Post a reply

Re: ROS proposes breakaway tour

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:I'd definitely take Ronnies career over Hendrys career. Particularly as Hendry had a very poor and painful span of 10 years before he finally retired in 2012.

Ronnie on the other hand has been playing at a high level for more than 25 years. A quarter of a century. This is quite insane.

The only thing missing from Ronnies point of view are another 1-2 world titles. From ROS point of view that would be biggest dissapointment should his last world title really came in 2013.

Me too. Ronnie's over Hendry's all day long. Much longer time at the top, still winning tournaments. Hendry had 10 very good years and that was it.

Postby Erza Scarlet

Chalk McHugh wrote:Good post. I have had the greatest pleasure following Ronnie on his snooker journey.I've no doubt you have to. Hopefully still a couple of chapters left yet.

Yep and he will. He's playing better in these last 2 seasons than he was from late 2014- early 2017. His form has always been up and down and that'll never change. <ok>

I think he can play up to the age of 50. He's a one-off as Kyren said in a recent interview about trying to topple the class of 92.

Postby Erza Scarlet

TheRocket wrote:I'd definitely take Ronnies career over Hendrys career. Particularly as Hendry had a very poor and painful span of 10 years before he finally retired in 2012.

Ronnie on the other hand has been playing at a high level for more than 25 years. A quarter of a century. This is quite insane.

Yep this is what I meant by people preferring a journey. You said it better.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

I saw someone on reddit saying this is all PR and compared it to pro wrestling. I can see it a bit. Hearn as the "maniacal" heel owner and Ronnie as Stone Cold Steve Austin causing chaos.

Postby gallantrabbit

So Ronnie is doing it for the players? Why didn't he utter a word when there were 6/7 tourneys a year.
I'd be taking a very careful look at his comments and players contract and banning him four minutes before the Ford semi...
Shock value!! His tour is b@ll! He'd be bored with glorified exhibitions after a month

Postby gallantrabbit

And this week we have...O'sullivan v Higgins!! This week the best of 71 frames!! zzzzz Fool!!
Hearn has to do something. He can't have Ronnie running off with all the money (as he's likely to do this week) and just sit there slagtweeting the boss...not on!!

Postby carayip

If I were Barry Hearn, I would block ROS on twitter, ignore everything he said in the media and basically just brush it all as some kind of a joke. Unless ROS is willing to sit down and discuss in a meeting or express his opinions through the official channels. It’s not like ROS would really dare pull out all the world snooker tournaments tomorrow. I don’t believe that.

Postby gallantrabbit

If he pulls out he pulls it. Can't be held to ransom when he won't even talk. Most of what he says comes from fantasy land.

Postby Chalk McHugh

His interview was utter gibberish. Off the wall nonsense. Is it some kind of joke between him and Hearn? Probably not as Barry made quite a lot of sense in his BBC interview yesterday. Please Ronnie, stop with this sense of entitlement.

Postby Iranu

I have to say, I don't really understand Ronnie's point about having to play in everything.

I mean the lower players do, sure (although if travel costs are counteracting their winnings, if they don't win a couple if matches then I query that too.) But once you get in the top 16 does it really matter whether you're 16 or 1? You're seeded the same way regardless and you're only missing out on one tournament if you're not top 8 on the one year list.

Postby carayip

Iranu wrote:I have to say, I don't really understand Ronnie's point about having to play in everything.

I mean the lower players do, sure (although if travel costs are counteracting their winnings, if they don't win a couple if matches then I query that too.) But once you get in the top 16 does it really matter whether you're 16 or 1? You're seeded the same way regardless and you're only missing out on one tournament if you're not top 8 on the one year list.

That event for top 8 players is not one to be missed though. £150000 for 3 matches only = easy money, huge ranking points, the rich becomes richer.

Postby vodkadiet

Pink Ball wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:When does the first match in the new tour occur?

February 30.

My birthday is February 29. It may as well be February 30! I am only 12! If only...,

Postby gallantrabbit

Ban ROS and show him who's boss. If Ronnie (finally) left snooker it would be a blow to snooker. If Hearn left it might even be the end.

Postby Ash147

gallantrabbit wrote:Ban ROS and show him who's boss. If Ronnie (finally) left snooker it would be a blow to snooker. If Hearn left it might even be the end.

If Hearn were to ban Ronnie the sponsorship would dry up quicker than the Sahara desert.

Postby gallantrabbit

no you're exagerrating. Will we have to beg him to play on till he's 70 then???!! Snooker can more than survive without him if all he can do is badmouth.

Postby Dan-cat

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:I saw someone on reddit saying this is all PR and compared it to pro wrestling. I can see it a bit. Hearn as the "maniacal" heel owner and Ronnie as Stone Cold Steve Austin causing chaos.

As mentioned earlier in another thread, it’s a master stroke of a storyline!

Postby Dan-cat

Ash147 wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:Ban ROS and show him who's boss. If Ronnie (finally) left snooker it would be a blow to snooker. If Hearn left it might even be the end.

If Hearn were to ban Ronnie the sponsorship would dry up quicker than the Sahara desert.

Not true. The tournaments are all set up, the TV deals are done, the sponsors get telly time. Makes no odds if Ronnie plays or not. As a business it’s a going concern with or without its star employee.

Postby Iranu

It would be interesting to see how the viewing figures were when Ronnie took the season off.

I'd imagine that only the BBC events dipped noticeably, and even then not exactly dangerously. I get the feeling that if you watch tournaments regularly on Eurosport, you're watching for more than just Ronnie.

I think there'd be a lot of scaremongering in the media but ultimately the sport will be fine.

Postby gallantrabbit

Of course we'd want guys like Trump to step up, but I'd be relieved not to have to see the Ronnie sneer for a bit. And I love watching him play.

Postby vodkadiet

Alex Higgins was a far bigger crowd draw than O'Sullivan and the sport continued unaffected. Snooker would be fine if O'Sullivan became a full time Monk or marathon runner.

Postby Holden Chinaski

gallantrabbit wrote:Absolutely right!!
What was the famous Higgins phrase? "Can snooker survive without me?"

Yes, but Jimmy White was there to take over as the crowd favourite in those days.. He was extremely popular as well.

Who's there now to take over from Ronnie as the crowd pleaser? Judd? He's no Jimmy White.

Postby vodkadiet

Yes. He said that!

O'Sullivan thinks he runs snooker and Hearn isn't hard enough on him. £1 million fine might shut him up!

Postby vodkadiet

Holden Chinaski wrote:

Yes, but Jimmy White was there to take over as the crowd favourite in those days.. He was extremely popular as well.

Who's there now to take over from Ronnie as the crowd pleaser? Judd? He's no Jimmy White.

Tom Ford?

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:It would be interesting to see how the viewing figures were when Ronnie took the season off.

I'd imagine that only the BBC events dipped noticeably, and even then not exactly dangerously. I get the feeling that if you watch tournaments regularly on Eurosport, you're watching for more than just Ronnie.

I think there'd be a lot of scaremongering in the media but ultimately the sport will be fine.

I didn't even watch a single match form start to finish in that season, I couldn't be fussed. I just read the news on who won the major events.