Post a reply

Re: Williams: Trump could become 4th greatest player of all

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:Hahaha I think that's called damning with faint praise

I don’t think so.

He’s saying Trump will definitely end up 4th best player ever. At this stage that’s a huge call based on what Judd’s done so far, and saying “def 4th best” doesn’t rule out being higher than that.

I kind of agree with Williams except I’d put Davis in alongside Higgins. But it looks likely at the moment that Judd will be right in that conversation by the time he retires.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Iranu wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Hahaha I think that's called damning with faint praise

I don’t think so.

He’s saying Trump will definitely end up 4th best player ever. At this stage that’s a huge call based on what Judd’s done so far, and saying “def 4th best” doesn’t rule out being higher than that.

I kind of agree with Williams except I’d put Davis in alongside Higgins. But it looks likely at the moment that Judd will be right in that conversation by the time he retires.

Good post. I agree 100% Although I would also put MJW himself in there as well.

Postby Acé

Sounds about right I don't think he'll be the greatest he's left that too late and is way low on the Triple Crown event list which define your career but if he reaches Williams/Selby/Higgins like numbers then he could end up at 3, just after Ronnie and Hendry

Postby Iranu

Acé wrote:Sounds about right I don't think he'll be the greatest he's left that too late and is way low on the Triple Crown event list which define your career but if he reaches Williams/Selby/Higgins like numbers then he could end up at 3, just after Ronnie and Hendry

I don’t think MJW/Selby numbers would be enough to put him in the conversation for top 3, to be honest. Higgins, Davis, Ronnie and Hendry would all be too far ahead.

I think Judd would have to match Higgins’ achievements to be considered for top 3 and I’m not even sure that would be enough (I still put Davis slightly ahead of Higgins).

Postby Acé

I forgot about Davis, yeah Higgins, Davis, Ronnie and Hendry are the definite top 4 can't argue with that

tbh I'd be happy with top 5 but he does have potential to beat Higgins and get #4

of course he'll need to win on par level of TC events, now it's just about racking a few upI do agree with what Ronnie said about battle scars as Judd gets older and a younger dude starts stepping on Judd's heels so better use this opportunity while on a high

Postby Iranu

Acé wrote:I forgot about Davis, yeah Higgins, Davis, Ronnie and Hendry are the definite top 4 can't argue with that

tbh I'd be happy with top 5 but he does have potential to beat Higgins and get #4

of course he'll need to win on par level of TC events, now it's just about racking a few upI do agree with what Ronnie said about battle scars as Judd gets older and a younger dude starts stepping on Judd's heels so better use this opportunity while on a high

Higgins is lagging well behind the other three in TCs, to be fair. He only has one more than Selby and two more than MJW.

Judd will smash MJW’s overall rankers unless something drastic happens, so yeah it depends how well he does with TCs, and whatever other tournaments become majors over the next decade. If they stick around you can see tournaments like the Tour Championship being considered on that level regardless of what the BBC think.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I know it's hard to compare different era's but I do think it's a bit unrespectful to leave out Ray Reardon in these discussions. I think if Reardon would be a young man now he would be a top player as well. Or if someone like Trump would have been young in Reardon's days I don't think he would be winning more titles than Reardon. I think Reardon was a winner and a tough competitor just like Hendry, Davis, Ronnie, Higgins...

Postby SnookerEd25

Holden Chinaski wrote:I know it's hard to compare different era's but I do think it's a bit unrespectful to leave out Ray Reardon in these discussions. I think if Reardon would be a young man now he would be a top player as well. Or if someone like Trump would have been young in Reardon's days I don't think he would be winning more titles than Reardon. I think Reardon was a winner and a tough competitor just like Hendry, Davis, Ronnie, Higgins...

Very good point. Some real hints of just how good Reardon was in that 82 final shown earlier, and he was turning 50 later that year. We can’t really know how good he was in his prime because the footage just doesn’t exist, but probably on a par with peak John Higgins at least.

I’m just hlad I got to see the tail-end of his career in my formative watching years.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:I know it's hard to compare different era's but I do think it's a bit unrespectful to leave out Ray Reardon in these discussions. I think if Reardon would be a young man now he would be a top player as well. Or if someone like Trump would have been young in Reardon's days I don't think he would be winning more titles than Reardon. I think Reardon was a winner and a tough competitor just like Hendry, Davis, Ronnie, Higgins...

Very good point. Some real hints of just how good Reardon was in that 82 final shown earlier, and he was turning 50 later that year. We can’t really know how good he was in his prime because the footage just doesn’t exist, but probably on a par with peak John Higgins at least.

I’m just hlad I got to see the tail-end of his career in my formative watching years.

Reardon also proved his tactical brain was still very much a strong asset to have in the modern era when he helped Ronnie in 2004.

Postby SnookerEd25

Holden Chinaski wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

Reardon also proved his tactical brain was still very much a strong asset to have in the modern era when he helped Ronnie in 2004.

Another good point HC, he really helped RO’S hold it together through the 17 days too. I loved it when Ronnie put those fake fangs in after!

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Another good point HC, he really helped RO’S hold it together through the 17 days too. I loved it when Ronnie put those fake fangs in after!

That was brilliant. 2004 was my favourite championship, Ronnie was so good to watch. Smart move from Ronnie's dad to contact Reardon.

Postby TheRocket

Reardons impact on Ronnie has always been quite underrated in the media. They often talk about Peters and rightfully so but it was Reardon who transformed him from a raw scorer and potter into a complete player.

I think someone like Lisowski could gain a lot of success by working with Reardon.