Post a reply

Re: How John Higgins tried to bet on snooker Championship

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:In that case would they distance themselves from Higgins……..

thats the thing during that conversation John was not in the room ....

i think theres 2 things here thats cocking up Higgins career firstly pat mooney going behind his back and playing john to some extent and keeping him in the dark until it was to late and secondly this second story in the NOTW today trying to make out Higgins is a money grabber.

Postby Wildey

lets not forget another angle could it be that it wasn't Higgins that called ladbrooks but someone else close to higgins with a scottish accent that just happened to get his account details ??

Postby Casey

wildJONESEYE wrote:lets not forget another angle could it be that it wasn't Higgins that called ladbrooks but someone else close to higgins with a scottish accent that just happened to get his account details ??

No I doubt it. If Higgins did call them there will be records so I would say the WPBSA will know the truth of this very soon

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:lets not forget another angle could it be that it wasn't Higgins that called ladbrooks but someone else close to higgins with a scottish accent that just happened to get his account details ??

No I doubt it. If Higgins did call them there will be records so I would say the WPBSA will know the truth of this very soon

yes good point <doh> john what a idiot

Postby Wildey

Fresh doubt over Higgins parakeet claims as mystery lingers over entrapment ‘firm’

As John Higgins faces new allegations today of betting-related misconduct, sportingintelligence can reveal that a phone call at the centre of the fresh claims was assessed at the time by the relevant gambling authorities and deemed “clean” and not worthy of further investigation or action.

The front page of today’s News of the World claimed a ‘Shocking New Snooker Sensation’ and carried the headline ‘Higgins bet on himself to LOSE’.

The accompanying story, rather confusingly, explains in some detail how Higgins, in fact, had actually NOT placed a bet on the match in question, the 2009 World Championship final against Shaun Murphy.

The newspaper alleges that Higgins tried to place a bet on Murphy during a break in the match at a point when Higgins was ahead. The NotW does not specify how much the attempted bet was for, or when Higgins allegedly attempted to place it, or whether Higgins wanted to bet on Murphy winning a frame, a session or the match.

The paper does not allege a specific amount or specific bet because its source cannot remember.

The Ladbrokes call centre worker who allegedly had the conversation in question with Higgins has, the paper says, “sworn a legal affidavit” saying that Higgins called and asked to place a bet. It is not known if the NotW paid the source for her story.

“I can’t remember exactly how much he wanted to bet but the figure £1,000 sticks in my mind,” this source told the NotW, adding that she asked Higgins why he would want to bet on Murphy. “I just want to cover myself,” the source alleges that Higgins told her.

The source says Higgins was doing so well in the match at the time of the call that “a bomb would have had to come through the roof for him to lose.”

If this quote reflects Higgins’ domination at the time, it would be logical to assume the call took place on Monday 4 May after the third session (of four) of the two-day final. The score after the first session was 4-4, after the second session 11-5 (both those on Sunday), and after third session, 16-8.

The first player to 18 frames wins the final. Higgins won the match 18-9, and picked up £250,000 for winning. He would have banked £125,000 runners-up prize money if he had lost.

It should be stressed: Higgins placed no bet. But for readers who don’t understand betting, if Higgins had indeed placed a £1,000 bet, while 16-8 up, on Murphy to win the match (at 25-1 or thereabouts at that time), Higgins would be guaranteed £250,000 from winning the match, and still only £150,000 from losing. In other words, even if he had placed that bet, there was still a clear incentive for himself to win.

MORE HERE http://www.sportingintelligence.com/201 ... ntrapment-‘firm’-090502/

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:I would be AMAZED if this is true. AMAZED. I saw NOTW carry this headline, and deliberately didn't buy it. If they are going to make allegations, they should at least make it sound true.

i think this story is in to try and cast doubts over john higgins honesty as a person in relation to the match fixing claim.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I would be AMAZED if this is true. AMAZED. I saw NOTW carry this headline, and deliberately didn't buy it. If they are going to make allegations, they should at least make it sound true.

i think this story is in to try and cast doubts over john higgins honesty as a person in relation to the match fixing claim.

Of course it is. They are losing credibility in themselves I find though.

Postby paperbackwriter

I feel like I'm slowly going crazy after the day of reading both news and opinions, have to stop. Or maybe it's already happened because it all stopped to make any sense for me- to the point where I find it amazing that people are able to draw any conclusions from 'Higgins betting against himself' thing or maybe even any conclusions at all (at least about John's role).
The ethic of 'insurance' bets is questionable when we're talking about John Higgins in a situation he was in. But it's least absorbing for me since the bet was hardly an insurance somebody would look for (I mean the sum he could gain out of this). He would have to be amazingly obsessed with money. And the fact that he tried to do it himself... I'd maybe understand that it was really some twisted way of calming the nerves or any other weird act of nervousness- but it wasn't his first WC final, he was ahead... such desperate show of panic just doesn't fit. Blaming stupidity or naivety is another option and in both situations- but I can only believe it when it comes to the meeting in Kiev. With the betting thing- well, there's a limit to everything, it would be offensive. So, in the end, I wonder if it's possible it was completely made up (and with poor imagination) or at least in some parts. And if it covers the fact that NOTW weren't able to provide what they promised or something worse.

Postby Wildey

it really can not be a made up story but johns involvement in it could have been manipulated from mooney point of view seing as he has been quoted in the NOTW as saying "There has been a whole range of emotions, despair, frustration, anger, rage. The biggest sense is betrayal. Where do you start? Where do you start?" betrayed by who ? no need to think hard.

Postby paperbackwriter

it really can not be a made up story but johns involvement in it could have been manipulated from mooney point of view seing as he has been quoted in the NOTW as saying "There has been a whole range of emotions, despair, frustration, anger, rage. The biggest sense is betrayal. Where do you start? Where do you start?" betrayed by who ? no need to think hard.

Yeah, I've only considered the story about Higgins trying to bet against himself made up, at least some part of it. I know that the 'bigger' one is real.
Hope that what John says is true and that there's something that can prove it visibly. If not, he's making things much worse I'm afraid...

Postby Wildey

barry Hearn said it will be cleared in days and weeks and not months and months well after another 3 weeks it will be turning in to a month.

so lets hope in 21 days its cleared up and move on with whatever it brings.

Postby GrumpyMrDavros

Templeton Peck wrote:I suppose the timescale depends on how co-operative everyone is. If Higgins doesn't like the outcome though and mounts a legal challenge you will definitely be looking at months.

Not sure if it's that complicated . During the Hann allegation he was invited to attend and didn't turn up so was banned for 8 years . I doubt if it's a case the hearing will centre around when it's most convient for Higgins and Mooney

Postby Wildey

GrumpyMrDavros wrote:
Templeton Peck wrote:I suppose the timescale depends on how co-operative everyone is. If Higgins doesn't like the outcome though and mounts a legal challenge you will definitely be looking at months.

Not sure if it's that complicated . During the Hann allegation he was invited to attend and didn't turn up so was banned for 8 years . I doubt if it's a case the hearing will centre around when it's most convient for Higgins and Mooney

i got a feeling Templeton knows all there is to know about hann ;)

Postby SnookerFan

The story of him being in Kiev and talking to businessmen has at least some kind of video proving the conversation took place. Even if the NOTW are twisting the facts, they have least provided something to back up their claims. What the investigation needs to look into, is whether the claims are genuine, based on the evidence.

But I would be utterly flabbergasted if this story of him betting on himself weren't almost complete fabrication. If that had have happened, why would it take a year for it to come out. Are you telling me that somebody who was going to alert the papers would wait a year? Or that the NOTW on knowing this story would've waited a year to catch Higgins in a sting?

It's got to be embellishment, even if the original story is true.

Postby Sickpotter

Alex0paul WC wrote:What about Joe Swail betting on someone to beat his highest break in 2000 then? The same sort of insurance?

Betting someone will beat your high break is not the same kind of insurance as betting you'll lose.

You can't control if someone will get a higher break but you can certainly control losing a match so not comperable.

I disagree with players making "insurance" bets around any aspect of the game that they can control.

High break insurance, that's fine. :idea:

Match insurance should never be allowed. :no:

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:I'm totally in agreement with witz on this topic.

<ok>

However, upon reflection ive now got to slightly retract my original stance that i was 100% happy with players doing cover bets / insurance bets etc. to gurantee them a certain amount of cash win or lose.

With this safety net the importance of winning becomes lesser as its no longer critical, financially anyway to have to win, therefore players might not be totally focused or committed as they would be normally.

Postby Monique

Witz78 wrote:im not a Higgins fan, nor do i condone his actions from last week - infact ban him for life i say!!! - but as far as the latest allegations go, then sensibly who can blame Higgins for covering himself, especially when well ahead.

Well I disagree. The rules, and the players contract are very clear: they are not allowed to bet on matches they are involved in. I think it's only a common sense rule. So if Higgins did that, whatever the reasons, he tried to breach the rules and I' m sure he knew it. They all know it.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
Witz78 wrote:im not a Higgins fan, nor do i condone his actions from last week - infact ban him for life i say!!! - but as far as the latest allegations go, then sensibly who can blame Higgins for covering himself, especially when well ahead.

Well I disagree. The rules, and the players contract are very clear: they are not allowed to bet on matches they are involved in. I think it's only a common sense rule. So if Higgins did that, whatever the reasons, he tried to breach the rules and I' m sure he knew it. They all know it.

well i think you know im a million percent behind you on that and i would expose any player past or present thats done this ridicule them embarrass them tarnish their reputation and lets see if players of the future will be this stupid to even try it.

Postby Casey

I find this very dodgy, the witness is unclear of the event. Also betting £1k when there is a difference of £125k at stake….doesn’t really stack up.

Firstly – This is a braking the data protection act, regardless of being a former or current employee you are not allowed to divulge someone’s personal details like this.

1. Documenting Higgins has an account with the firm
2. Giving a transcript of verbal communication
3. Giving details of his account (she mentioned several things, even what level his account was, that he wasn't a heavy user)
4. mentioning how much he was looking to bet

Even if the girl is telling the truth all of this are an infringement on John’s rights, giving the circumstances he is in he might be advised not to follow it up.

If they turn out to be false the NOTW will be forced to print a full retraction to be consistent with the original story ie. On the same pages. So in other words they would have to print a retraction headline on the front page, then go into details on page 4 where the story was printed.

Postby Roland

Monique wrote:

Well I don't agree with the wording, but Witz made the very valid point about why he would consider such a move and it involved taking the pressure off himself somewhat. It was ill-advised, there's not a chance in hell John Higgins would consider throwing the World Final and the mindset is one of paranoia about a comeback, and also it infringes his rights by the Ladbrokes employee coming out and naming him like this. NOTW doesn't have a leg to stand on from where I'm viewing. I would suggest he wasn't thinking straight and maybe he had a few drinks after day 1 to calm his nerves and when you've had a few drinks and there is a phone nearby then anything can happen!

Postby Sickpotter

I don't think I can agree with any player betting on the match if the bet involves something within their control.

Match insurance to help them deal with the pressure. :chin: .......don't like it.

Part of being a top player is the ability to deal with extreme pressure.

A player can't take a beta blocker because it's an unfair advantage allowing the player to control the stress he's put under or at least the physical symptoms of it.

If you allow a player to place insurance bets and wind up in a situation where one player can afford to place the bet and another can't you've allowed an unfair advantage.

All players should deal with the pressure associated with the event without outside aid of any kind, be it a beta blocker or a bet.

Because the area is so grey I think it's just simplest all around to prohibit any player betting on matches :idea:

Postby Roland

Yes agreed sickpotter. I don't agree with it (what Higgins is alleged to have done), but I can see why it crossed his mind. I'm sure if there aren't any guidelines for the players in this sort of circumstance then there should be. It's a bit of a grey area.

Postby Wildey

you know whats bugging me

She revealed: "I was watching the game on the big screen when the players got up and walked off for an interval. Higgins was well ahead at the time, he was on fire.

"Then about five minutes later the phone rang so I answered and asked for the account ID. He gave me his name and password but I knew it was him straight away from the soft Scottish accent.

so john left the arena and in 5 minutes rang ladbrooks from a mobile :?

the first thing he allegedly thought of after the session lets put on a bet :?

what about rejoicing he was leading or seeing his wife and kids ohhh no put on a bloody bet.

something just do not add up about that.