Post a reply

Re: Radio 5 live programme on illegal betting

Postby Roland

Now talking about Hearn. Hearn says nothing dodgy will ever happen on his watch.

Hearn says lots of speculation but no action. Sounds like he wants punishment and quickly for offences. Also says no betting patterns in Worlds because players would be stupid. And now is talking about the need for more tournaments. He's also talked to all players and basically he will put the hammer down.

He's not even sure it has happened and it's a perception issue, but under his watch this will never never happen. Anyone who gives his sponsors an excuse to pull out will be treated very harshly.

Re-emphasises need for more tournaments. Now talking about him bringing in ex=head of Metropolitan Police and that its a good move.

Postby Roland

Davis talking about prize money. This is clearly the main focus.

Davis says in relation to horse racing, anything that does go on in snooker is miniscule

Postby Roland

Steve is making out the bookmakers are going a bit overboard in reporting bets, even a tenner on an unusual score is reported, the whistle is blown and says that it's policed by the bookmakers.

Postby Roland

Let's end on a positive says interviewer - asks Steve who he thinks will win worlds, he tips Selby, WIlliams and Ding, says "don't have a bet on me coz it'll be bent" <laugh>

Is that it? Nothing particularly revealing. Not the best focus for snooker a couple of days before the Worlds but not the worst programme either. No one is going to come away thinking "snooker is currupt" after that so all in all it's been a success.

Postby Witz78

Cheesyman99 wrote:
Bourne wrote:He said betfair instead of betfred, nice one Steve <laugh>

:love:

Its not a gaffe by Davis, hes talking about gambling and the betFAIR website where punters gamble against each other as opposed to all the traditional bookies

Postby Bourne

Cheesyman99 wrote:Well that was lame.

Bring on Election...
Fingers crossed there's a streaker

Must be gutting you can't vote yet bro ... think you're old enough to vote on the Dorothy BBC1 talent show though yeh ?

Postby Cheesyman99

Bourne wrote:
Cheesyman99 wrote:Well that was lame.

Bring on Election...
Fingers crossed there's a streaker

Must be gutting you can't vote yet bro ... think you're old enough to vote on the Dorothy BBC1 talent show though yeh ?

Well, I'd vote for the Green Party or Raving Monster Looney so it's probably best that I don't.

I vote on talent shows for the fit one, but their aren't any decent ones on Dorothy

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Clive basically says Burnett is guilty with his first comment! Makes key points about shot selection and says there were a number of shots that defied shot selection in that match.

missed it

is there a listen again function ?

and why isnt clive a policeman he would have sorted this marmite out long since so we move on from the same rubbish every bloody year.

Postby Monique

The only thing that bothers me is the focus on Burnett. To me a "doctored" bet on a 9-3 result can only be guaranteed if both are in it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are guilty, only that my opinion is that either they are both guilty or both innocent.
A whitewash result like in the Liand - Ebdon match can be achieved by the loser alone... I'm still nonplussed THAT one was dropped. No television, cubicle situation ... this was - in my opinion - much easier to fix than the Maguire-Burnett match.

Postby Bourne

Just not true, a loser can lose a match emphatically to any level they want. 9-6 say would be a tough way to lose a match if only he was in on it, but a 9-3 can be manufactured that only Burnett was in on it for certain.

Postby Wildey

the one thing i cant get my head around is the stupidity of doing this with the Ebdon v Wenbo match in the hands of the Authority and surely the penny would have dropped that everything was being Checked.

now a simple question are these 2 Scotsmen that thick and simple ??

Postby Monique

wildJONESEYE wrote:the one thing i cant get my head around is the stupidity of doing this with the Ebdon v Wenbo match in the hands of the Authority and surely the penny would have dropped that everything was being Checked.

now a simple question are these 2 Scotsmen that thick and simple ??

Not to mention the whole thing was public well before the match, the match was on television and they knew it would be monitored.
So I don't get it. Going on with it just lookls daft!