Post a reply

Ebdon backs new bid by John Davison

Postby Roland

FORMER world champion Peter Ebdon – a leading opponent of the Altium takeover bid almost a decade ago – has thrown his support behind John Davison’s proposal to control snooker.

Ebdon, a former Board member of the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association, says he will be backing Davison’s move to challenge Barry Hearn for control of the green baize rather than having to ‘accept the unacceptable.'

“This proposal is fantastic news for all professional players and those who would aspire to join their ranks in the future,” said Budapest-based Ebdon.

“This is a hugely credible alternative to the changes advocated by Barry (Hearn) and from my perspective is a complete no-brainer. Any player who has an interest in the future of snooker has to see John Davison’s route as the way forward,” Ebdon told 110sport.tv.

He continued; “Players want more prize money, which they will get, and want more tournaments, which they will also get.
“The entire crux of the matter for me is that we (the players) will still be in control. John Davison is in effect ‘leasing’ snooker from the players for the next 15 years – we are not being asked to sign away everything we have built up over the years and that we may never see again.

“Even the most ardent supporter of the other option cannot be happy with that prospect.”

Ebdon added; “The players need to see this for what it is; the chance for someone else to maximise the potential of the game, secure the commercial assets, take it forward, secure the future, and then hand back a healthy, vibrant sport at the end of it.
“It will be good for John Davison and his partners, and very good for snooker and the players who are making their career in this great sport.

“The players have to be behind this proposal, one hundred per cent. There is to my mind no debate; this latest offer is so far ahead of the other. We must back it.”

Reminded of his opposition to the last proposal put forward by John Davison back in 2002, Ebdon admitted; “There was a decision to be made then and I took the decision which I believed was right for me at that time.

“I was not opposed to John, or had anything against him. I did what was right for me then.

“This time around, I am choosing what he has outlined, again because I believe here and now it is best for me, best for my fellow professionals, and best for the entire game.

“I am just so pleased we have not been left in a position where the only course of action was to accept the unacceptable.”

http://www.110sport.tv/News/551-FORMER_ ... _ANTE.aspx

Re: Ebdon backs new bid by John Davison

Postby Wildey

to be quite frank Peter would back anything that his own personnel agenda would allow him.

i cant for the life of me see where this bid is in any way that different to Barry Hearn yes there are differences but they so small in the real world its baffling how Ebdon backs this and was so oppose to Barry.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:to be quite frank Peter would back anything that his own personnel agenda would allow him.

i cant for the life of me see where this bid is in any way that different to Barry Hearn yes there are differences but they so small in the real world its baffling how Ebdon backs this and was so oppose to Barry.

Yes dont they realise Hearn has made promises to increase prize money by so much each season and should he fail to do this then he will relinquish power back to the players.

And does anyone seriously think Davison isnt in this too, to make a few quid for himself like Hearn also would do.

Ebdons a joke, he didnt even concede in that interview that hed make the wrong choice in 2002 when he backed against the Altium deal.

Players ultimately running the sport is a joke, they are not businessman and should concentrate on maximising their playing potential rather than getting involved in politics of the game.

Postby Wildey

ill tell you one thing if barry is defeated on Wednesday snooker politics will dominate 2010/2011 season.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:ill tell you one thing if barry is defeated on Wednesday snooker politics will dominate 2010/2011 season.

Although Barry claims if hes defeated on Wednesday he will walk away from the sport with his dignity intact, i dont think he will take this kick in the teeth lying down. Hes a born winner and will not accept this. Id think he will almost certainly do dramatic something, whether its coming back with a counter bid again just before the next EGM in a month when its Davisons turn to get his plans pushed through, or sit on the sidelines seeing how things develop under Davison whilst plotting a breakaway tour... :chin:

PS- This is rather strange Wild for us both to be in total agreement on an issue ;)

Postby Roland

Hearn wants 51% control at £255,000 (valuing World Snooker at £500,000) so he doesn't find himself in a position where he's invested money only for the other >50% to kick him out. He's also laid out targets which if he doesn't meet he will hand over his 51% back to the WPBSA. That's my understanding anyway.

Davison wants 63% control at £315,000 (also valuing World Snooker at £500,000) which he says will be a 15 year lease.

They both have different starting values for prize money - Hearn at £4.5 million and Davison at £5 million with both rising by 5% each year. Obviously the extra £500,000 by Davison is the better offer but it's clearly using Hearn's figure and upping it so it's more appealing much like a bidding process.

Hearn says the offer of handing out dividends to players for the 63% is "a barefaced attempt to buy votes which in any case, under our constitution, I believe to be illegal".

Postby Wildey

im booked in to therapy on Tuesday <laugh>

ok heres another twist on things could davison be interested be a spark of inspiration as you say Barry hates coming second.

yes davidson wants 15 years of whatever success or failure but its 15 years what if Rod Walker had that sort of agreement inplace nobody could kick him out atleast with barry he will hand it back if he fails far quicker than 15 years. so i dont get ebdon on this at all.

Postby Wildey

yes but the substance of the deal is the same with this %%% so how can he be anti hearn wanting 51% until he did not meet his targets and pro davidson wanting 63% until Ebdon will be about 55 years of age.

Postby Tubberlad

I just find it very grating that the man who did more to stop the Altium bid last decade is now the man voicing his approval...

Postby Roland

Well it goes without saying all those who bemoaned Hearn's 51% can be laughed at if they start to advocate the new deal.

Postby Tubberlad

Sonny wrote:Well it goes without saying all those who bemoaned Hearn's 51% can be laughed at if they start to advocate the new deal.

And it was the main stick they used to beat Hearn... so i don't see how they can hope to hold on to any shred of credibility

Postby Witz78

thetubberlad wrote:
Sonny wrote:Well it goes without saying all those who bemoaned Hearn's 51% can be laughed at if they start to advocate the new deal.

And it was the main stick they used to beat Hearn... so i don't see how they can hope to hold on to any shred of credibility

I can just imagine Ebdon and the 110 brigade trying to bullsh1t all the other naive players out there into going with their man Davison.

Anyone with their own mind will not be daft enough to fall for this. For me now ive assessed things, as far as i can see this late bid is nothing short of an attempt by all those anti-Hearn muppets to brainwash the players into stabbing Hearn in the back and ultimately more years of false promises whilst theyve regained power.

If they get in the produce 10 rankers in the 10/11 season then ill eat my hat.

Lets hope by inviting them to the EGM Hearn manages to pick hole after hole in their flawed, exaggerated and rushed plans which will then convinve most that backing Hearn is the only sure way to let the game flourish with concrete plans in place as well as meaning that the politics and internal bickering can finally end to a degree

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:If they get in the produce 10 rankers in the 10/11 season then ill eat my hat.

that in a nut shell is the crux of my problam with the proposal its unrealistic to get that at such a short notice that i question everything else they said.

if it was a realistic 8 rankers i think it would be more credable a offer but i dont know how they will get that in so little time..... in a way id like to see him try but i cant afford him to buck about with snooker i love the sport to much.

Postby Roland

It's quite clear the main flaw of the new proposal is the lack of evidence to back up their claims. 10 ranking events? Where? And will they be the boringly standard best of 9 using the existing flawed ranking system? Snooker needs variety and although I'm not an advocate of shorter matches and shot clocks, having a bunch of them alongside one or two extra longer format tournaments is the perfect mixture snooker needs.

I still want to know who snitched to News of the World. If anything to ensure it was nothing to do with the new deal so they have a genuine clean slate in which to start their counter bid.

Postby Monique

I really doubt they can secure 10 ranking events next season: there is no time for that and the economic climate isn't favorable. Mind you even in snooker's best days there were never more than ten and only on a couple of seasons. And we are supposed to believe we will have even more in 2011/12? Sonny we badly need a "brain challenged" smilie over here and quick!

Postby Casey

Ebdon is a joke, the guy blasted Hearn because he wanted 51% and now he goes on like this? I don’t think Barry would be to worried what Peter says anyway, its not as if he is very credible.

Postby Wildey

WhoHookedLeadbetter (U13960191)

posted 2 Minutes Ago

Ding supporting Davison

Postby Monique

wildJONESEYE wrote:
WhoHookedLeadbetter (U13960191)

posted 2 Minutes Ago

Ding supporting Davison

That's alas not surprising. The chinese players who train with Ebdon in the academy will probably follow him, which is bad news I'm afraid.

Postby Casey

Given the ties 110 have with China that is no surprise what so ever, I would think this is Ding's managements position rather than his own personal view.

Postby Witz78

Its all about self importance this new stance from the players.

5k handout for nothing and reduced opportunties for newcomers / amateurs suits the journeymen down to a tee.

At this rate by the time Davison hands back power to the players in 2025 the likes of Harold, Bond, Hamilton, Hicks, Pettman, Michie, Campbell, Burnett etc will still all be in the top 64.

Postby Rocket_ron

Witz78 wrote:Its all about self importance this new stance from the players.

5k handout for nothing and reduced opportunties for newcomers / amateurs suits the journeymen down to a tee.

At this rate by the time Davison hands back power to the players in 2025 the likes of Harold, Bond, Hamilton, Hicks, Pettman, Michie, Campbell, Burnett etc will still all be in the top 64.

its all sad :-(

Postby Witz78

rocket_ron wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Its all about self importance this new stance from the players.

its all sad :-(

Im resigned already to hoping Hearn forms a breakaway tour on Sky for those who still vote for him. I reckon given time, more would jump ship too.

Its going to be the blackest day in snooker since Paul Hunter died if Barry Hearn is rejected by the players. The reasons for opposing him are all selfish and petty, and clearly not in the best interests of the future growth of the sport. Thats what makes this so pathetic and laughable. The players who oppose Hearn deserve pelters and believe me, they will get them if and when i see them :john:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:According to Hendon its looking all over for Hearn :(

where does he say that ?

Postby Witz78

on his TWITTER Wild,

You been following all the comments on the snooker scene blog page? Some of the anonymous pros posting there are a joke, typical that the journeymen are voting against Hearn citing the rolling rankings as their main reason. Says it all that they are motivated by the 5k from Davison and preserving their own journeyman existances rather than whats for the good of the game. <doh>

Needless to say Moondan is on there having a field day rejocing and proclaiming Davison as the new messiah, its pathetic :bang2:

my latest post on there is below.

----------------------------------------------

What a joke from Ebdon and the rest of the anti-Hearn brigade. Full of self interest and coming out with lame excuses to stab Hearn in the back by supporting this botched attempt at a rival bid thats most likely a pipedream. The 51% issue is a nonsense of a reason to back against Hearn, hes a born winner, has the media on his side and will continue the feelgood factor whilst increasing the opportunties for players at ALL levels and raising the profile of the game again.

God, Ebdon doesnt even acknowledge that he was originally wrong to back against Altium in 2002.

Hearn has concrete plans in place for next seasons tour plus expansion in future years. If and when this Davison mob get in, theres no way on earth they will manage to negotiate and get 10 rankers up and running in 2010/11. Are the players so naive that theyll accept a 5k sweetener from this man for what is in effect a facade to ensure Hearn doesnt get power.

As for the pro who commented and said he didnt agree with rolling rankings etc, get real mate, your either good enough or your arent. Havent you thought positive and thought "if i win a few matches i will rise up the rankings quicker"?

Snookers problem is the players having power, talk about the Self Preservation Society!

Barry already stated he would grow the game by a certain level every year and after 3 years if he had failed to deliver, then he would hand back full control. So its a no lose scenario under a proven winner in sports promotion.

Snooker players will be scoring the ultimate own goal yet again should they fail to back Hearn.

Lets hope by inviting this mob to the EGM on Weds, Hearn manages to pick holes throughtout their flimsy promises and this will lead most to see sense and vote through Hearns plans.

If not then were in for a stormy season with off field politics yet again dominating. I strongly doubt Hearn would take a defeat in the vote lying down and id expect to see an improved offer from him prior to a subsequent EGM or an attempt to form a breakaway rival tour for the elite and those who backed him, leaving the Altium 2 deal as the true poor relation.

Postby Wildey

lets put it like this if what dave sais is true davison better bloody be the messiah otherwise its back where we started with walker.

people just do not get it do they it is not a vote between hearn and davison there is no guarantee davison will win the next vote..... then what.

Postby Wildey

bigbreak wrote:LOL.....:D the players have built up the ideal mutual trading company. Why do you think some business men now want it?

some people and players actually think that..... its bloody scary that they think they got the power in all of this.

i know how player power has cocked up this sport over the years now they think they invincible <doh>