Post a reply

Re: Should Snooker implement shot clocks?

Postby Sickpotter

kolompar wrote:I thought not allowing time wasting and gamesmanship woud make a more level playing field.
I'm not supporting shot clocks but that's the worst argument I ever heard, defending slow players like that <doh>

There are rules in place to avoid time wasting and that sort of gamesmanship.

Putting players on a shot clock applies undue pressure to change their natural rhythm if they simply don't play a quick game, that's why I think shot clocks are damaging to the concept of a level playing field. Leave the players to their natural rhythm and penalize intentional slow play.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Think it is fair to say that most snooker fans hate the idea of shot clocks, but snooker is unusual for the lack of changes made to the sport in the last thirty years. Most sports have introduced some radical new idea. Snooker changed the miss rule but I can't think of anything else.

Postby PLtheRef

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Think it is fair to say that most snooker fans hate the idea of shot clocks, but snooker is unusual for the lack of changes made to the sport in the last thirty years. Most sports have introduced some radical new idea. Snooker changed the miss rule but I can't think of anything else.

That's right, but then again to be honest, has there been any real need for a change in the rules? Most sports tend to change their rules in reaction to a need for a change, or needing to address a loophole - e.g. Cricket banned underarm bowling in limited-overs matches when an incident took place which saw a team defending six of the last ball rolled the ball along the ground rather than bowling it properly.

The only reason a Shot-clock was introduced was because there was an event where a guaranteed twelve frames would have to be played within a given time frame. - If the Premier League had made the matches 'best of six frames' like they do with the darts Premier League (where the game ends once a player has an unassailable lead rather than playing out the whole match to a 11-1 or 10-2 scoreline) then you could possibly argue that we might not have seen a shot-clock at all - that said, even when the Premier League went to a 'best of' format in 2011 it retained the shot-clock so perhaps that's a moot point.

The only real chance you're going to see what I'd describe as a visible change in the rules of Snooker is if a scenario presents itself during a match which requires a clarification in the rules as it were.

Postby Johnny Bravo

The Mosconi Cup (one of the most important pool events) has it, so why not snooker ?!

The Masters, the CoC, the Grand Prix - these are events u could implement the shot clock rule.

But far more important imo would be to change the format of the most important ranking events (WC, UK) by making them round robin events. This will ultimately show who's the better player by eliminating the luck of the draw out of the equation. <ok>

And while we're at it, get rid of the "foul and a miss rule", it's the stupidest thing out there. Import the "foul rule" from pool: if you're in a snooker and u miss the ball you're trying to hit, your opponent has ball in hand, meaning he can place the object ball anywhere he wants on the table.
And to prevent everyone from tucking behind a ball in order to gain an unfair advantage, in pool u have a rule called "LEGAL SHOT" that states that after the cueball makes contact with the object ball, either the cueball or the object ball must hit a cushion.

And another thing: get rid of FLUKES by implementing a "call pocket rule". If the object ball ends up in another pocket than the designated one, u loose your turn at the table.

Postby Pink Ball

Johnny Bravo wrote:The Mosconi Cup (one of the most important pool events) has it, so why not snooker ?!

The Masters, the CoC, the Grand Prix - these are events u could implement the shot clock rule.

But far more important imo would be to change the format of the most important ranking events (WC, UK) by making them round robin events. This will ultimately show who's the better player by eliminating the luck of the draw out of the equation. <ok>

And while we're at it, get rid of the "foul and a miss rule", it's the stupidest thing out there. Import the "foul rule" from pool: if you're in a snooker and u miss the ball you're trying to hit, your opponent has ball in hand, meaning he can place the object ball anywhere he wants on the table.
And to prevent everyone from tucking behind a ball in order to gain an unfair advantage, in pool u have a rule called "LEGAL SHOT" that states that after the cueball makes contact with the object ball, either the cueball or the object ball must hit a cushion.

And another thing: get rid of FLUKES by implementing a "call pocket rule". If the object ball ends up in another pocket than the designated one, u loose your turn at the table.

Wow, I've never seen so many terrible ideas in one place before.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Pink Ball wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:The Mosconi Cup (one of the most important pool events) has it, so why not snooker ?!

Please give some more details Pinkey

Postby Pink Ball

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Please give some more details Pinkey

Can't be fussed Johnny, apologies.

Postby SnookerFan

I'm beginning to think you're Shaun Murphy.

Postby LeonD123

I don't think we need shot clocks.

At my pool hall, quite a lot of newcomers are coming for the first time after watching snooker on TV.

I never heard them complain about the time it takes. They like the seriousness, the fact that snooker appear to them like a gentleman sport, the fancy clothes and more.

The vaste majority of pro players are playing at a good pace as well.

Postby SnookerFan

LeonD123 wrote:I don't think we need shot clocks.

At my pool hall, quite a lot of newcomers are coming for the first time after watching snooker on TV.

I never heard them complain about the time it takes. They like the seriousness, the fact that snooker appear to them like a gentleman sport, the fancy clothes and more.

Interesting that people claim to like the fancy clothes.

They are the one thing I'd do away with in snooker.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:

Interesting that people claim to like the fancy clothes.

They are the one thing I'd do away with in snooker.

You are joking.

have you seen some of the snooker players off-duty? Willow would turn up in baggy old tracky bottoms and a stained t-shirt.

Thank buck for the dress code.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
You are joking.

have you seen some of the snooker players off-duty? Willow would turn up in baggy old tracky bottoms and a stained t-shirt.

To be honest, it's not something I'd argue about. I don't think there's anything I care less about than fashion.

I just think they should wear what they are comfortable in though. In a game with a lot of stretching and bending.

Or at least have a dress code that isn't so formal.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
You are joking.

To be honest, it's not something I'd argue about. I don't think there's anything I care less about than fashion.

I just think they should wear what they are comfortable in though. In a game with a lot of stretching and bending.

Or at least have a dress code that isn't so formal.

I care how it looks to casual observers who might get interested.

Ronnie's made 14 televised 147s in a dress suit. It can't be that restrictive.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
I care how it looks to casual observers who might get interested.

Ronnie's made 14 televised 147s in a dress suit. It can't be that restrictive.

You're talking to the wrong person Dan.

Ronnie could probably turn up naked, and I'd not realise he wasn't wearing formal clothes. rofl

Postby Iranu

The dress code is one of the best things about snooker! It's one of the things that drew me in as a young'un.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Are you in Britain Leon?

Postby LeonD123

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Are you in Britain Leon?

Nop, Switzerland.

@SnookerFan, we can like or dislike it, the curent dress code is good for snooker.

Think at how people treat you when you wear a well fitted suit. Appearance is still very important, people like uniforms and formal wear, even in 2017.

I'm a pool player, watching some pro matchs on Youtube sometime. How many times I'v been shocked to see big tournaments, where players wear training pants, flip-flops, white sneakers, oversized dress pants with square-toe shoes.

Even the formal dress code of some tournaments is kinda bad, with their polo shirts.
Last edited by LeonD123 on 19 Dec 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

LeonD123 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Are you in Britain Leon?

Nop, Switzerland.

Nice to know there is interest in in snooker in Switzerland. Do you follow Ursenbacher?

Postby LeonD123

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
LeonD123 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Are you in Britain Leon?

Nop, Switzerland.

Nice to know there is interest in in snooker in Switzerland. Do you follow Ursenbacher?

Yes I do follow him.

Interest on TV for sure but not in clubs yet. Only 50 players having a licence. Not easy to find tables and clubs, you'll see one or two snooker tables in some pool clubs.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Hyperion wrote:It really doesn't matter what people think. Slow, annoying players eventually force the issue. As the likes of the cretinous Nadal did in tennis. He forced them to do something.

Good point Hyperion. There are lots of parallels between tennis and snooker, but I will let our resident expert - Snookerfan - elaborate on that.

Postby Dan-cat

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Hyperion wrote:It really doesn't matter what people think. Slow, annoying players eventually force the issue. As the likes of the cretinous Nadal did in tennis. He forced them to do something.

Good point Hyperion. There are lots of parallels between tennis and snooker, but I will let our resident expert - Snookerfan - elaborate on that.

rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

I have one point to raise.

Tennis is rubbish.

Postby SnookerFan