Post a reply

Re: Selby Says that Ronnies Shots were 'disrespectful'

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:I personally think it's far more disrespectful when you keep coming back to the table needing 3 or more snookers, as Selby so often does. Knowing you can't win the frame, but still doing it, just to throw your opponent off their rhythm.

The Sport is called Snooker not Hit and Hope

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:I personally think it's far more disrespectful when you keep coming back to the table needing 3 or more snookers, as Selby so often does. Knowing you can't win the frame, but still doing it, just to throw your opponent off their rhythm.

The hit and hope guy won that snooker match.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:

Keep seething, mate. I'm loving it. :D

Postby mantorok

eraserhead wrote:
Acé wrote:Question for ROS fans do u consider this one of the greatest shots in Ronnie's career given the circumstances?

https://twitter.com/Nick_Metcalfe/statu ... 9442184193

Great shot but I was more impressed with the pot on the last red. This wasn't a session about any one shot, he got so many do or die shots.

Yeah the last red was tough, but he nailed it perfectly.

Postby mantorok

Wildey wrote:

Does that mean potting balls is not allowed as well?

Postby Holden Chinaski

mantorok wrote:
eraserhead wrote:
Acé wrote:Question for ROS fans do u consider this one of the greatest shots in Ronnie's career given the circumstances?

https://twitter.com/Nick_Metcalfe/statu ... 9442184193

Great shot but I was more impressed with the pot on the last red. This wasn't a session about any one shot, he got so many do or die shots.

Yeah the last red was tough, but he nailed it perfectly.

Doesn't matter. It's called Snooker, not Potting.

Postby eraserhead

mantorok wrote:Yeah the last red was tough, but he nailed it perfectly.

When he broke down on 70+ the previous frame there was a tricky red and yellow he potted into the bottom corner after Selby played a safety. That killed the frame and he didn't get drawn into 10+ minute battle on the last red, little things like that played a huge role.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:I can only think of one hit and hope when Ronnie didn't leave anything. The others he always left a pot for Selby. He just be thankful he managed to get inside Ronnie's scrambled head at the time.

Yea he lost frames because of it personally i liked the idea however i doubt most of his fans would be happy with Ronnie had that red finished over the pocket and then the likes of Cloud, Johnny Bravo maybe even you would be saying

"Ronnies head gone"
"Hes a bucking disgrace"
"What the hell is wrong with him"

etc etc etc

He could have easily lost that match it was not great snooker but it was entertaining Snooker.

And i don't think it was disrespecting Selby because he did the same against Higgins in the CoC and we know he respects John.

The fact he played like that showed desperation and when a player shows desperation its showing great respect to the other player last night it came off for him.

My stand on it is simple it's your shot play it the way you want 6 minute a shot or hit and hope its your choice it's your shot.

Selby should have taken it as a compliment but after losing a highly emotional match talking to Rob Walker straight after not a good idea but you have to.

Postby Andre147

He could have refused to talk to Walker but obviously that would seen as a bad loser not wanting to make a post-match interview.

The hit and hope were more damaging to Ronnie than to Selby. I said at the time his head was gone because he couldnt be fussed to come out with a solution to escapr from snookers. Turns out his kamikaze tactic actually worked.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I think Ronnie played some kamikaze shots because thinking too long about escaping snookers drains him and makes him lose his rhythm, and going for pots gives him energy. It was a way of confusing Selby and also saying I'm not playing your game and I'm not scared. He got rid of a lot of frustration by playing those kamikaze shots and after that he played absolutely brilliant snooker to win the match. It was a close one, but he did it in the end because of his unbelievable bottle.

Postby shanew48

Ck147 wrote:
D4P wrote:Let he who has never taken 6 minutes to play a shot cast the first stone.

Lol. Different ends of the spectrum these two. If you take 6 minutes for a shot to grind your opponent into the ground, don't complain when someone takes the opposite approach and quickly smashes the balls and beats you.

There is no comparison in the two things, you are using false equivalency, what Ronnie did, as in the brilliant long reds to get in and the breaks in amazingly quick time was in fact something that rather than a very select few I would say could/would anyway else have taken that approach, and here is the key, actually be able to pull it off when looking down at out, nobody can turn it on like a light switch the way Ronnie did last night.

Where as Selby for example last night at one point Ronnie fouled and selby came and stood in front of the table trying to give the impression that he had a difficult decision to make as to whether he should put him in again or not, he knew from a second after the shot that that is what he was going to do, everyone knew that is what he was going to do but he stood there on purpose for well over a minute as he was trying one of his gamesmanship tactics that has worked many times in the past but not this time, so I disagree that "only a few select can grind the way Selby does" in the sense that if you're talking about gamesmanship, wasting time, trying to slow the game down to effect your opponent, then I don't agree as I could stand at the table and wait over a minute to make a decision that I know and everyone knows that I could have made in literally 3 seconds.

Well, for once the hunter got hunted didn't he! and it really rattled him! so at least we know the approach Ronnie will take in their next meeting when snookered, I'd rather see Ronnie potting those sublime long reds to get in and then make big breaks in 4 or 5 minutes then spend 10 minutes trying to get out of a snooker.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:He could have refused to talk to Walker but obviously that would seen as a bad loser not wanting to make a post-match interview.

The hit and hope were more damaging to Ronnie than to Selby. I said at the time his head was gone because he couldnt be fussed to come out with a solution to escapr from snookers. Turns out his kamikaze tactic actually worked.

In the first 4 frames he played proper Snooker, and he thought things was going brilliantly but then it was still 15-13 Selby that's when kamikaze started happening he had no answers to Selby, so he decided to throw the kitchen sink at everything and it worked. You have to change game plan sometime Selby goes in to Grind Mode and Ronnie went the Russian roulete route i have no problem with it that what you got to do to change things up its Sport and play whichever way you want to try and get the win.

Many players have played that way behind and before you know it you either out or the score is a lot closer.

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski wrote:What about Selby slowing the game down and making frames go scrappy? It's called 'Snooker', not 'Slow and Scrappy'.

Ronnie won fair and square. Don't be salty like Selby.

As i said its your shot play it whichever way you like

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:What about Selby slowing the game down and making frames go scrappy? It's called 'Snooker', not 'Slow and Scrappy'.

Ronnie won fair and square. Don't be salty like Selby.

As i said its your shot play it whichever way you like

Agreed. :hatoff:

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:He could have refused to talk to Walker but obviously that would seen as a bad loser not wanting to make a post-match interview.

In the first 4 frames he played proper Snooker, and he thought things was going brilliantly but then it was still 15-13 Selby that's when kamikaze started happening he had no answers to Selby, so he decided to throw the kitchen sink at everything and it worked. You have to change game plan sometime Selby goes in to Grind Mode and Ronnie went the Russian roulete route i have no problem with it that what you got to do to change things up its Sport and play whichever way you want to try and get the win.

Many players have played that way behind and before you know it you either out or the score is a lot closer.

Yes I do agree with that. At 13-13 things were going well, but he saw Selby wasnt rattled and yeah when he led 15-13 Ronnie decided it was time for do or die shots, he wasnt going to get bogged down anymore, win or lose the match.

Dangerous tactic, probably 95% of the times this wouldn't work but yesterday it did!

Postby D4P

Worth noting that Ronnie was accused of being disrespectful back when he first started playing left-handed shots, too. He plays a different game than everyone else, and he's good at the game he plays. He also doesn't care about winning as much as society expects him too, which is partly why he's willing to take risks that other players aren't willing to take.

Postby shanew48

D4P wrote:Worth noting that Ronnie was accused of being disrespectful back when he first started playing left-handed shots, too. He plays a different game than everyone else, and he's good at the game he plays. He also doesn't care about winning as much as society expects him too, which is partly why he's willing to take risks that other players aren't willing to take.

I agree with most of your post but disagree that he doesn't care about winning, whatever he says publicly, deep down he is desperate to win the WC again in my opinion.

Postby D4P

shanew48 wrote:I agree with most of your post but disagree that he doesn't care about winning, whatever he says publicly, deep down he is desperate to win the WC again in my opinion.

To say that Ronnie cares less about winning that other players is not to say that he doesn't care about winning. If you were to imagine that every player cares a greater-than-zero amount about (1) winning and (2) cueing/playing well, and that each player cares a total of 100 points about winning and cueing, I would say that most players have a winning to cueing ratio of something like 90 to 10 or higher, whereas Ronnie's ratio has always been much lower than that, whether 70 to 30 or 60 to 40 or even less 40 to 60 or 30 to 70.

For most of Ronnie's career up until the past few years, his ratio might have been even lower than 30 to 70, which is why he gave up on so many matches when he didn't feel good about his cue action and such. It has only been in recent years that Ronnie has become nearly as willing as other top players to fight for wins despite not feeling good about how they were playing.
Last edited by D4P on 15 Aug 2020, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

D4P wrote:
shanew48 wrote:I agree with most of your post but disagree that he doesn't care about winning, whatever he says publicly, deep down he is desperate to win the WC again in my opinion.

To say that Ronnie cares less about winning that other players is not to say that he doesn't care about winning. If you were to imagine that every players cares a greater-than-zero amount about (1) winning and (2) cueing/playing well, and that each player cares a total of 100 points about winning and cueing, I would say that most players have a winning to cueing ratio of something like 90 to 10 or higher, whereas Ronnie's ratio has always been much lower than that, whether 70 to 30 or 60 to 40 or even less 40 to 60 or 30 to 70.

For most of Ronnie's career up until the past few years, his ratio might have been even lower than 30 to 70, which is why he gave up on so many matches when he didn't feel good about his cue action and such. It has only been in recent years that Ronnie has become nearly as willing as other to players to fight for wins despite not feeling good about how they were playing.

Decent post