Post a reply

Re: Possible sponsorship problems ahead...

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski wrote:Here's an idea. A fashion brand like Hugo Boss could sponsor snooker and design the clothes for the players. Snooker players always play in fancy waistcoats and stuff so why not...

Things like Shoot Out wont atract Big blue chip companies it chepans the sport big time ive said this for donkeys now but NO Barry knows Best and the only thing that sponsors events outside china is Betting firms.

You got to think big and believe 100% in the product and then sponsorship from other sources might follow.

Postby Dan-cat

Or maybe simply the betting companies offer the biggest wedge currently as it's hugely in their interests to be prominent in sporting events.

If they go out of the picture (no pun intended) then perhaps other types of companies will step up to fill the void across all sports. Prize money may go down, but the events will still run.

Postby Wildey

Dan-cat wrote:Or maybe simply the betting companies offer the biggest wedge currently as it's hugely in their interests to be prominent in sporting events.

If they go out of the picture (no pun intended) then perhaps other types of companies will step up to fill the void across all sports. Prize money may go down, but the events will still run.

I Believe Big companies dont want to be associated with snooker because of the link to Gambling its a massive problem in society today and the internet has made it 30 times worst.

Possibly if Betting firms pull out long term it could be for the better but it will put snooker back 10 years if it happens.

Hearn has to think long term and start to weed out Betting firms on his terms before it hits like it did with tabaco. First move HAS to be the shoot out that has to GO.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Seems sad to admit it, but maybe these companies don't want snooker. Why did Pukka Pies do only one event? Probably because it made no noticeable difference to their brand. Unlike betting companies who probably see an immediate up-tick from snooker exposure.

In China there are a variety of sponsor types because of the massive viewing figures.

I'm sure Barry tries other avenues. We are screwed though if a law comes in to stop betting companies being featured on TV...

Maybe so.

Has there ever been a history of alcohol sponsoring snooker events? That just seems such a natural thing to do, happens a lot in other sports.

I know alcohol probably isn't any better as a sponsor than gambling or tobacco. But at least it's not all eggs in one basket.

Postby kolompar

LeonD123 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:I'm hoping Quorn might pick up sponsorship of an event

They're already sponsoring that clean British athlete.

British <laugh>

I'm chinese https://imgur.com/a/6IfDm

Disgusting. People like you is the reason Ding hasn't won the Worlds <ok>

Postby kolompar

Wildey wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Or maybe simply the betting companies offer the biggest wedge currently as it's hugely in their interests to be prominent in sporting events.

I Believe Big companies dont want to be associated with snooker because of the link to Gambling its a massive problem in society today and the internet has made it 30 times worst.

Possibly if Betting firms pull out long term it could be for the better but it will put snooker back 10 years if it happens.

Hearn has to think long term and start to weed out Betting firms on his terms before it hits like it did with tabaco. First move HAS to be the shoot out that has to GO.

This has nothing to do with the Shoot Out, does it? rofl

Postby Wildey

kolompar wrote:
Wildey wrote:

This has nothing to do with the Shoot Out, does it? rofl

If Snooker wants to move on from Betting companies it has everything to do with it.

Shoot out is classless as is Championship league its all geared towards betting firms and unfortunately while they exists snooker cant even start to move on and attract bigger companies in to sponsoring snooker.

Postby Pink Ball

kolompar wrote:
LeonD123 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:I'm hoping Quorn might pick up sponsorship of an event

They're already sponsoring that clean British athlete.

British <laugh>

I'm chinese https://imgur.com/a/6IfDm

Disgusting. People like you is the reason Ding hasn't won the Worlds <ok>

No they're not. But they are pathetic racist runts.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Tennents UK? Hofmeister World Doubles? The list is... short.

Seriously though I think they are banned like fags aren't they?

Not that I am aware of, but have been wrong before..

The point with tobacco sponsorship was, that they weren't allowed to sponsor on television. That became law.

The loophole was that, they were allowed to sponsor televised sporting events. So all the television advertising budget went to that. (Bear in mind they sponsored other sports, as well.) That is no longer legal either.

You still get sporting events/teams sponsored by brands of beer.

Postby Snooker89

Ive always wondered is Barry Hearn the problem.Is he taking the easy road in going with gambling companies or are they really the only companies interested and its them or nothing?. Alcohol sponsorship is massively more credible than gambling. Along with Tobacco its a billion pound/ dollar industry.It would be great if beer companies were involved i.e Budweiser doing the ITV events, Fosters the UK championship and Heineken the masters etc.

Postby SnookerFan

Barry was great for the sport in many ways. He created more tournaments, and brought in sponsorship when there was none.

But has he got any long term plans, sponsorship-wise? Is he doing anything to promote the sport to other sponsors? Using connections to bring in sponsors is good. Finding more is better.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

It does seem that snooker is still in a precarious place.

The root cause is - IMO - the death of the snooker club and the masses having access to the game. Without that, where is the TV audience and hence the advertising interest?

Postby Dan-cat

Badsnookerplayer wrote:It does seem that snooker is still in a precarious place.

The root cause is - IMO - the death of the snooker club and the masses having access to the game. Without that, where is the TV audience and hence the advertising interest?

It think you'll find that the television, computer games and the internet killed the amateur snooker scene.

Postby Dan-cat

Dan-cat wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:It does seem that snooker is still in a precarious place.

It think you'll find that the television, computer games and the internet killed the amateur snooker scene.

The internet, and a thousand TV channels created a dissolution of culture.

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Was it Newcastle that used to be sponsored by Wonga.com?

Yeah and Blackpool I think

That's as bad as if not worse than gambling.

Those loan company masquerade as being helpful for those short of money, but are just taking advantage of the desperate. And saddling them with more debt then before. Too many people are short of money these days, even those in full time jobs. These companies have seen an opportunity.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Was it Newcastle that used to be sponsored by Wonga.com?

Yeah and Blackpool I think

That's as bad as if not worse than gambling.

Those loan company masquerade as being helpful for those short of money, but are just taking advantage of the desperate. And saddling them with more debt then before. Too many people are short of money these days, even those in full time jobs. These companies have seen an opportunity.

The high street now is full of these loan shops, betting shops and pound stores.

Unfortunately these are sorts of industries that do well when the economy is on its bottom like it has been since 2008.

It makes sense that they'd want to get involved in sport as well.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

The issue of ethics in sponsorship only ever focusses on the effect the companies have on it's customers. It never looks at companies that treat their staff like rubbish or who destroy the environment or who use political pressure to steal resources from poor countries.

Postby Cloud Strife

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:The issue of ethics in sponsorship only ever focusses on the effect the companies have on it's customers. It never looks at companies that treat their staff like rubbish or who destroy the environment or who use political pressure to steal resources from poor countries.

I agree, Pukka Pies were a terrible sponsor.