Would be such a Hearn move TBH.

Nah, Steve Mifsud tried that; doesn’t work.

Postby lhpirnie

Now that the CL is finished, the seedings for the UK Championships are fized, although there are several groups of players with equal ranking points.

Provided that the same 124 players will enter for it (i.e. the 128 professionals except Fu, Mei, Bai and Mifsud) as have been playing so far, then Stephen Hendry will play one of Selby, Wilson, Murphy or Higgins.