Post a reply

Re: Tickect for World Open 2010 already on sale

Postby Wildey

sonny

i like the idea of the tournament but it has to have less status than to be called a WORLD Open if to win it you win less frames than the masters qualifieng tournament and carry Ranking points.

im all for the tournament on principle but jesus can you imagine the potential of shock results and a shock semi final and finals coming out of it in a RANKING TOURNAMENT at the same level as The China Open with a best of 19 final.

Postby Alex0paul

SnookerFan wrote:Whilst we are fault finding, did he have to call the The World Open. Seriously, it's the worst title for a tournament I've ever heard. They'll be having the Planet Earth Trophy next.

Its an Open tournament to anyone in the World. What else would you call it?

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul WC wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Whilst we are fault finding, did he have to call the The World Open. Seriously, it's the worst title for a tournament I've ever heard. They'll be having the Planet Earth Trophy next.

Its an Open tournament to anyone in the World. What else would you call it?

"ANYONE IN THE WORLD WELCOMED SCOTTISH OPEN"

or if it moves to England or China change appropriately <ok>

Postby Wildey

na seriously i have no problam with the name of it but i do have a problam having it a Ranking Tournament with best of 5s opening the door for a total shock and someone actually being a ranking event winner on the back of it and same points as the china open champion having to win 11 more frames.

Postby Wildey

The Cueist wrote::D Bonus tourney for the lucky player who plays the best for that week, <cool> Loving it. <cool>

and if Robbo wins it gets equal with doherty on 6 ranking tournaments you will say well done on your achievement or it doesn't count because its only best of 5s and a best of 9 final ?

Postby The Cueist

wildJONESEYE wrote:
The Cueist wrote::D Bonus tourney for the lucky player who plays the best for that week, <cool> Loving it. <cool>

and if Robbo wins it gets equal with doherty on 6 ranking tournaments you will say well done on your achievement or it doesn't count because its only best of 5s and a best of 9 final ?

If Robbo wins then good luck to him,Hopefully Ding or Ros will do it. <cool> :ahh:

Postby Rocket_ron

The Cueist wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

If Robbo wins then good luck to him,Hopefully Ding or Ros will do it. <cool> :ahh:

i think ding is gonna be the one to watch this year

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Tickets bought up, looking forward to this far more than i was the Grand Prix last year.

It will be like chalk and cheese the difference between these 2 i reckon. All hail Hearn !!

im looking forward to it and think it will be a great event but Ranking na it opens up the ranking system more farcical where someone fluking a 3-0 win over Ronnie and then we end up with Dave Harold winning because hes rubbish at best of 9s lately.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Tickets bought up, looking forward to this far more than i was the Grand Prix last year.

It will be like chalk and cheese the difference between these 2 i reckon. All hail Hearn !!

im looking forward to it and think it will be a great event but Ranking na it opens up the ranking system more farcical where someone fluking a 3-0 win over Ronnie and then we end up with Dave Harold winning because hes poo at best of 9s lately.

the way i see it the length of a match shouldnt make a massive difference to who wins. The best player should still be good enough to win 3/5 frames (60%)

If the so called weaker player goes 1-0 up they will probably get into the same mindset they would at 3-2 up in a best of 9 and start to bottle it

Postby Roland

I've decided I want to go and watch the Masters next season. I'd do the Grand Prix if it wasn't so far away whereas the Masters means I can stay at my cousins and get a few sessions in.

Postby GJ

if the world champions matches are not televised in this event its a complete joke and farce

<ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:I've decided I want to go and watch the Masters next season. I'd do the Grand Prix if it wasn't so far away whereas the Masters means I can stay at my cousins and get a few sessions in.

I take the week off, and go to several dates every year, so I may see you at The Masters. <ok>

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

im looking forward to it and think it will be a great event but Ranking na it opens up the ranking system more farcical where someone fluking a 3-0 win over Ronnie and then we end up with Dave Harold winning because hes poo at best of 9s lately.

the way i see it the length of a match shouldnt make a massive difference to who wins. The best player should still be good enough to win 3/5 frames (60%)

If the so called weaker player goes 1-0 up they will probably get into the same mindset they would at 3-2 up in a best of 9 and start to bottle it

of course it will make a massive difference how much different tournament winners over the years if someone 3-1 at the interval and loses the match would have won it.

look whos the 6 red world champion someone whos never reached a normal ranking semi final.

i predict a semi finalist in this thats never reached a last 32 of a normal tournament

someone bookmark this statement <ok>

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:look whos the 6 red world champion someone whos never reached a normal ranking semi final.

i predict a semi finalist in this thats never reached a last 32 of a normal tournament

someone bookmark this statement <ok>

bookmarked <ok> :sylvester:

Postby Wildey

god i do know how to pressurized myself lol

but at least ill have genuine interest in supporting mark joyce and Michael White in this lol

ive just noticed very few hasent reached the last 32 <laugh> should have said last 16.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

I think short matches aren't necessarily the lottery that people suggest. I've heard people say BO9s are a completely lottery. They aren't. If it was a complete lottery, a person who had never picked up a cue in his life could beat Ronnie O'Sullivan. That's not the case. In a best of 9, you still need to be good enough to win five frames. Even if they are not the test that, say, a best of 19 is, you still need to be able to make a strong start and be able to keep your opponent at bay.

On saying that, the shorter the format of a game, the less test of a players all round game it is. If a player can make big match-winning breaks, they may get the run of the balls and be 2 or 3 frames up in no time. And the bigger a possibility that a player can lose a game without being given much of a chance. We've all seen people lose best of nines, without doing anything wrong really. Which is why I think is the shortest format you should have. I don't hate best of nines like some people seem to, but they should definately only be used for opening round matches. The semis should be longer, and there's no way in hell a final should be best of nine. You should at least have the semis say, best of 11, and the final best of 19.

Best of five doesn't test someones match play, it's tests the ability to make a strong start, end of. As has been said, this shorter format is is designed to create upsets. I have nothing against this tournament to be honest, I just think it shouldn't be a ranking tournament. It's a crying shame that the BBC didn't want to keep the Grand Prix on. Because this tournament Hearn has introduced would've looked good as a non-ranker that was an additional tournament in the snooker calendar alongside the already established tournaments, including the Grand Prix. Which was a tournament I remember being psyched for last year, esepcially as it was on the week of my birthday. I turned 29 at my mate's house, watching snooker with a beer in my hand. <ok>

It just seems odd to me that, that I was never too much of a critic of best of nines in the early stages, but saw plenty of people going on and on about how much they hated them, that I suddenly now see a lot of people hailing this as fair game in a ranking event. :huh:

Postby Monique

I agree with you snookerfan. For me the combination of randon draw and very short format is not appropriate for a ranking event. I think the event itself will be good to watch but with a rather big amount of ranking points at stake - as a legacy from the Grand Prix - it introduces too much of a possible distortion of the ranking system.

Postby Roland

I haven't seen the points schedule for next season but for this event to carry similar ranking points as the Grand Prix last season is clearly ridiculous.

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:I agree with you snookerfan. For me the combination of randon draw and very short format is not appropriate for a ranking event. I think the event itself will be good to watch but with a rather big amount of ranking points at stake - as a legacy from the Grand Prix - it introduces too much of a possible distortion of the ranking system.

I quite liked the random draw in the Grand Prix the last couple of years. In fact, I felt that it gave The Grand Prix it's own identity, in the same way that The Masters is only the top-16 and a couple of invitationals. Even when you consider easy draws, that accusation seems to rear it's head in almost every tournament played against some player. At least the random draw is as it says, random.

However, the one thing that does concern me is the inclusions of amateurs. Again, would be a hell of a lot of fun in a non-ranking tournament. But it seems to devalue a ranking event if somewhere along the way, even if it's just in the qualifying rounds, somebody knocks out several unranked players.

Postby N_Castle07

I was never a fan of best of 9's but i'm looking forward to this event. As Davis explained best of 5's and 3's the players are under the cosh from shot one and under pressure. Hopefully this will bring the best to the business end of the event. I think luck and bad luck may play too big a part of this event but non the less this event will be jammed with drama, maybe the biggest amount of drama we have seen in a snooker event. Bring it on. Well done Hearn.

Postby SnookerFan

N_Castle07 wrote:I was never a fan of best of 9's but i'm looking forward to this event. As Davis explained best of 5's and 3's the players are under the cosh from shot one and under pressure. Hopefully this will bring the best to the business end of the event. I think luck and bad luck may play too big a part of this event but non the less this event will be jammed with drama, maybe the biggest amount of drama we have seen in a snooker event. Bring it on. Well done Hearn.

It just seems an odd paradox. Those that were against best of nines for being too short, are psyched for a best of five event. Those that didn't mind them too much, think best of fives are too short. <laugh>

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I haven't seen the points schedule for next season but for this event to carry similar ranking points as the Grand Prix last season is clearly ridiculous.

That is the point i was making....

Postby N_Castle07

SnookerFan wrote:
N_Castle07 wrote:I was never a fan of best of 9's but i'm looking forward to this event. As Davis explained best of 5's and 3's the players are under the cosh from shot one and under pressure. Hopefully this will bring the best to the business end of the event. I think luck and bad luck may play too big a part of this event but non the less this event will be jammed with drama, maybe the biggest amount of drama we have seen in a snooker event. Bring it on. Well done Hearn.

It just seems an odd paradox. Those that were against best of nines for being too short, are psyched for a best of five event. Those that didn't mind them too much, think best of fives are too short. <laugh>

Totally agree. I fall under that category.

Postby Wildey

I have gone on record saying that best of 5s are the most boring format in the game and they could make a best of 5 more interesting if they tried.

long matches are the best because you get in to a match with best of 5s its over before it begins.

but obviously the BBC Wanted rid of this event so anything better than nothing but it just shows how out of touch they really are with what snooker fans like.