Post a reply

Re: Let me explain Why Ronnie Will Never Win Sports Personal

Postby vodkadiet1

Ck147 wrote:Come on guys, as much as we love snooker, it's a game, you can't put it in the same category as running, cycling, swimming, F1, hula hooping or limbo dancing. We all know it sits along side chess and tiddlywinks. Get over it.

Yes. Snooker isn't a sport. Neither are darts or golf. If you can be competitive with a fat stomach then it isn't a sport.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Sports and games are near enough the same thing though. Snooker mightn't be a physical sport but it does provide mental activity. The difference between s a sport and a game is the level. A game is just for fun but a sport is a proper competition that is also entertainment for spectators.

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:If sports were only sports because you had to be physically fit to play them, if that was the only criterion, the fittest ones would always be the best. Apart from things like long distance running and cycling, that’s not the case for most sports.

Messi’s not the best footballer just because he’s fitter than everyone else. Federer’s not the best tennis player just because he’s fitter than everyone else. There are myriad factors of which fitness is just one.

Precisely.

All these people saying it's only a sport when you put fitness into it are talking nonsense. Fitness is only a part of it, there are other factors involved that can't be ignored.

And everything is a game at the end of the day, a game to see who becomes best, but obviously to play that game you've got to take part in the sport that combines it.

Postby Andre147

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Sports and games are near enough the same thing though. Snooker mightn't be a physical sport but it does provide mental activity. The difference between s a sport and a game is the level. A game is just for fun but a sport is a proper competition that is also entertainment for spectators.

Also this.

+1

Postby Ck147

Sports and games are not the same thing. I can go to Argos and buy a snooker table, a chess set, or cluedo. Even if I got quite good and entered competitions it wouldn't make me a sportsman. If I went running or played football, got quite good and entered competitions it would make me a sportsman. Come on guys, it's not hard.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerFan wrote:SPOTY has no prestige anyway. It's the BBC Sport Christmas party. Everybody knows that they just pick their mates to win.

The Rear Of The Year means more as an award.

It is funny as like you say that it remains in our minds at all. I think it is because it was big when most of us were young.

Postby mantorok

vodkadiet1 wrote:
Ck147 wrote:Come on guys, as much as we love snooker, it's a game, you can't put it in the same category as running, cycling, swimming, F1, hula hooping or limbo dancing. We all know it sits along side chess and tiddlywinks. Get over it.

Yes. Snooker isn't a sport. Neither are darts or golf. If you can be competitive with a fat stomach then it isn't a sport.

Is sumo wrestling a sport?

Postby Holden Chinaski

mantorok wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

rofl

Postby SnookerFan

mantorok wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

And let's not forget about The World's Strongest Man.

The Sport Of Kings and King Of Sports. <ok>

Postby Prop

mantorok wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

The Sumos have tried to get it recognised by the IOC for Tokyo, but so far the IOC have said no.

So if you want to base it on that, there’s your answer!

Postby vodkadiet1

mantorok wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

No.

If you can have a BMI of 40 and be successful then it isn't a sport.

Postby Prop

I remember an interview with Andy Fordham, at the peak of his bulk, and he said - without a shred of sarcasm - that he was an athlete. IIRC his doctor told him to wear running shoes to help him get through matches on his feet, and it stemmed from that. All rather amusing.

Postby Prop

Cloud Strife wrote:The IOC are a bunch of corrupt hammers anyway, just like FIFA.

Throw enough money their way and they'd quite happily recognise you as a sport.

Oh hell yeah. Again, Icarus goes into detail on these groups, and anti-doping committees. It’s all bent from top to bottom.

Postby gallantrabbit

He has the personality of an antagonistic ant. That's why he'll never win it. If he defended his sport/game once he would be a little more worthy. I fine it laughable that Davis backs him for SPOY when he sees how he behaves in matchs like the Selby one. Much more of a disgrace than a personality.

Postby shanew48

You don't see the high jump or long jump athletes "have a couple of magners" between their first attempt during the final and their 2nd attempt do you, that's why those are sports and snooker cannot be considered a sport unless you are going to tell me Stephen Lee was an athlete, overall this isn't even a debate if looked at logically, but clearly not everyone is looking at it logically hence why there have been so many responses to my original post.

Postby Holden Chinaski

shanew48 wrote:You don't see the high jump or long jump athletes "have a couple of magners" between their first attempt during the final and their 2nd attempt do you, that's why those are sports and snooker cannot be considered a sport unless you are going to tell me Stephen Lee was an athlete, overall this isn't even a debate if looked at logically, but clearly not everyone is looking at it logically hence why there have been so many responses to my original post.

You do realise Steve Davis won it?

Postby Johnny Bravo

vodkadiet1 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Image

What an athlete!!

<laugh> <laugh> <laugh>

This was when he was not competing, so it's irrelevant.
And the idea that you need to be physical in order to make it a sport is quite stupid.

Football is no more of a sport than say golf or darts.

In every sport u train to achieve a top level. Your average Joe of the street could never compete with a pro darts player, therefore darts is a sport.

Postby vodkadiet1

gallantrabbit wrote:He has the personality of an antagonistic ant. That's why he'll never win it. If he defended his sport/game once he would be a little more worthy. I fine it laughable that Davis backs him for SPOY when he sees how he behaves in matchs like the Selby one. Much more of a disgrace than a personality.

His deluded fans just encourage him to be an even bigger f*cktard than he already is.