Post a reply

Re: Pink Ball’s Top 50 Iconic Snooker Players of All Time

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:I ate six slices of pizza* while reading that, I was rapt.

*more commonly known as a pizza

Toppings?

Sorry for the delay! I was in the middle of replying before the site went down.

Ok so the pizza was called The Inferno, and it was the classic spicy pepperoni / chilli / American Hot variant. It's actually not pepperoni here in Spain, but a spicy version of chorizo, of course. I got it as a take away from a bar here in the village where I am currently in the Valencian region (I'm back here now for a couple of weeks, having spent a month in a fab hippy hangout in Almeria, where you can stay for free in exchange for two to three hours work a day around the house, cooking, cleaning, in the garden, whatever needs doing.) This bar, called Pelut, has a pizza and kebab place inside it! You can literally get drunk, then have a kebab or pizza, without having to go anywhere. It would be Willo's dream pub! In the winter, the two kebab burners and clay pizza oven keep the place warm. In the summer, you sit outside in the street, with a fabulous mountain view.

The guy that owns the place also owns an Indian restaurant in a local town, Oliva, so the hot sauce is homemade and it is fabulous. (in Spanish, this is casero - home-made) I don't why they don't bottle it and sell it! (well I do, this is Spain, and they do the bare minimum to tick over, rather than chasing every possible dollar.) When I order take away from here, it's a military operation to get back up the mountain to the retreat before they get too cold. I pay the bill early, hovering near the serving place, then make a mad drive up the mountain (it takes about 12 mins.)

Postby Dragonfly

It's right Davis is so high in the list. He is iconic in the sense that not only was he a wonderful player but is synonymous with the 80s. He's a part of that decade,as much as the music and clothes.

At the time he was one of the most famous faces in Britain. So very much a cultural icon. Important enough to have a spitting image puppet as a previous poster mentioned.

A huge star at the time. And great to see he's all round national treasure now.

Postby Ck147

Dan-cat wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Davis is the only man who seriously challenged Higgins for me. The only figure in snooker who I think is due a knighthood.

+1

+2

Postby Ck147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Ck147 wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Davis is the only man who seriously challenged Higgins for me. The only figure in snooker who I think is due a knighthood.

+1

+2

Mark Davis??

Wrong era dude

Postby Juddernaut88

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Hendry and Judd Trump top 2 and that is all :D

Hendry is not a flair player and Judd hasn't done enough yet. ;-)

I don't care if Hendry is a flair player or not. This would be my own personal list.

Postby mick745

Pink Ball wrote:13. Mark Selby
Mark Selby ranks highly, as you’d expect of a three-time World Champion, although his reputation as one of the game’s great love-him-or-hate-him characters probably has as much to do with his position as the quality of his play.
Selby’s rivalry with Ronnie O’Sullivan has cooled down in recent years, but matches between the two are, still, rarely not memorable, and their rivalry will go down as one of the greatest the sport has ever seen.
Not a whole lot of notice was taken of him in his early years as a professional as, frankly, there was little sign of the player he would eventually become. However, his run to the 2007 World final kick-started an illustrious career that has yielded nearly 20 ranking titles and three World Championships to date.
His style has always divided opinion; he rarely puts even average players away easily, and his tactical approach, while masterful, is not always entertaining to everyone.
But, if anything, that has only strengthened his position as one of the sport’s iconic figures. Love him or hate him, Mark Selby is a snooker legend.

Four time World Champion surely?

Postby TheRocket

I dont necessarily agree with Selby being 13rd (should be slightly higher) but iconic isnt just about being successful, Things like popularity and legacy play a big part.

Prime example. Selby has had far more success than Jimmy but Jimmy is the bigger icon. Selby should definitely be above someone like Terry Griffiths though.

Postby McManusFan

TheRocket wrote:I dont necessarily agree with Selby being 13rd (should be slightly higher) but iconic isnt just about being successful, Things like popularity and legacy play a big part.

Prime example. Selby has had far more success than Jimmy but Jimmy is the bigger icon. Selby should definitely be above someone like Terry Griffiths though.

Popularity is definately important, but so is infamy. Selby is great as a sort of pantemime snooker villain.

Postby TheRocket

McManusFan wrote:
TheRocket wrote:I dont necessarily agree with Selby being 13rd (should be slightly higher) but iconic isnt just about being successful, Things like popularity and legacy play a big part.

Popularity is definately important, but so is infamy. Selby is great as a sort of pantemime snooker villain.

yes good point. As I said I would put him slightly higher, maybe 10. There are like 8-9 players (A.Higgins,Davis,Hendry,Jimmy, Class of 92, Joe Davis,Reardon) who are bigger icons than Selby but anyone else is debatable and Selby has strong arguments on his side.