Post a reply

Re: Selby's 6 minute shot time - ever justified?

Postby shanew48

SnookerFan wrote:So basically, Selby has brain damage and the referee should've told him to stop taking the snake hiss. Got it.

I guess a 'brain freeze' that lasts over 6 minutes whether playing snooker or doing anything else would point to some sort of cognitive issue.

I agree that if there was ever an occasion for a ref to intervene surely that was it, simply just to check that the player was still coherent if nothing else, it begs the question, what would it take for a ref to ask a player to move things along? a 10 minute + 'brain freeze'? I mean what if this mystery brain freeze condition had turned out to be a stroke? the 'lovely vicky' would have maybe had a legal case for negligence against world snooker?

Postby Iranu

I’ve had my brain freeze for 5 minutes or more over choices far less important than a shot in a professional snooker match.

I don’t think it was deliberate from Selby. Not because I don’t think he’d intentionally slow a game down, we’ve all seen it happen now and then. But normally he does it by putting balls safe and messing the table up, maybe going back to his chair for a sip of water a bit more often, things that are within the realms of normal play. It doesn’t make sense for something so brazen to be his game plan.

The referee should definitely have had a word regardless.

Postby SnookerEd25

Dragonfly wrote:Thankfully these brain freezes don't happen to often. I'd hate the local bus driver to leave the bus sitting at a green light for 6 minutes cos he's frozen and forgotten how to drive!

Sometimes they forget they’ve switched routes & drive a double decker under a low bridge.

Its been known to happen...

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:I’ve had my brain freeze for 5 minutes or more over choices far less important than a shot in a professional snooker match.

I don’t think it was deliberate from Selby. Not because I don’t think he’d intentionally slow a game down, we’ve all seen it happen now and then. But normally he does it by putting balls safe and messing the table up, maybe going back to his chair for a sip of water a bit more often, things that are within the realms of normal play. It doesn’t make sense for something so brazen to be his game plan.

The referee should definitely have had a word regardless.

It was far too long to play the shot no doubt about that and in the end he went for a pot.

There was plenty of safety shots he could have played to put john in trouble it was obviously a brain freeze. Seen the likes of Ray Reardon take time over a obvious shot in the past that was deliberate gamesmanship that what Ray did but Mark there just had one of those moments.

Postby Andre147

We aren't stuck in the 80s Wild. What Ray Reardon did back then has nothing to do with the present.

The present is now, and Selby not long ago took an abnormal amount of time to play a specific shot, not snookered or anything. Should the referee have stepped in? Maybe, but only he was the best judge to assess the situation.

Postby Iranu

Andre147 wrote:We aren't stuck in the 80s Wild. What Ray Reardon did back then has nothing to do with the present.

The present is now, and Selby not long ago took an abnormal amount of time to play a specific shot, not snookered or anything. Should the referee have stepped in? Maybe, but only he was the best judge to assess the situation.

Mark Williams has done it too, far more recently than Reardon. Acted like he couldn’t get through to a pot then sailed it in with ease.

The key is whether Selby did what he did deliberately. I don’t think he did.

I think you’re being diplomatic - you agree that Selby took an abnormal amount of time but you’re reluctant to say the ref should have intervened. I understand why, but it seems clear he should have said something.

Postby McManusFan

I don't think it's quite as clear cut as to whether the ref should have said something. If it was a brain freeze (I think it probably was), then the ref saying something and snapping him out of it is effectively helping the player - it isn't the ref's job to coach any of the players out of some sort of mental pit.

Postby Iranu

McManusFan wrote:I don't think it's quite as clear cut as to whether the ref should have said something. If it was a brain freeze (I think it probably was), then the ref saying something and snapping him out of it is effectively helping the player - it isn't the ref's job to coach any of the players out of some sort of mental pit.

Even if it’s not deliberate, the ref has to treat it like it is.

It’s very rare that a player will deliberately touch a ball with their finger, or touch the wrong ball with their cue. But the ref still has to call a foul.

Postby Scooper

McManusFan wrote:I don't think it's quite as clear cut as to whether the ref should have said something. If it was a brain freeze (I think it probably was), then the ref saying something and snapping him out of it is effectively helping the player - it isn't the ref's job to coach any of the players out of some sort of mental pit.

I doubt he’d be accused of influencing the match for saying “Hey Mark - my nan who would be 145 today could’ve taken a shot in this time”

Postby McManusFan

Scooper wrote:

I doubt he’d be accused of influencing the match for saying “Hey Mark - my nan who would be 145 today could’ve taken a shot in this time”

I don't know, imagine if you were the opponent. You see Selby all at sea, he can't even see a simple safety, then the ref tells him he's taking a long time - he snaps out of it and plays a brillaint shot. You've gone from sitting back, smuggly sipping your water as you watch your opponent struggle with the simplest of shots to having the pressure piled on you.

I know this is just a stupid hypothetical, but the ref needs to be careful about how they intervene. Does anyone know if there are specific guidelines as to how refs are meant to imlepent the slow play rules?

Postby Holden Chinaski

Iranu wrote:Mark Williams has done it too, far more recently than Reardon. Acted like he couldn’t get through to a pot then sailed it in with ease.

In his autobiography, Ronnie said that MJW likes to play little mind games like that sometimes. He said sometimes MJW likes to act like a ball can't get through, to give the opponent some hope, then pot it with ease, just like you said.

Postby Andre147

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Iranu wrote:Mark Williams has done it too, far more recently than Reardon. Acted like he couldn’t get through to a pot then sailed it in with ease.

In his autobiography, Ronnie said that MJW likes to play little mind games like that sometimes. He said sometimes MJW likes to act like a ball can't get through, to give the opponent some hope, then pot it with ease, just like you said.

I think that's what John Parrot used to do, but maybe MJW as well.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:We aren't stuck in the 80s Wild. What Ray Reardon did back then has nothing to do with the present.

It has EVERYTHING to do with present EVERYTHING.

If today's fans thinks Today's Game is slow and if there's gamesmanship happening on mass they are in cloud coocoo land the Slowest players today would have been considered fast back then.

Snookers success has been built on the past and that what was happening then. Snooker fans have been spoilt and a lot act like spoilt brats when the game not as fast as they would like it.

Postby Dan-cat

Iranu wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:People are talking about 'brain freeze' like it's an actual thing. It's not. He just couldn't decide what to play. For 6 minutes.

Of course it’s a real thing! It’s called abulia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abulia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aboulomania

Diminished motivation? Is that what Ebdon suffered from when he slowed it down? <laugh>

Postby Johnny Bravo

Andre147 wrote:
Scooper wrote:Ref should’ve stopped the match.

He can't. At most in that situation he would have given Selby a word, but that is not a warning. A warning only comes if he did something similar again after being told not to do it.

Can't you warn him for taking too long ?

Or even better, can't you dock him the frame ?

Postby Andre147

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Scooper wrote:Ref should’ve stopped the match.

He can't. At most in that situation he would have given Selby a word, but that is not a warning. A warning only comes if he did something similar again after being told not to do it.

Can't you warn him for taking too long ?

Or even better, can't you dock him the frame ?

You can warn a player AFTER having a word of slow play. If after the warning he continues like that, then yes you can dock him a frame, and even the match if it were serious enough.

Postby D4P

I think there should be a 2-minute shot clock for every shot at every event (except the Shootout), with increasing penalty points assigned for every X seconds over 2 minutes a player goes.