Post a reply

Re: Tony Drago Retires from Professional Play

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Yeah - he will probably win another but I think I am right that Carter hurt him at the Worlds

We will see.

The Shanghai Masters was a good win indeed. Short Format though

Do you not think the loss to Carter would have an effect?

Postby TheRocket

Badsnookerplayer wrote:We will see.

Will the loss of Selby to Perry have any effect? Will Trumps defeat against Higgins have any effect? You could virtually ask that question with regard to everyone apart from the World Champ. There's no point in just picking out ROS here.

And ROS just played an absolute rubbish World Championship this year. Maguire should have beaten him already in the 1st round. So imo it's even easier to get over a defeat and dissappointment. If there's one player who should be hurt its probably Higgins, given that he's lost two consecutive world finals.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

TheRocket wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:We will see.

Will the loss of Selby to Perry have any effect? Will Trumps defeat against Higgins have any effect? You could virtually ask that question with regard to everyone apart from the World Champ. There's no point in just picking out ROS here.

And ROS just played an absolute rubbish World Championship this year. Maguire should have beaten him already in the 1st round. So imo it's even easier to get over a defeat and dissappointment. If there's one player who should be hurt its probably Higgins, given that he's lost two consecutive world finals.

Good points well made.

I am probably wrong given the weight of opinion on here. ROS often makes a big deal of not caring how he does in a tournament but this was one match I think he really wanted to win - hence his antics.

Postby TheRocket

@BadSnookerPlayer

Actually I have also my doubts as to whether ROS can win another World title. But not because of a single defeat to Carter. Its more like his general performance level at the Crucible in recent time which has been quite poor for his standards. Hasn't reached the one table stage since 2014 either.

So there are some worrying signs for ROS and age isn't on his side either as an almost 43 year old.
But imo he has another 2-3 attempts to win the title and I think he'll do it at one stage and win that long-awaited sixth world title.

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I wonder what Tony Drago will do now that he is retired?

Play golf. Tend an allotment. Walk the dog. Follow the test matches in the cricket. Visit his mates at Weatherspoons at 10am.