Topic locked

Re: New concerns over editing of Higgins video

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:I should also add that mooney said ‘they agreed to everything’ this was pretty quickly after the story broke, how many times did he get to see the video? Did he realize at that point how badly it had been edited.

Good point

Postby Monique

wildJONESEYE wrote:
case_master wrote:I should also add that mooney said ‘they agreed to everything’ this was pretty quickly after the story broke, how many times did he get to see the video? Did he realize at that point how badly it had been edited.

Good point

He surely has by now and discussed it with his lawyers. I'd even safely say he surely has as soon as he had the opportunity. Everyone would. Basic point is he didn't deny, not even once, he didn't suggest that what the video showed wasn't true. He just said they did it to get out of there which implicitely is admitting they did agree to the match fixing. There is no way out of that.
The NOTW paper edition on the Sunday May 3 devoted several pages to it with the full transcript of the video and more details. I can't believe Mooney or Higgins didn't read it. They never denied.

Postby Casey

Monique wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

Good point

He surely has by now and discussed it with his lawyers. I'd even safely say he surely has as soon as he had the opportunity. Everyone would. Basic point is he didn't deny, not even once, he didn't suggest that what the video showed wasn't true. He just said they did it to get out of there which implicitely is admitting they did agree to the match fixing. There is no way out of that.
The NOTW paper edition on the Sunday May 3 devoted several pages to it with the full transcript of the video and more details. I can't believe Mooney or Higgins didn't read it. They never denied.

They didn’t detail what they had agreed to, I do remember the transcripts which some have been proven false through analysis which sportingintelligence has highlighted. There is no doubt that they ‘agreed’ to it. But what is ‘it’? On what level did they agree to and how much did they agree to? These are vitally important issues that an edited video will not be able to answer.
At no stage has Pat or John came out and said that the transcript or Video was the correct flow of conversation, they have never said that the video or transcript is a true reflection of what went on.

Now the investigation is in full swing their hands are tied as to what they can say to the media, I am sure full explanations will be given when the investigation is completed (we all hope so anyway)

Postby Roland

It's best not to speculate about anything at the moment. Wait until the inquiry is over and see what facts surface at that time.

Postby Wildey

source the ferret on TSF wrote:The WPBSA Disciplinary Committee has resolved to refer an investigation arising from the News of the World newspaper's report of May 2, 2010, which contained allegations against John Higgins and Pat Mooney, to a hearing board convened under the auspices of Sport Resolutions UK.

David Douglas, head of the WPBSA's disciplinary committee, said: "Sport Resolutions deals with cases in various sports and is named in WPBSA disciplinary rules. It is completely independent of the WPBSA and we have no doubt that it will bring a fair conclusion to this matter."
There will be no further comment at this stage.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:It's on WPBSA also.

not looked at that apart from the slightly dead ok totaly dead so called live scores <laugh>

Postby Monique

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_s ... 763343.stm
Higgins report heads for tribunal
By Phil Goodlad

Findings of the investigation into match-fixing allegations made against John Higgins will be handed to an independent tribunal next week.
The three-time world snooker champion and manager Pat Mooney have denied agreeing to throw frames for £261,000.
And snooker chief Barry Hearn insists that lifetime bans for breaking any of the sport's rules are not the answer.
"I do not believe in them, but I do believe in lengthy bans," Hearn told BBC Scotland.
Hearn, chairman of the World Professional Billiard and Snooker Association, did not wish to prejudge the findings of the investigation.
However, he stated: "It's our duty as the custodians of the sport to firstly educate, secondly dissuade and thirdly to punish should the rules be broken."
The claims against 35-year-old former world champion Higgins and Mooney, who quit the WPBSA board as a result of the allegations, were published by a Sunday newspaper in May.
If found guilty, the pair face lengthy bans from the sport.
Sport Resolutions UK, an independent dispute resolution service, will be handed the findings of an investigation carried out by the WPBSA into the allegations.
Higgins and Mooney will then have 28 days to make representations before a hearing takes place.
The allegations that have rocked snooker surfaced on the morning of the World Championship final.
The News of the World claimed had said that it had filmed Higgins and manager Mooney agreeing with businessmen in Ukraine to lose frames in exchange for money.
The pair, suspended by World Snooker pending the outcome of their investigation, denied the allegations, with Higgins saying he was "100%" innocent and would "vigorously defend" himself.
The WPBSA investigation is being carried out by its head of discipline David Douglas.
The former Metropolitan Police detective chief superintendent will then pass his findings on to Sport Resolutions UK.
Douglas said: "Sport Resolutions deals with cases in various sports and is named in WPBSA disciplinary rules.
"It is completely independent of the WPBSA and we have no doubt that it will bring a fair conclusion to this matter."

So 28 days from sometime next week on leads us to end July for the hearing.

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/snooker/8763343.stm
Higgins report heads for tribunal
By Phil Goodlad

Findings of the investigation into match-fixing allegations made against John Higgins will be handed to an independent tribunal next week.
The three-time world snooker champion and manager Pat Mooney have denied agreeing to throw frames for £261,000.
And snooker chief Barry Hearn insists that lifetime bans for breaking any of the sport's rules are not the answer.
"I do not believe in them, but I do believe in lengthy bans," Hearn told BBC Scotland.
Hearn, chairman of the World Professional Billiard and Snooker Association, did not wish to prejudge the findings of the investigation.
However, he stated: "It's our duty as the custodians of the sport to firstly educate, secondly dissuade and thirdly to punish should the rules be broken."
The claims against 35-year-old former world champion Higgins and Mooney, who quit the WPBSA board as a result of the allegations, were published by a Sunday newspaper in May.
If found guilty, the pair face lengthy bans from the sport.
Sport Resolutions UK, an independent dispute resolution service, will be handed the findings of an investigation carried out by the WPBSA into the allegations.
Higgins and Mooney will then have 28 days to make representations before a hearing takes place.
The allegations that have rocked snooker surfaced on the morning of the World Championship final.
The News of the World claimed had said that it had filmed Higgins and manager Mooney agreeing with businessmen in Ukraine to lose frames in exchange for money.
The pair, suspended by World Snooker pending the outcome of their investigation, denied the allegations, with Higgins saying he was "100%" innocent and would "vigorously defend" himself.
The WPBSA investigation is being carried out by its head of discipline David Douglas.
The former Metropolitan Police detective chief superintendent will then pass his findings on to Sport Resolutions UK.
Douglas said: "Sport Resolutions deals with cases in various sports and is named in WPBSA disciplinary rules.
"It is completely independent of the WPBSA and we have no doubt that it will bring a fair conclusion to this matter."

So 28 days from sometime next week on leads us to end July for the hearing.

Yeah, I just saw that on the BBC Website. Certainly not the swift conclusion that Barry Hearn promised.

I sincerely hope John Higgins is innocent, and proven so. If it happens, I will go back to being a fan. But I really don't think he's made a huge mistake talking about The Mafia here. If he'd have just come out and said; "A lot of what they said was factually inaccurate, and untrue, and I am going to prove it" fine. What he actually said was; "I did it, and here's my reason...."

Either way, good luck John. I hope you are innocent.

Postby Tubberlad

Barry Hearn's promise of a swift conclusion was actually a little bit shortsighted on his part. Higgins had a certain amount of time to get their defence in order, so it would have taken a lot more time than Hearn stated.

Postby Roland

How long ago was the Maguire v Burnett match? Has it been resolved?

It was in the UK in December 2008 that the match took place. A verdict on Higgins by the end of July would come under the heading "Swift" in my book

:santa:

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:How long ago was the Maguire v Burnett match? Has it been resolved?

It was in the UK in December 2008 that the match took place. A verdict on Higgins by the end of July would come under the heading "Swift" in my book

:santa:

Indeed.
The difference is that in the Burnett-Maguire affair, or the Lee affair the case is in the hand of the police or the prosecutor because there is suspicion of criminal activities (*). So it's not in any way under WPBSA control anymore.
(*) criminal activities related to the file, not making any suggestions or assumptions about the players involvement in them.

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:Barry Hearn's promise of a swift conclusion was actually a little bit shortsighted on his part. Higgins had a certain amount of time to get their defence in order, so it would have taken a lot more time than Hearn stated.

i think it is getting on a bit if im honest even with organising their defense however people are hanging on to What Barry said and not the message he put out there.

as Dave Hendon said under the previous regime there would be so much NO COMENT and nobody would know what was going on.

Barry showed leadership and quite rightly suspended John there and then pending the enquiery after that he handed it over to Douglas right out of his hands and now Douglas has handed it over so hopefully in a months time or less John's Fate is decided.

Postby Wildey

News of the World are turning in to a joke over this.

if they don't want to be sued stop bull recycling or be honest and suply evidence how bucking hard can that be ?

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:I still think regardless of this some sort of punishment will befall Higgins. His failure to inform the authorities of what happened will still prove to be his downfall.

hes had 4 PTC bans the closing date for EPTC 1 was today hes banned from that banned from the PTC Finals because of this suspension from first 4 PTC. Banned from Shanghai Masters and Closing date for World Open is very soon so Banned from that what do you want Blood lol

Postby Noel

His only chance in Hell and it's a slim one at that is to get Mooney to say he did it all and stabbed his mate in the back.

Only chance.

=o(

Noel

Postby Wildey

NO MATE

on the back of this news of the world inability to back up their story with facts unless there is a guarantee of not being sued the case is on the verge of collapsing the date is set for early September as it is now it will take all of 5 minutes open and shut.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:NO MATE

on the back of this news of the world inability to back up their story with facts unless there is a guarantee of not being sued the case is on the verge of collapsing the date is set for early September as it is now it will take all of 5 minutes open and shut.

Well exactly. Why has Higgins got to tell everybody to Mooney did it, if the NOTW can't provide evidence that anything was done. If it's been proven that their video is editted in a huge way, then they refuse to show us the full uneditted version for worry of getting sued, then they've practically admitted it was all fabrication.

Why should Higgins have to agree that he won't sue when they show the entire video? If what they have stated is factually accurate, he'd have no reason to sue. All Higgins has to do is say he aint signing rubbish, then get his lawyers to question why the NOTW aint bringing the evidence forward. The NOTW look like prannies, Higgin's guilt can't be proved, and Higgins goes back to make Seifer complain about run of the ball. Everybody's happy.

Postby Roland

Just reading that they won't hand over the unedited version unless Higgins promises not to sue is bloody hilarious if you ask me. Take them to the cleaners John.

Postby Smart

<laugh>

Edited or not...... he speaks the words:

"how can I swallow that much cash" or words like that.

AND

"could you pay off a mortgage on a Spanish property I own" or words like that.

I know a lot of people want an innocent verdict here, but those words above on an edited or un-edited film are extremely serious and a lengthy ban is what should happen I>M>H>O.

Emphasis on MY OPINION. <ok>

Postby Wildey

i dont think editing has anything to do as to why they dont want us to see it.

i think its more to do with the tactics used to get john to say those words if anything.

Postby Wildey

John Higgins or Mooney never denied saying thoes words so talk of editing was never a major issue in the first place so talking about that 3 months on is pointless.

their first instinct was major entrapment and intimidated to say what they said that was the only issue regarding that unedited video.

them refusing to give it up shows theres something gone on during the meeting that would show them up in doing what john said they did.

Postby Noel

Really, mates...
wishful thinking is wonderful... and in many of my posts you cannot accuse me of lacking imagination.
However, in this case, for me it's wait and see.
The legal and political blender into which Higgins, Mooney, possibly Maguire and Burnett as well as others have been thrown along with the WPBSA, SPA, WSS, NOTW and God knows who else will produce a very mucked up result.

One thing I can share was a comment from someone I know who texted John asking "How are ya doing mate?"
minutes after the reporters showed up at his door. John immediately texted back "I'm screwed".

Nothing I am aware of since has changed that status. I can only hope for the best.

=o|

Noel

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Lets still keep an open mind & understand why this is where it is & why we have new info.

Mazher Mahmood, the journo, is a wanted man by lots & lots of people, make no mistake, because he has exposed plenty of people in the past, will try & continue to do so in the future, & he's put plenty of people behind bars as well. Lets not forget that. Roger Cook done the same thing & to this day, people are being released from prison with him firstly on the radar. Them boys are learning from their mistakes.

His face is unknown to most, so he has to keep things the same way if he wants to carry on. Its his living. All be it a sponging one, I would call it, but its a living our society has created for people like him in the first place.

What we have to remember is when JH finds out who first got in touch with the toilet paper in the first place, guaranteed, he's gonna' know them. Sparks will fly. Human instinct will see to that.

What my biggest concern is, is that our lordships in the WPBSA have suspended young John while on-going investigations are being held. However, at the risk of repeating myself, is this not a guilty until found innocent way of doing things? Yes, anyone who knows JH will know that he loves Snooker. Snooker made JH what he is. He'll admit that himself if you asked him. Just because we had a couple of wrong un's in the past does that mean we should tar JH with the same brush? Nope, it very much shouldn't.

But yet we have.

Postby Wildey

john

he had no alternative but to suspend him.

if a policeman is accused of miss conduct hes suspended pending a inquiery.

when a sportsman is accused of fiddeling with betting he has to be suspended pending a inquiery.

John on tape was the difference between Burnett and him.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

wildJONESEYE wrote:john

he had no alternative but to suspend him.

if a policeman is accused of miss conduct hes suspended pending a inquiery.

when a sportsman is accused of fiddeling with betting he has to be suspended pending a inquiery.

John on tape was the difference between Burnett and him.

Sorry wild, but no, I don't accept that.
What I do accept is that there is a solution for anything & everything.