Post a reply

Re: Selby Says that Ronnies Shots were 'disrespectful'

Postby Prop

Pink Ball wrote:
Acé wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Acé wrote:It reminded me a lot of Higgins CoC 2019

seems like Ronnie CAN put fear into even the likes of Higgins if he decides to full attack, and if i remember correctly everything went in that match, Higgins got hammered and was made to look like he barely existed in the match

Quite right. He was down at 13 sec a shot, same pace as when he played Thepps at this tournament.

He wasn't quite as quick today, but if anything took on even more aggressive shots and obviously when snookered he just hoped for the best lol.

On his final snooker though he played his best safety shot of the match and that won him the match in the end.

Selby fans ain't giving him credit for that saying it was a fluke but Ronnie didn't smash that, he controlled it with pace and knew where he wanted the red and white to go

It was the best safety shot of the match. 100% not a fluke.

+1. As played.

Postby Prop

Are people forgetting about the frame that went down to pink and black? Ronnie could see half the pink, initially attempted a thin one with running side round the angles. Foul and a miss. Gets put back in, so he wallops the white into the side cushion missing the pink by a mile. Foul and a miss, snookers required.

I bet Selby isn’t complaining about that one.

Postby arx

Acé wrote:It reminded me a lot of Higgins CoC 2019

seems like Ronnie CAN put fear into even the likes of Higgins if he decides to full attack, and if i remember correctly everything went in that match, Higgins got hammered and was made to look like he barely existed in the match

Would anyone see that as 'disrespectful' to Higgins in the same way as Ronnie treated Selby? If the argument of respect is to be taken seriously, I feel like Higgins deserves it much more than Selby where 'proper' matchplay snooker is concerned.

Respect, as the saying goes, is earned, not given.

Postby gallantrabbit

Of course he was disrespectful. That is what O'sullivan does best, even better than play snooker, and that's saying something. . I can't stand the sight of him. But only he could play those last 3 frames like he did, no-one else. Selby's chance wasn't in the evening. He should have had his foot on the throat in the evening at 15-9. O'sullivan was already playing up in the morning, but Mark wasn't quite able to take advantage. Great shame we will have the sneering berk as champion unless Wilson pulls off a miracle.

Postby gallantrabbit

Prop wrote:Are people forgetting about the frame that went down to pink and black? Ronnie could see half the pink, initially attempted a thin one with running side round the angles. Foul and a miss. Gets put back in, so he wallops the white into the side cushion missing the pink by a mile. Foul and a miss, snookers required.

I bet Selby isn’t complaining about that one.

Yes he would complain about that one too. Play in the spirit of the game. That's part of what being a professional is about.

Postby mantorok

As far as I know Ronnie just didn't want to get bogged down with safety so decided to play a more attacking game. He refused to partake in drawn out frames.

How is that any different to someone wanting to slow the game down and grind it out?

Postby Holden Chinaski

Pink Ball wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:I personally think it's far more disrespectful when you keep coming back to the table needing 3 or more snookers, as Selby so often does. Knowing you can't win the frame, but still doing it, just to throw your opponent off their rhythm.

Neither is disrespectful, but both are tactics that are within the rules of the sport. Opposite ends of the spectrum, but O'Sullivan did something within the rules to try and rattle his opponent. I'm not sure if it worked on that end, but it definitely lifted the pressure from O'Sullivan, and he played scintillatingly well.

Nowt wrong with either approach.

Agreed.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I always had a lot of respect for Selby, but these comments about Ronnie being disrespectful because he didn't play the safety game Selby wants to play are disappointing. Coming from someone who likes to play mind games, makes frames go scrappy and slow, and keeps coming to the table for snookers... It's a bit pathetic he's complaining about someone who does the opposite. Ronnie wanted to play aggressive, that's his strength. Nowt wrong with that.

Selby actually used the phrase "mind games". Talk about a pot and a kettle. Sour grapes in my opinion.

As Doherty said, Selby was probably so disappointed he said things he may regret now.

I think Ronnie was very mature and honest in his interview.

Postby Dragonfly

I first became a fan of Ronnie while watching the 1993 UK final. Since then there has been so many memorable matches. Many wins and many defeats. But last night ranks as one of his best ever wins.

I honestly didn't think he could beat Selby over that distance. Of course he is way more skillful than Selby and always will be. I just didn't think he would stick with the task. It's such an ordeal playing Selby.

Over the sessions Ronnie stuck in there. Clawing his way back when he wasn't playing particularly well. Selby is used to getting his own way when he turns the screw, grinding down players. But he couldn't shake off Ronnie.

When Ronnie did explode into life the last few frames you could see the shock on Selby's face. The aftermatch comments were sour grapes really. I have absolutely zero sympathy for Selby. In fact I love to see him so upset. He is clearly a talented player but his slow, grinding techniques are painfull to the extreme

Postby Dan-cat

mantorok wrote:As far as I know Ronnie just didn't want to get bogged down with safety so decided to play a more attacking game. He refused to partake in drawn out frames.

How is that any different to someone wanting to slow the game down and grind it out?

Exactly this.

Postby vodkadiet1

gallantrabbit wrote:Of course he was disrespectful. That is what O'sullivan does best, even better than play snooker, and that's saying something. . I can't stand the sight of him. But only he could play those last 3 frames like he did, no-one else. Selby's chance wasn't in the evening. He should have had his foot on the throat in the evening at 15-9. O'sullivan was already playing up in the morning, but Mark wasn't quite able to take advantage. Great shame we will have the sneering berk as champion unless Wilson pulls off a miracle.

He wasn't being disrespectful. He wanted to give the impression that he didn't care and it actually worked for him. The fact that it affected Selby was a side issue. It worked. Sure he got lucky but that is the game. Selby had his chances to win and only has himself to blame. O'Sullivan can play how he wants. There is no rule saying you cannot smash the balls around. Maguire often does it when snookered.

Of course, O'Sullivan is as you say a 'sneering berk' but he isn't all bad. He isn't a Tory supporter. I would rather have O'Sullivan winning ten World Championships than having Boris Johnson as PM.

We don't have to watch snooker. We don't have to join snooker forums. It is a choice. I personally won't be watching it unless Wilson is keeping it close. I doubt that will happen however.

Selby and the other players have to live up to higher standards than O'Sullivan. I am sure Selby will be disappointed with his comments today, more even than the loss of the match.

Good luck Kyren, you will need a lot of it.

Postby mantorok

Acé wrote:Question for ROS fans do u consider this one of the greatest shots in Ronnie's career given the circumstances?

https://twitter.com/Nick_Metcalfe/statu ... 9442184193

It's up there with the 2 opening reds from the previous frames, but you can't argue this effectively won him the match.

His whole career? Not too sure about that.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Acé wrote:Question for ROS fans do u consider this one of the greatest shots in Ronnie's career given the circumstances?

Great shot but Ronnie has played many brilliant shots under huge pressure. Many of them a lot more impressive than that.

Postby Andre147

Acé wrote:Has to be top 10 I can see that shot being analysed a lot in the future as part of the last 3 frames being analysed

If you put the context into play, probably Top 10, because it also won him the match.

But he has played a hell lot of great shots down the years and made some unbelievable clearances too.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Cloud Strife wrote:The sour grapes and bitterness shown from Selby makes this victory for Ronnie even sweeter.

Didn't just beat him on the table, but destroyed him mentally also.

:happy:

Ronnie h*ters on this forum making fools of themselves make it even sweeter for me.

:D

Postby eraserhead

Great shot but I was more impressed with the pot on the last red. This wasn't a session about any one shot, he got so many do or die shots.

Postby Holden Chinaski

eraserhead wrote:

Great shot but I was more impressed with the pot on the last red. This wasn't a session about any one shot, he got so many do or die shots.

Yes, the last red was great. So much pressure on that but he just casually got into his stance and potted it as if he was down at the club having some fun.