Post a reply

If you were

Postby shanew48

Fergal O'Brian would losing that 7-2 lead to Hunter in the masters final still keep you awake at night from time to time?

Obviously it's different for the players who have won multiple TC events but just thinking it must be pretty difficult if you have only been in one TC final over a very long career and had a huge lead and lost it, obviously he sleeps easier than Mike Hallet fair enough but still think you wouldn't ever get over it in a way as any TC win is a big deal and will leave the legacy that you were a very good player as opposed to just a good one.

Re: If you were

Postby Juddernaut88

It's definitely a match he'll more than likely never get over.

Postby mick745

I suppose at the time you think more opportunities will come along but as the years went by and it didnt happen he probably realises it was a career defining moment.

Postby shanew48

I say that it would have put him in the very good category as opposed to just good in the sense that part of being very good is being able to get over the line in a big final when the opportunity rises, clearly when Fergal and Hallet realised what they were going to achieve a sort of anxiety must have come over them and obviously it had a detrimental effect of how they played from that moment on.

Postby vodkadiet1

Fergal hasn't slept a wink since....

Postby shanew48

vodkadiet1 wrote:Fergal hasn't slept a wink since....

Maybe not that extreme but it still haunts his mind no doubt

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

The fact that both Williams and O'Sullivan had the same fate against Hunter would have helped a little as O'Brien would have known it wasn't just him. Also Hunter dying would completely change how any of his big matches would be viewed. It would be harder to beat yourself up over losing a match when the player who beat you only lived a few more years.

Postby shanew48

Probably a bit different for ROS and MJW in the sense that they went on to win many more TC titles whereas O'Brien did reach another TC final so I would think that would sting a bit more.