Post a reply

Re: Ray Reardon

Postby Muller

Iranu wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:Reardon was great in his era, he wouldn't be able to cope with the players of the modern era.

He would if he’d grown and developed in this era.

Spot on. Being a sporting great is a mindset.

Downplaying someone from an earlier era in that way is like criticising Napoleon's armies for having no tanks.

Postby Andre147

Muller wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:Reardon was great in his era, he wouldn't be able to cope with the players of the modern era.

Downplaying someone from an earlier era in that way is like criticising Napoleon's armies for having no tanks.

Well yes, great comparison.

Great champions have a mindset of a champion, so Reardon would have coped well in this era.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Muller wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Indeed. Great post.

Postby Wildey

Some aren't really getting Snooker and Johnny Bravo definitely falls in to that categories.

Yea Reardon not going to beat anyone with centuries but you don't need centuries to win frames 5 20 breaks will do the job just as well.

Snooker is a sport that's different to any other you don't need strength or speed or accuracy you need guile and experience that's why Jack Lisowski not won tournaments he's got all the tools apart from the most important thing the Know How Ray Reardon would have the Know How.

Reardon of the 80s could easily fit in to todays era and knocking on the door of winning tournaments.

Postby TheRocket

the likes of Reardon and Davis would have adapted to any era. If they came through now they would be topplayers. I said it before. Wouldnt even be surprised if they played the way Trump does.

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:Yea Reardon not going to beat anyone with centuries but you don't need centuries to win frames 5 20 breaks will do the job just as well.

Only because that’s the era he was accustomed to, though.

If Reardon was breaking through say 5 years ago he WOULD be beating people through centuries and scoring*.

*Obviously that’s an oversimplification because there would have been no Reardon 50 years ago to shape the game of today, but you know what I mean.

Postby Muller

Iranu wrote:
Wildey wrote:Yea Reardon not going to beat anyone with centuries but you don't need centuries to win frames 5 20 breaks will do the job just as well.

Only because that’s the era he was accustomed to, though.

If Reardon was breaking through say 5 years ago he WOULD be beating people through centuries and scoring*.

*Obviously that’s an oversimplification because there would have been no Reardon 50 years ago to shape the game of today, but you know what I mean.

Captain, I think there has been a disruption in the space time continuum.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I think Reardon always said he was a very attacking player when he was younger.

Postby Ck147

TheRocket wrote:the likes of Reardon and Davis would have adapted to any era. If they came through now they would be topplayers. I said it before. Wouldnt even be surprised if they played the way Trump does.

Agree, pretty sure I've said similar in a post before too. Hard to compare players in different era's. Top players would adapt, as someone else said, it's the mindset that makes them great.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Reardon would cope with any era. It just happened that he learned his game with tactical amateurs in the 50’s and 60’s. He was considered a very open and attacking potter with great cue ball control in the 50’s but he reined in his attacking inclinations in the 60’s to become, along with Houlihan and Spencer the best amateur around by the mid 60’s. Remember, at that time the only active British professionals were Pulman, Fred Davis, Rex Williams and Jackie Rea. One can only imagine what level Reardon’s game would’ve been at with the advantage of being around with the knowledge today’s players have, the game having evolved by Hendry, O’Sullivan, Higgins etc.

Postby badtemperedcyril

When you watch the old masters like Reardon, Spencer and Alex Higgins you realise how incredibly skilful they were and they could read the table like an AA map. The difference was, they never had the opportunity or conditions available to them to develop such sound techniques as the present day players, which no doubt restricted the amount of centuries they made.

Postby Holden Chinaski

The effect Reardon had on Ronnie's game in 2004 proves his tactics are still a force to be reckoned with even in the modern game. Ronnie played some brilliant safeties and tactical stuff after he worked with Ray.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Holden Chinaski wrote:The effect Reardon had on Ronnie's game in 2004 proves his tactics are still a force to be reckoned with even in the modern game. Ronnie played some brilliant safeties and tactical stuff after he worked with Ray.

I think Ronnie could play tactical already but he didn’t know how to enjoy that aspect of the game - that’s what Ray taught him to appreciate. I think Ronnie was surprised how much he could learn from Ray but also loved his company. I bet they had some laughs together. Interesting that although Ray was in his 70’s, Ronnie said Ray still made the odd century and beat him occasionally.

Postby Muller

I think another point to be made with regard to earlier players is the talk of "majors" or "triple crown" titles.

The Masters started in 1975 and the UK in 1977. Both Reardon and Spencer's prime was earlier and they would have had more than 7 and 4 of these respectively otherwise.

I suppose the closest equivalent would be the Pontins Pro and Reardon won that 3 times prior to the triple crown being established.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Muller wrote:I think another point to be made with regard to earlier players is the talk of "majors" or "triple crown" titles.

The Masters started in 1975 and the UK in 1977. Both Reardon and Spencer's prime was earlier and they would have had more than 7 and 4 of these respectively otherwise.

I suppose the closest equivalent would be the Pontins Pro and Reardon won that 3 times prior to the triple crown being established.

Very good point. In fact, there was no such thing as a Triples Crown until the BBC axed the old Grand Prix. Previously they made reference to those four events as a Grand Slam. In reality, the ITV tournaments, the Mercantile Credit Classic and British Open were just as big, as was the invitational World Matchplay for the few years it existed.

Back in the 70's, there was only the World Championships and obviously Masters from 75. After that the only decent sized pro events were the Canadian Open and at the end of the season, Pontins. You can go back a bit further and the Norwich Union, Watneys Open and Park Drive events were pretty high prestige.

Postby badtemperedcyril

badtemperedcyril wrote:
Muller wrote:I think another point to be made with regard to earlier players is the talk of "majors" or "triple crown" titles.

Very good point. In fact, there was no such thing as a Triples Crown until the BBC axed the old Grand Prix. Previously they made reference to those four events as a Grand Slam. In reality, the ITV tournaments, the Mercantile Credit Classic and British Open were just as big, as was the invitational World Matchplay for the few years it existed.

Back in the 70's, there was only the World Championships and obviously Masters from 75. After that the only decent sized pro events were the Canadian Open and at the end of the season, Pontins. You can go back a bit further and the Norwich Union, Watneys Open and Park Drive events were pretty high prestige.

Postby badtemperedcyril

badtemperedcyril wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:

Postby badtemperedcyril

Postby Iranu

Muller wrote:In terms of profile I suppose you could even include Pot Black?

Potentially the most important tournament in the history of snooker.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
Muller wrote:In terms of profile I suppose you could even include Pot Black?

Potentially the most important tournament in the history of snooker.

Should've been a ranking event.

Postby Muller

Pot Black was my first snooker experience. I recall watching Graham Miles in it in the mid 70s so he, oddly, was likely the first snooker player I was aware of.

The first one I watched religiously (Friday night, start of the weekend and after Porridge!) was the 1978 one when Doug Mountjoy beat Miles in the final. It would gradually decline in significance as TV coverage stepped up.

When I bought the PB book in 1982 I do recall being surprised that daily TV coverage of the WC did not start until 1978. As far as I can make out, the first ever TV coverage was of the 1973 final and again in 1974. Brief glimpses of these are on YT. (Does anyone have more?) There was no coverage of 1975 and it was back to the earlier model for 1976 before 1977 saw the first coverage of the SFs.

The 1976 championship seems interesting as someone came up with the bright idea of splitting it into two venues, leading to ructions in the final!

But PB was indeed of huge importance and back in the day I loved it.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Muller wrote:Pot Black was my first snooker experience. I recall watching Graham Miles in it in the mid 70s so he, oddly, was likely the first snooker player I was aware of.

The first one I watched religiously (Friday night, start of the weekend and after Porridge!) was the 1978 one when Doug Mountjoy beat Miles in the final. It would gradually decline in significance as TV coverage stepped up.

When I bought the PB book in 1982 I do recall being surprised that daily TV coverage of the WC did not start until 1978. As far as I can make out, the first ever TV coverage was of the 1973 final and again in 1974. Brief glimpses of these are on YT. (Does anyone have more?) There was no coverage of 1975 and it was back to the earlier model for 1976 before 1977 saw the first coverage of the SFs.

The 1976 championship seems interesting as someone came up with the bright idea of splitting it into two venues, leading to ructions in the final!

But PB was indeed of huge importance and back in the day I loved it.
There were camera's in for the Friday evening sessions of the 1953 WF at LSH and 1955 at Blackpool. The BBC transmitted a half hour program for each at 9.00 pm. Sidney Smith commentated. I have copies of the Radio Times listings.

There are short films of 1940 & 46 finals, of course.

Postby badtemperedcyril

I was doing some research of old World Championship finals during lockdown. Not all are on Cuetracker or Wikki.

Here's what I could find for 1955...

1955 World Professional Snooker Championship
“Professional Match-Play”
FINAL

Monday 14th – Saturday 19th March, 1955
Tower Circus, Blackpool

FRED DAVIS (England) 38-35 JOHN PULMAN (England)

Frame Scores:
Session 1 109-8; 91-19; 104-26; 114-21; 87-29; 42-76. Davis 5-1
Session 2 65-35; 56-71; 82-50; 84-42; 95-43; 69-45. Davis 10-2
Session 3 71-47; 32-103(103); 46-76; 7-105; 38-70; 84-29. Davis 12-6
Session 4 68-41; 10-80; 71-18; 63-62; 59-74; 58-71. Davis 15-9
Session 5 No scores reported this session.
Session 6 No scores reported this session. Davis 20-16
Session 7 84-41; 76-61; No scores for 4 frames. Davis 24-18
Session 8 No scores reported for this session. (JP 103). Davis 27-21
Session 9 66-32; 51-58; 86-30; 24-83; 69-40; 77-41. Davis 31-23
Session 10 42-74; 87-48; 17-89; 28-59; 88-30; 47-71. Davis 33-27
Session 11 39-60; 26-102; 122-1; 76-39; 28-73; 51-36. Davis 36-30
Session 12 13-81; *94-21; 79-56; 37-91; 8-127; 32-67; 4-143(101). Davis 38-35

*Davis achieved a winning lead in frame 68 at 37-31

The trophy was presented by Mr H. Douglas Bickerstaffe, Chairman of the Blackpool Tower and Winter Gardens companies.

BBC television broadcast on Friday evening (session 10). BBC Radio coverage of other sessions throughout.

Other breaks reported:
F1 FD 78, F8 JP 45, F55 JP 62, F59 FD 50 (televised).