Post a reply

Re: ROS proposes breakaway tour

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:
Ash147 wrote:Hearn would love for Ronnie to play in those invitationals, and Ronnie knows that. The question is will Hearn's ego get in the way of admitting it, or will his love of money prevail?

Haha well put...

...so would ITV / BBC, and they really call the shots...

It's sophie's choice for Hearn!

But the criteria are the criteria, regardless of whether Ronnie makes it or not.

If they changed that just so he's in the events there would (or should) be uproar.

Postby Ash147

Wildey wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
Ash147 wrote:Hearn would love for Ronnie to play in those invitationals, and Ronnie knows that. The question is will Hearn's ego get in the way of admitting it, or will his love of money prevail?

Haha well put...

Seriously any sport that gives way to a 40 year old and ignores what other players wants are screwed. So it would have to go to a vote anyway.

40 year old or not, Ronnie brings in the money. Like Dan said ITV and BBC would love Ronnie to play in all of their events, and so would Hearn.

Whatever the sport, you want your best player in the big events. Plain and simple.

Postby Wildey

Ash147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

Haha well put...

Seriously any sport that gives way to a 40 year old and ignores what other players wants are screwed. So it would have to go to a vote anyway.

40 year old or not, Ronnie brings in the money. Like Dan said ITV and BBC would love Ronnie to play in all of their events, and so would Hearn.

Whatever the sport, you want your best player in the big events. Plain and simple.

You don't always get or what you deserve in a thriving sport so that doesent really matter if other players goes on strike you got to listen to the majority over a individual

Postby Ash147

Money talks, Wild. Like it or not Ronnie is a bigger draw factor than most of the tour combined. I agree that no one player is bigger than the sport, but Ronnie is certainly close to it.

Postby Wildey

Ash147 wrote:Money talks, Wild. Like it or not Ronnie is a bigger draw factor than most of the tour combined.

Nobody is bigger than the sport. Ronnie could find that out the hard way.

Postby The_Abbott

Ash147 wrote:Money talks, Wild. Like it or not Ronnie is a bigger draw factor than most of the tour combined. I agree that no one player is bigger than the sport, but Ronnie is certainly close to it.

This is why some events/organisers want Jimmy White to play an exhibition or play in the draw because he still brings in fans to watch him. The young players just don't seem to connect to the audience as much as the 40+ year olds.

I think emotion plays a part. We like to see players showing emotions at times. Not robots potting balls or playing safety.

Postby Ash147

Wildey wrote:
Ash147 wrote:Money talks, Wild. Like it or not Ronnie is a bigger draw factor than most of the tour combined.

Like I said no one is bigger than the sport, but Ronnie is the definitely close to it.

Postby Wildey

Ash147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Like I said no one is bigger than the sport, but Ronnie is the definitely close to it.

Other players will always replace him it's happened before and it will happen again.

Postby Ash147

Wildey wrote:
Ash147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Other players will always replace him it's happened before and it will happen again.

Who is it going to be though? The closest thing to a people's champion is Trump, but he's still quite away from Ronnie in overall support. There are a lot more people that watch just for Ronnie than just for Trump. The public take to personalities, and people who play flair snooker. Ronnie is still the people's favourite, and will be until he retires.

Postby Wildey

I think excitement in tournaments goes up when Ronnie not in it or he loses it goes from 100%ronnie will win it to its anyone's to win

Postby Ash147

Wildey wrote:I think excitement in tournaments goes up when Ronnie not in it or he loses it goes from 100%ronnie will win it to its anyone's to win

I disagree, the excitement goes up if Ronnie is in it. If he doesn't play in a tournament it becomes more unpredictable, that's definitely true.

Postby gallantrabbit

Of course we want o'sullivan in every tourney possible. If he has grievances he can go to the players commission like everyone else and hios views may be heard more sympathetically.

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:Would be an interesting vote. Count your ten best results in the ranking tournaments you enter. I doubt even the lower ranked players would vote against that.

I doubt Hearn would put it to a vote because tournaments and their sponsors wouldn't like the risk of losing top players.

Ranking wise I don't think anything would change, at least not drastically.

Postby Wildey

Ash147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:I think excitement in tournaments goes up when Ronnie not in it or he loses it goes from 100%ronnie will win it to its anyone's to win

I disagree, the excitement goes up if Ronnie is in it. If he doesn't play in a tournament it becomes more unpredictable, that's definitely true.

Unpredictability = excitement

Postby Ash147

Wildey wrote:
Ash147 wrote:

Not always.

Postby Wildey

Ash147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Ash147 wrote:

Not always.

As far as I'm concerned always

Postby Wildey

What made ronnie exciting was his Unpredictability. He's losing that now he's becoming Hendry and Davis regarding consistency.

Postby Ash147

Ronnie will always be exciting to watch because of how he plays the game. He still has a little bit of unpredictability about him, although definitely not as much as he once did.

Ronnie has more flair and personality than Hendry and Davis will ever have.

Postby Wildey

Ash147 wrote:Ronnie will always be exciting to watch because of how he plays the game. He still has a little bit of unpredictability about him, although definitely not as much as he once did.

How even his interviews are recycled thees nothing unpredictable there any more let's be honest

Postby Holden Chinaski

What makes Ronnie exciting is the way he plays snooker. When he plays you're almost certain you're going to see special shots and brilliant breaks. There is always a big chance of a 147 break or a magical clearance which almost seems impossible. The way he plays will always be exciting and enjoyable for people who love snooker and can appreciate how good he is. This is the reason even Stephen Hendry once said Ronnie was the only player he would pay money for to see him play.

All the rest is bull. I don't really care what Ronnie has to say and I find this thread and all the talk on this forum about Ronnie's rants boring as hell. :zzz:

Postby Ash147

Holden Chinaski wrote:What makes Ronnie exciting is the way he plays snooker. When he plays you're almost certain you're going to see special shots and brilliant breaks. There is always a big chance of a 147 break or a magical clearance which almost seems impossible. The way he plays will always be exciting and enjoyable for people who love snooker and can appreciate how good he is. This is the reason even Stephen Hendry once said Ronnie was the only player he would pay money for to see him play.

This.

Postby Ash147

Wildey wrote:
Ash147 wrote:Ronnie will always be exciting to watch because of how he plays the game. He still has a little bit of unpredictability about him, although definitely not as much as he once did.

How even his interviews are recycled thees nothing unpredictable there any more let's be honest

His interviews are much more interesting than the generic interviews that a lot of players give. Even if he can't articulate himself as eloquently as some others, he at least makes some interesting points.

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:

If unpredictability = excitement why were you such a huge Hendry fan? He's possibly the most predictable winner the game's ever seen.

I think Ronnie's previous unpredictability is what allows his fans to enjoy his regular winning nowadays, I think. "Suffering" through the years of meltdowns, on-table antics and explosive temperament makes the last 5 or so years stil feel like something of a novelty. I also think a lot of fans still can't quite believe that this consistency will continue, particularly as he's now supposedly at the tail end of his career. There's an inkling that age should kick in at some point.

Also his shotmaking etc is still unpredictable.

I don't think having Ronnie in a tournament detracts from it. At the end of the day he can only affect his own matches.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:

He did pretend to be a robot a couple of times. That was hilarious. :|

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski wrote:What makes Ronnie exciting is the way he plays snooker. When he plays you're almost certain you're going to see special shots and brilliant breaks. There is always a big chance of a 147 break or a magical clearance which almost seems impossible. The way he plays will always be exciting and enjoyable for people who love snooker and can appreciate how good he is. This is the reason even Stephen Hendry once said Ronnie was the only player he would pay money for to see him play.

All the rest is bull. I don't really care what Ronnie has to say and I find this thread and all the talk on this forum about Ronnie's rants boring as hell. :zzz:

I really don't find that exciting at all. I appreciate his brilliance and how effortless he makes everything look butis that really exciting I don't get it.

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:
Wildey wrote:

If unpredictability = excitement why were you such a huge Hendry fan? He's possibly the most predictable winner the game's ever seen.

I think Ronnie's previous unpredictability is what allows his fans to enjoy his regular winning nowadays, I think. "Suffering" through the years of meltdowns, on-table antics and explosive temperament makes the last 5 or so years stil feel like something of a novelty. I also think a lot of fans still can't quite believe that this consistency will continue, particularly as he's now supposedly at the tail end of his career. There's an inkling that age should kick in at some point.

Also his shotmaking etc is still unpredictable.

I don't think having Ronnie in a tournament detracts from it. At the end of the day he can only affect his own matches.

I get that he has fans I was a hendry fan and enjoyed watching him thrash players but I if I was a neutral I wasn't nieve to think that was exciting stuff to watch.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:

He did pretend to be a robot a couple of times. That was hilarious. :|

He tried to do an Australian accent once as well..