Post a reply

Re: When Ronnie Fans Attack!

Postby TheRocket

Just saw my comment xD. Not saying which one but it was during the Selby match.

But lets be honest. When Selby was 13:9 ahead at one stage and had a great chance to make it 14 I highly doubt there were many who genuinely thought ROS could still win. Always easy to say you still did once Ronnie did win.

Selby is just granite in the longer session matches, especially over 4 sessions.

Postby SnookerFan

TheRocket wrote:Just saw my comment xD. Not saying which one but it was during the Selby match.

But lets be honest. When Selby was 13:9 ahead at one stage and had a great chance to make it 14 I highly doubt there were many who genuinely thought ROS could still win. Always easy to say you still did once Ronnie did win.

Selby is just granite in the longer session matches, especially over 4 sessions.

I was posting all the way through that match that Ronnie was going to win.

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Just saw my comment xD. Not saying which one but it was during the Selby match.

This is the problem when you support a particular player, you become emotionally attached and all clear-thinking goes out of the window.

Postby Iranu

I’m pretty sure the only time I was negative about Ronnie was at 13-9 down to Selby.

Admittedly it helped that I was supporting Ding and MJW in their matches. <laugh>

Postby mantorok

I'll be honest for some reason tensions were particularly high this year, the semi-final, after he clinched it I don't think I've shouted come-on that loudly before.

This did feel more nervy because he hadn't won 2 back-to-back titles in the previous years like he had in 2014, then you felt kind-of confident he would get it. Not to say I didn't back him, I did and I only faultered when Andre started getting negative and Selby reached 16.

Postby Iranu

mantorok wrote:

I'll be honest for some reason tensions were particularly high this year, the semi-final, after he clinched it I don't think I've shouted come-on that loudly before.

rofl

I was at a bar, already pretty drunk, sneak-watching it on my phone. I must have snake hissed a lot of people off with how loudly I banged the table.

Postby gallantrabbit

I love the way Ronnie plays but am not a fan. If you are a Ronnie fan then you should be horribly disappointed with him. If he can play like did did from 14-16 against Selby then he should have won 20 world titles by now. He is no sportsman. Sportsmen try all the time. Id he tried 100 % of the time only freak performances like Trump's last year, (not that is was a one off) would be enought o stop him.

Postby mantorok

Iranu wrote:
mantorok wrote:

rofl

I was at a bar, already pretty drunk, sneak-watching it on my phone. I must have snake hissed a lot of people off with how loudly I banged the table.

pmsl

Postby mantorok

gallantrabbit wrote:I love the way Ronnie plays but am not a fan. If you are a Ronnie fan then you should be horribly disappointed with him. If he can play like did did from 14-16 against Selby then he should have won 20 world titles by now. He is no sportsman. Sportsmen try all the time. Id he tried 100 % of the time only freak performances like Trump's last year, (not that is was a one off) would be enought o stop him.

Give the guy a break, he's bipolar ffs and his problems have been well documented throughout the years.

To achieve what he has with the level of expectancy from the fans, the crowds, fellow professionals, the pundits etc. is a massive achievement.

Postby Cloud Strife

gallantrabbit wrote:I love the way Ronnie plays but am not a fan. If you are a Ronnie fan then you should be horribly disappointed with him. If he can play like did did from 14-16 against Selby then he should have won 20 world titles by now. He is no sportsman. Sportsmen try all the time. Id he tried 100 % of the time only freak performances like Trump's last year, (not that is was a one off) would be enought o stop him.

This is such a silly and illogical post.

So you're saying because he managed to produce his peak level in 3 frames against Selby, he should therfore be able to perform to that level all the time? According to your logic it's just a case of wanting it enough and trying?

I'm sorry but this is complete and utter garbage.

I know we sometimes put these guys on a pedestal and expect superhuman feats from them all the time, but they are human beings at the end of the day. And like all human beings they will have their off days no matter how hard they try. You can't just turn it on and off like a switch, Ronnie is not a robot ffs.

By your silly reasoning, Trump should win every match he plays, as long as he produces to the same level as he did in the World final. But he doesnt, maybe because he doesn't try 100%?

Postby Dan-cat

Hello :wave:

Optimism bordering on lunacy.

What a peach of a thread. I was gonna do the same having just read back the latter part of the Ronnie/Selby semi.

Should be ashamed of yourselves.

I just watched the third and fourth sessions back without commentary. Not once did he look disinterested, bored, or like he'd given up. I will tell you how he looked - relaxed. Sure, there was the odd bit of growling and frustration, but almost immediately he let it go and got on with the next shot.

I've taken courses on body language, which is possibly why I knew that he did not once give up, or become disinterested. He was practicing mindfulness.

Postby The_Abbott

The title of this thread sounds like it might be a good horror film for SnookerFan to add to his DVD collection

Postby Dan-cat

Are you trolling or just a numpty? Do you think he can just play his A Game all the time, or that sometimes it just clicks and he can turn it on?

Mug post.

Postby SnookerFan

mantorok wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

This is the problem when you support a particular player, you become emotionally attached and all clear-thinking goes out of the window.

To be fair, I would be just as nervous should Ding get to The Crucible Final again.

The difference is though, Ding isn't a five time World Champion. Acting like Ronnie isn't physically capable of winning The Crucible is a bit daft.

I remember the year Ding played Selby, I thought Selby would be too strong for him. John Parrott made Ding strong favourite, then when Selby started to run away with it had to come on and pretty much admit that he had been a hammer.

Postby mantorok

Dan-cat wrote:Time and time again Ronnie has upped his game and won seemingly impossible matches. I had faith.

Ronnie opening up about the pressure of the crowd was enlightening, and when you look at the reactions on here you can see why, having the crowd bellowing "Come on Ronnie" whenever he goes to the table just compounds the pressure, no-one should be putting this much pressure on him when he's already achieved so much.

No other player has had this throughout their career, apart from Jimmy, and he couldn't hack it at times, so you can understand why it's an issue. Lot to deal with when you just want to focus on your own game.

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:So, in conclusion to this thread, Ronnie fans talk marmite.

taking after their hero.

Postby mantorok

One more, this is SFs attempt to defuse the situation:

SnookerFan wrote:
Rockettim147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Happy, Happy, Happy.

Why you Happy Happy Happy????

Snooker is on. Life is good.

rofl
Last edited by mantorok on 20 Aug 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:So, in conclusion to this thread, Ronnie fans talk marmite.

They talk as much sense as their hero, is my conclusion.

Postby Dragonfly

To be fair you can be a fan and support a player without having a great deal of optimism that they are going to win.

Plenty of people are fans of football teams that they know haven't got a hope of ever winning anything. But they are fans regardless.

I admit I was kinda shocked when Ronnie beat Selby. Delighted but shocked. I was at the stage where I thought he would never get past 5 world titles. His lacklustre performances at the Crucible since 2014 didn't give me a whole lot of optimism. But you keep on watching and hoping nonetheless.

Postby Andre147

Dragonfly wrote:To be fair you can be a fan and support a player without having a great deal of optimism that they are going to win.

Plenty of people are fans of football teams that they know haven't got a hope of ever winning anything. But they are fans regardless.

I admit I was kinda shocked when Ronnie beat Selby. Delighted but shocked. I was at the stage where I thought he would never get past 5 world titles. His lacklustre performances at the Crucible since 2014 didn't give me a whole lot of optimism. But you keep on watching and hoping nonetheless.

And now? Do you believe he can win a 7th?

Postby SnookerFan

Dragonfly wrote:To be fair you can be a fan and support a player without having a great deal of optimism that they are going to win.

Well, I support West Brom, and am about as pessimistic about their chances as possible.

But then, I'd hardly say Ronnie was like West Brom, is he? He's more like a top team.

I understand that being a fan of a sportsmen means you tend to get nervous if they get near the winning line. It just gets a bit annoying that his fans act like he's got no chance of winning anything. He was a multiple World Champion coming into the tournament this year. Somebody compared his Crucible record to Jimmy White, for buck sake.

Postby SnookerEd25

Tell me about it; one of my favourite all-time players was Tony Drago :hmmm:

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:

Well, I support West Brom, and am about as pessimistic about their chances as possible.

But then, I'd hardly say Ronnie was like West Brom, is he? He's more like a top team.

I understand that being a fan of a sportsmen means you tend to get nervous if they get near the winning line. It just gets a bit annoying that his fans act like he's got no chance of winning anything. He was a multiple World Champion coming into the tournament this year. Somebody compared his Crucible record to Jimmy White, for buck sake.

Well with football, the more successful the club the more easilythe fans turn negative. Look at how Arsenal fans felt about Wenger. And look at them now. Or how Barca and Real fans demand a new manager and a couple of hundred million on new players if they finish 2nd for a couple of seasons.

With Ronnie, I think a lot of fans still have the mentality they did pre-Steve Peters, when basically (to oversimplify a bit) Ronnie would either play brilliantly or he’d lose. When you’ve been used to that for so long it can be hard not to be negative when things aren’t going his way; I’ve had to train myself out of it.

I also don’t think it was unreasonable to assume Ronnie would lose at 13-9 and 16-14 down against Selby of all people. It was far more irritating when the comments were coming thick and fast in the first sessions of matches.

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:Somebody compared his Crucible record to Jimmy White, for buck sake.

JFC, who the hell was spouting that rubbish?

rofl

Postby SnookerFan

mantorok wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Somebody compared his Crucible record to Jimmy White, for buck sake.

rofl

I forget, but I'm exaggerating.

They said they got as nervous watching Ronnie play at The Crucible as they did watching Jimmy White play there.

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:
mantorok wrote:

rofl

I forget, but I'm exaggerating.

They said they got as nervous watching Ronnie play at The Crucible as they did watching Jimmy White play there.

That's hilarious, considering Jimmy was probably snake hissed half the time or on coke, or both.