Post a reply

Re: Brecel to get on the main tour for 2010/11 ??

Postby Roland

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Sonny wrote:Arrogant statement? Ever heard of autism? http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... sport.html

i know but you cant say a statement isnt aragant if someone with autism says it the statement was aragant no getting away from that yes autism means he sometimes says things in wrong context.

but no excuses we all know the press will not report it in the right context

It's a symptom. Moondan always said Shaun Murphy was autistic and he has always had an air of arrogance around him and I think moondan was right. I mean I'm not a doctor but I know what autism is and part of it is to do with not understanding other peoples emotional response which explains some of the things Murphy has come out with in his time.

Anyway, saying all that it makes no difference to me what he says. Everyone has heard of Luca for years now so he's clearly on the verge of doing big things in the game.

And by the way wild, who was the most arrogant snooker player of all time? :santa:

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Arrogance is a good thing imo, shows he believes in himself.

yes i have nothing against arrogance however sooner rather than later you got to back that up.

Stephen Hendry was Arrogant but he backed up everything he said he was going to do within the time he arrogantly said he would.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Hang on a minute wild, he's 15 ...

exactly

thats why statements like that isnt good if in 5 years time hes still won nothing. If he has then Great im not judging him on what he sais just hope he delivers what he sais sooner rather than later.

Postby Monique

I wouldn't take all this too litterally. Each time I met Luca what I saw is a boy who hardly utters a word and who's social skills aren't the strong point to say the least. So I would be carefull not to pass judgement based on just this stament reported in an interview. I have seen how journalists trigger answers with much more experienced players and I wouldn't be surprised if Luca isn't a master qualifying his answers.
BTW self-belief isn't a bad thing.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:So you expect a 15 year old to play his chances down, despite having such an impressive career at junior level ?

NO i said its great but Words come back to bite you on the ass.

its great hes confident its great every player is confident but then when he not delivering and gets criticised after statements like that you and others say ohhhhh didms he is only 20. then hes only 25 on and on.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:So you're basically criticising him before he's had a chance to prove himself ... nice one wild :roll:

Do you work for world snooker because you coming over as a thick runt .

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Bourne wrote:So you're basically criticising him before he's had a chance to prove himself ... nice one wild :roll:

Do you work for world snooker because you coming over as a thick runt .

<laugh>

Wild, get down with your badself :dance:

Postby Wildey

Sorry Bourne but the shitty way you see something i did not bucking say is right out of seifers book of rubbish.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:I wouldn't take all this too litterally. Each time I met Luca what I saw is a boy who hardly utters a word and who's social skills aren't the strong point to say the least. So I would be carefull not to pass judgement based on just this stament reported in an interview. I have seen how journalists trigger answers with much more experienced players and I wouldn't be surprised if Luca isn't a master qualifying his answers.
BTW self-belief isn't a bad thing.

that is exactly how i seen it but unfortunally bourne started his crap and i ended up talking not necessarily about Brecel but Arrogance in general from players.

Postby Monique

What I meant with journalists triggering answers isn't implying they have bad or dishonest intentions. Things could happen like in ... "Luca, do you think you can win one?" "Oh yes!"... full of youthfull enthousiam (note this is just a "fiction" example out of my imagination here but I hope you see what I mean)

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:What I meant with journalists triggering answers isn't implying they have bad or dishonest intentions. Things could happen like in ... "Luca, do you think you can win one?" "Oh yes!"... full of youthfull enthousiam (note this is just a "fiction" example out of my imagination here but I hope you see what I mean)

thats his biggest problam Press will put words in his mouth and change context in what he meant it.

he has to be very carefull in what he sais but hes only 15 and like i say confidence is great but as a young player you want to settle in to matches and a career and not having a seasoned pro going in with a atetute ill show you mate.

Postby Monique

It happens all the time and as I said not necessarily with any ill purpose in mind. It's also on us fans to take things reasonably and not interpret or blow them out of proportion.

Postby SnookerFan

I don't know much about Brecel, but can I ask? How serious is his autism? Autism is quite a mental illness with quite a range of severities. In that some people can have it and you'd barely notice. But other people have extreme cases, where they can't understand anything that happens around them at all, almost.

Not that I am an expert, but sometimes when you meet people with autism, they say things that are inapprorpriate, or sound rude, because they don't know exactly what they are saying. And he may well say; "I think I'm going to win", meaning "I'd really like to win, and I've been thinking how good it will be". At a guess, and without knowing Brecel's severity, I would suggest his quote could be taken somewhat out of context. And also, despite what that Russian hammer said, it can be an advantage. There is a certain obession towards things when your autistic, almost to the point where you want to learn as much as you can about the things you do understand. If he obsessively practices, who knows, it could work to his advantage.

Postby Monique

Luca is certainly not an extreme case because extreme cases are unable to sustain any form of social life.
I'd say he is a bit like Shaun Murphy: in some cases he might well say inappropriate things not because he is nasty and wanting to hurt people but because of lack of social sensitivity and a strong focus on himself.