Post a reply

Re: Clive Everton Ronnie book

Postby Cloud Strife

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Looks like it’s out!

I’m a huge Ronnie and Clive fan, how have I missed the marketing for this?

Yeah, I was thinking this book hasn't been marketed right. I had no clue this was being published either...


Absolutely. If even we the supposed 'hardcore' snooker fans didn't know anything about this book then someone in the marketing department clearly hasn't been doing their job properly.

Re: Clive Everton Ronnie book

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Looks like it’s out!

I’m a huge Ronnie and Clive fan, how have I missed the marketing for this?

Yeah, I was thinking this book hasn't been marketed right. I had no clue this was being published either...


Absolutely. If even we the supposed 'hardcore' snooker fans didn't know anything about this book then someone in the marketing department clearly hasn't been doing their job properly.


Yes if we didnt know anything about this, how could others have known?

Anyway... its on my must buy list. Might give myself this Christmas present.

Re: Clive Everton Ronnie book

Postby vodkadiet

When is this coming out? It looks just the right width to even out the corner of my bed in line with the others.

Clive has reached the senile stage. Now doubt he voted Brexit as well?

You need to have the titles necessary to be considered the best.

The book should be renamed 'Simply Very Good' otherwise the trade descriptions act may be in breach here and the book may be shelved....

Re: Clive Everton Ronnie book

Postby Badsnookerplayer

The title is a bit strange as it evokes Chris Eubank more than ROS. I am sure it is better than his autobiography which was along the lines of:

'I get up and I like muesli for breakfast. Jimmy White is nice bur Steve Davis is a tad boring. I like running 'cos it makes me happy. I am not that keen on snooker really. Blue is my favourite colour'

Think that covers it.

Re: Clive Everton Ronnie book

Postby TheSaviour

Everyone knows the monkey, but the monkey knows no-one.

Re: Clive Everton Ronnie book

Postby Johnny Bravo

vodkadiet wrote:When is this coming out? It looks just the right width to even out the corner of my bed in line with the others.

Clive has reached the senile stage. Now doubt he voted Brexit as well?

You need to have the titles necessary to be considered the best.

The book should be renamed 'Simply Very Good' otherwise the trade descriptions act may be in breach here and the book may be shelved....


The truth hurts, doesn't it Vodka ? :evilgrin:

ROS has the necessary titles: 5 WC, 7 Masters, 6 UK; a total of 33 rankers and counting, 950 tons and counting, most 147's and counting. Plus he's the most entertaining player, a joy to watch when at his best <cool>

And if Clive doesn't know what he's talking about, then nobody does. :spot on:

Re: Clive Everton Ronnie book

Postby Johnny Bravo

Dan-cat wrote:More triple crowns than anyone else?


At the moment, he's level with Hendry, but by the time he retires, he'll definitely be in front. :win:

Re: Clive Everton Ronnie book

Postby vodkadiet

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:More triple crowns than anyone else?


At the moment, he's level with Hendry, but by the time he retires, he'll definitely be in front. :win:



7 > 5

:|

Re: Clive Everton Ronnie book

Postby Johnny Bravo

vodkadiet wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:More triple crowns than anyone else?


At the moment, he's level with Hendry, but by the time he retires, he'll definitely be in front. :win:



7 > 5

:|



In case u didn't know, the phrase "triple crowns" also includes Masters and UK titles, not just the WC. :parrot:

Re: Clive Everton Ronnie book

Postby Andre147

Alex0paul wrote:The UK Championship is a tin pot event now


Hendry also won tthe UK when they reduced the Final to Best of 19 instead of Best of 31.

One could argue his titles dont count much when compared to Davis who won all of his with a Best of 31 Final.

Yes it's not what it used to be today, but it's still one of the Triple Crown events, and all players badly want to win them, whatever the format. ROS will likely end his career with more than Hendry.

Re: Clive Everton Ronnie book

Postby TheRocket

I have a clear opinion on this.

Atm Hendry for me is still the Goat cuz the difference between 7 and 5 is too much to ignore and argue it away.

If Ronnie O'Sullivan wins one more world title it'd be tight and I'd already lean towards ROS. Simply because he'd be ahead of Hendry in many other departments (like Masters,UK, (soon) more rankers, longevity).

If O'Sullivan wins two more titles and gets to 7 there'd no debate anymore and he'd be the undisputable Goat.

At this stage of his career I'd be glad if he finally got to 6 first though.

Re: Clive Everton Ronnie book

Postby Andre147

I'm more than happy with ROS career if it ended today, but yes, one more World Title would close the gap with 1, level with Davis and just be within 1 of Hendry.

I believe he can do it, but winning another 2 seems a bit too much now. The 2014 Final was his best chance of tying Hendry. But 1 more is definately possible.

Re: Clive Everton Ronnie book

Postby Andre147

Anyway, I dont really care if Clive considers him the best or not.

For me that's irrelevant in my decision to buy the book. I'm buying the book because Clive is the best Snooker encyclopedia there is.

Re: Clive Everton Ronnie book

Postby SnookerFan

When Ronnie was only one three World Titles, I had Hendry ahead.

I think it's a lot closer now. The World Championships tally is pretty much the only thing that dictates it's Hendry. Most other stats say it's Ronnie. Apart from total rankers won, and even that's so close it doesn't really matter. Ronnie will win more anyway.

To be honest, I don't really see that it matters. The two best players of all time. The only real reason to decide on a best is fanboyism of one or the other. Which is why it tends to lead to such massive arguments.

Besides, greatness is a subjective term. Two players can be great for different reasons. Hendry was a greater continual winner, who popularised a certain style of play. Ronnie is the greatest natural talent. Both great for different reasons.

Re: Clive Everton Ronnie book

Postby vodkadiet

TheRocket wrote:I have a clear opinion on this.

Atm Hendry for me is still the Goat cuz the difference between 7 and 5 is too much to ignore and argue it away.

If Ronnie O'Sullivan wins one more world title it'd be tight and I'd already lean towards ROS. Simply because he'd be ahead of Hendry in many other departments (like Masters,UK, (soon) more rankers, longevity).

If O'Sullivan wins two more titles and gets to 7 there'd no debate anymore and he'd be the undisputable Goat.

At this stage of his career I'd be glad if he finally got to 6 first though.


Balanced post from an O'Sullivan fan. Respect to you.

Re: Clive Everton Ronnie book

Postby Iranu

The book is titled "Simply The Best". Not "Simply The Greatest".

I think we can all agree that Ronnie is capable of playing the best standard of snooker we've ever seen. That's not necessarily the same as being the greatest player of all time.

I agree with SF anyway. It's a pointless debate because people will ultimately believe what they believe. In all the years this argument has raged, I haven't seen anybody change someone else's mind.

Re: Clive Everton Ronnie book

Postby Alex0paul

I call you when I need you, my heart's on fire
You come to me, come to me wild and wired
Oh, you come to me, give me everything I need
Give me a life time of promises and a world of dreams
Speak the language of love like you know what it means
Mm, and it can't be wrong, take my heart and make it strong, babe
You're simply the best, better than all the rest
Better than anyone, anyone I ever met
I'm stuck on your heart, I hang on every word you say
Tear us apart, baby, I would rather be dead
In your heart I see the start of every night and every day
In your eyes I get lost, I get washed away
Just as long here in your arms I could be in no better place
You're simply the best, better than all the rest
Better than anyone, anyone I ever met
I'm stuck on your heart, I hang on every word you say
Tear us apart, baby, I would rather be dead
Each time you leave me I start losing control
You're walking away with my heart and my soul
I can feel you even when I'm alone
Oh, baby, don't let go
You're the best, better than all the rest
Better than anyone, anyone I ever met
I'm stuck on your heart
I hang on every word you say
Tear us apart
Baby I would rather be dead
Oh you're the best

Re: Clive Everton Ronnie book

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:The book is titled "Simply The Best". Not "Simply The Greatest".

I think we can all agree that Ronnie is capable of playing the best standard of snooker we've ever seen. That's not necessarily the same as being the greatest player of all time.

I agree with SF anyway. It's a pointless debate because people will ultimately believe what they believe. In all the years this argument has raged, I haven't seen anybody change someone else's mind.


:bowdown: :clap: :goodpost: