Post a reply

Re: Clive Everton Ronnie book

Postby Andre147

Alex0paul wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:You may not agree with Vodka's opinion but it is a valid one. The statistics do indicate that Hendry had a better career than O'Sullivan or anybody else.

In a way Hendry did. But career achievements should be evaluated by taking into account the era one's played in and the opposition he faced.
Second of all, career achievements are just a factor in assesing greatness. You also have to look at peak form, longevity and impact on the game.

Yea it’s a tough era facing Mark Davis in semi finals

Hendry also had easy draws all day long so dont come with that crap.

All players have had easy draws i their careers.

Postby Iranu

Can we not all agree to shut the buck up about bucking eras?

Postby Chalk McHugh

Iranu wrote:Can we not all agree to shut the buck up about bucking eras?

Best post on here in a long time.

Postby Iranu

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Great post but in a weak Snooker Island era

Yes but Skullman for instance made all his best posts in a weak era.

As soon as the commenters improved he dropped off the forum. If he was around now he wouldn't be in the top 5 commenters.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Iranu wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Great post but in a weak Snooker Island era

Yes but Skullman for instance made all his best posts in a weak era.

As soon as the commenters improved he dropped off the forum. If he was around now he wouldn't be in the top 5 commenters.

rofl

Postby Andy Spark

I have a lot of respect for Clive. I haven’t always agreed with him, but nobody has documented the crap that’s gone on in snooker politics over the years more thoroughly or more sharply than Everton. Being a Ronnie fan I’ll certainly buy this book!

Postby Pink Ball

I respect Clive Everton, and he remains firmly the best commentator in the game.

I doubt he has revised his theory that titles outweigh opinions. I guess it’s the fact that Sullivan will finish his career with more majors and ranking titles that has convinced him Sullivan is now the best.

Postby Dan-cat

Pink Ball wrote:I respect Clive Everton, and he remains firmly the best commentator in the game.

I doubt he has revised his theory that titles outweigh opinions. I guess it’s the fact that Sullivan will finish his career with more majors and ranking titles that has convinced him Sullivan is now the best.

Yes I was wondering that, bit of an about turn! Great to see you posting again mate.

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:You may not agree with Vodka's opinion but it is a valid one. The statistics do indicate that Hendry had a better career than O'Sullivan or anybody else.

In a way Hendry did. But career achievements should be evaluated by taking into account the era one's played in and the opposition he faced.
Second of all, career achievements are just a factor in assesing greatness. You also have to look at peak form, longevity and impact on the game.

And so it proved.

Postby carayip

Just a thought, if Ronnie was in Hendry’s era instead of Hendry, I bet he would lose to Jimmy at least once or a couple of times in those finals. For good or bad, Ronnie doesn’t seem that ruthless of a man. I think he would feel sorry for Jimmy like almost everyone and that would affect his mentality.

Of course we will never know.

Postby sas6789

Alex0paul wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Who couldn't get past a QF in Hendry's "weak era"

Postby TheRocket

sas6789 wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Who couldn't get past a QF in Hendry's "weak era"

In Hendrys era you didn't have 20 ranking tournaments.

More tournaments+bo7's = Better chance for the Journeymen to get to semis and finals at some stage.

Postby Andre147

All speculation of course as we will never know.

One thing I think is for certain: players like King, Hamilton, Bingham, Perry and Mavis have benefited since Hearn took over.

Maybe they couldn't fullfill their potencial in their 20s and early 30s, but in their later 30s and 40s that's when they had like a second career.

Like it or not, thats the truth.

Postby Cloud Strife

Hamilton was a far better player in the late 90s/early 2000s. Don't let one tournament victory fool you into thinking he's at his peak.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:Hamilton was a far better player in the late 90s/early 2000s. Don't let one tournament victory fool you into thinking he's at his peak.

Hamilton is the only exception there.

The others arent,

Postby TheRocket

Hamilton,Perry and King imo as well are not better players now than they were back then.

But 20 ranking tourmaments is just a massive difference to 7 or 8.

12 more opportunities to win a title every season. For someone like Hamilton that would have meant 60 more opportunities to win a title during his prime years (1997-2002) . And he'd already got to two ranking finals back then. He might have even won 3-4 rankers if the current system existed back then.

No doubt though that players like Bingham and Hawkins definitely improved as a Snookerplayer. Not just in terms of titles but they actually reached another and a much higher level. Playing week in, week out has done wonders for them.

Postby Ronnie79

carayip wrote:Just a thought, if Ronnie was in Hendry’s era instead of Hendry, I bet he would lose to Jimmy at least once or a couple of times in those finals. For good or bad, Ronnie doesn’t seem that ruthless of a man. I think he would feel sorry for Jimmy like almost everyone and that would affect his mentality.

Will you cop on ffs. No way Jimmy would have beaten Ronnie in a world final. He would have filled his togs as usual

Postby Pink Ball

Ronnie79 wrote:
carayip wrote:Just a thought, if Ronnie was in Hendry’s era instead of Hendry, I bet he would lose to Jimmy at least once or a couple of times in those finals. For good or bad, Ronnie doesn’t seem that ruthless of a man. I think he would feel sorry for Jimmy like almost everyone and that would affect his mentality.

Will you cop on ffs. No way Jimmy would have beaten Ronnie in a world final. He would have filled his togs as usual

You’re an aggressive pin end. I think she has a point.

Postby Ash147

I'm a huge fan of Ronnie and Clive, so I'm really looking forward to reading this. I will be getting this as a Christmas present! :santa:

Postby Andre147

Ash147 wrote:I'm a huge fan of Ronnie and Clive, so I'm really looking forward to reading this. I will be getting this as a Christmas present! :santa:

Mine just arrived today!!! :D Looking forward to reading some great stuff from the best genius Snooker has ever seen, written by the greatest journalist and commentator.

Postby Ash147

Andre147 wrote:
Ash147 wrote:I'm a huge fan of Ronnie and Clive, so I'm really looking forward to reading this. I will be getting this as a Christmas present! :santa:

Mine just arrived today!!! :D Looking forward to reading some great stuff from the best genius Snooker has ever seen, written by the greatest journalist and commentator.

I'm very jealous! I hope you enjoy it Andre, no doubt it will be an interesting read.