Post a reply

Re: Sky To Televise World Snooker Shoot-Out

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:The difference with "pot black", at least with the latest editions of "pot black", is that "pot black" was mainly a mundane event where establishment people were drinking champagne while having small talk with top players and, if need be, watched some snooker.
This will target another audience, much more popular and younger.

Yeah, even when they brought it back, it was done in a large room in a plush hotel, with chandaliers everywhere. The people watching were 'invite only' and were all there in tuxes etc. It did come across as a bit of a snobby event, not an event trying to claim new fans.

I remember the first year though, they showed the whole event without interruption on Grandstand, and I got a fun afternoon of snooker watching with a friend. The next year when they tried it, they kept going over to horse racing and coming back saying; "By the way, you've just missed Hendry lose a frame. But here's the next frame being played, which has already started." <doh>

The first year though, despite the location and the promotion being questionable, I would argue that it was still something worth watching. Whereas ending a frame at 12-minutes, as oppose to when it naturally finishes baffles me a bit, and the shot clock is just a tension destroyer. Maybe I am just an old fuddy duddy, I am pushing 30 after all.

Postby Casey

What I will say about the pot black from a couple of years ago, it gave up close exposure of snooker to key decision makers of financially strong organisations.

World snooker were obviously looking for investments from these people so the concept was good even if Walker couldn’t deliver with it.

Postby SnookerFan

case_master wrote:What I will say about the pot black from a couple of years ago, it gave up close exposure of snooker to key decision makers of finically strong organisations.

World snooker were obviously looking for investments from these people so the concept was good even if Walker couldn’t deliver with it.

Well, you can't argue with that. Using it as a platform to attract sponsors.

I wish they'd bring that back, maybe encourage crowd participation a bit more. To me that was a fun afternoon of snooker, that would benefit from the players being able to show their personalities more. Whereas this idea just seems to smack a bit of desperation. "I know, lets make the frames 12 minutes long." <doh>

Postby gallantrabbit

Can't understand any negativity about this. I'm a purist sure but this will make superb tv. Hearn is an ideas man and has come up with a cracker. And yes I hope that the grim reaper is involved and Jimmy takes the pot <cool>
I don't think it'll be the rush around shoot out everyone thinks it will. Only when a player is 50 behind with 2 minutes left on the clock. Will definitely drag it up on the internet.

Postby SnookerFan

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:"the best 64 players on the planet taking part in a one-frame shoot out with a random draw" Would that not make it the Top 64 players, No?

Also, what happens if a frame is level after 12 minutes? I'm not looking for holes, just wondering. :chin:
Hopefully this will grab peoples imagination.

A penalty shoout out?