Post a reply

Re: Ebdon backs new bid by John Davison

Postby Casey

Well there will be no breakaway.

The costs will be too much for starters.

Also if the players vote against Hearn who is going to break away with him? Ronnie and who else? The money isn't there in match room to start launching a new snooker tour that would work. The money in the PL was slashed this year for starters and it had the biggest draws in the game with packed crowds. How could he cope with a regular tournament with many empty seats?

As for Hearn coming back with a better bid if defeated, well I would be delighted, anything that the game will get more out of will be positive. However if Hearn is willing to make an improved offer it does confirm he was selling the game sort in the first place.

Postby Roland

No it doesn't, that's bull. This Davison character has deliberately come in with a higher figure so Hearn will be pretty much forced into upping his offer. To then say it proves he was selling the game short in the first offer is almost as cynical as the Davison offer.

Postby Monique

I don't think Ronnie will break-away with Hearn. For a start I don't think Hearn will be interested. If voted out he will go away and will not come back. And regarding Ronnie the only "break away" I could imagine is for him to retire and I don't think he's ready for that. The media have made a big deal of his alledged hints of retirement in Sheffield. Well I was there and I'm still amazed at what they did from that press conference because he said nothing about retiring at all.

Postby Casey

If Hearn is willing to up his offer and pay more for snooker he obviously thinks it’s worth the extra investment. So why not offer the true value in the beginning? Because there was no opposition? So snooker would be sold short on its true value.

Now saying this Hearn might feel he has made an accurate and fair offer and will not want to increase it, nobody knows.

Edit. - I should add the same goes for Davison if he upped his offer. Both men will not pay more than what the game is worth.

Postby Roland

If Hearn offered £50 million and then Davison offered £55 then Hearn offered £56 the same would apply. He can't be accused of selling the game short if he is forced to up his offer. Have you ever bought a house?

Postby Wildey

in the meantime players in limbo being pulled from piller to posts just because they think grass always greener the other side of the fence.

what im scared of is you got 2 offers but if that splits the pro change brigade we might be stuck in a rut like the last 10 years+.

what i pointed out on TSF last night Davison wanting 15 years and hearn wanting forever well in 15 years time Barry Hearn will be 76 and possibly his forever would have ended with retirement before davison's 15 years.

Postby Wildey

what we must not forget in all of this is ebdon might back davison until barry gets defeated but in a second EGM he will back against Davison.