Post a reply

SNOOKER: JOHN PARROTT’S RETHINK ON RETIREMENT

Postby Monique

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/vie ... etirement/
JOHN Parrott could pocket snooker’s last ever tour wild card for next season if he makes a U-turn on retirement.

Parrott, the 1991 world champion, called time on his 27-year career after crashing out of the world championship qualifiers last month.

But new World Snooker chairman Barry Hearn is targeting Parrott for his sole discretionary pick for next season, before he ditches the policy. Parrott himself has been having second thoughts, with Hearn confident of launching the sport into a new era.

Parrott said after falling off the tour: “It’s fairly certain that I’ll retire. I wouldn’t want to play any lower down. ”

But his manager, Phil Miller, said: “ If there was a genuine offer of a wild card out there, it might be something for John to think about.”

Personally I don't see the point. He's made no mystery for years that he isn't putting the hours in practice anymore. He could be an asset to the Seniors Tour. But the main tour?

Re: SNOOKER: JOHN PARROTT’S RETHINK ON RETIREMENT

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

I understand your point Mon. As in all wild cards, there is no real set criteria is in place.

If its down to Barry Hearn's discretion, then JP is a shoo' in, in my opinion. I'm sure Barry Hearn will look around & see what other probables/possibles there are. How far he looks around is another thing. :chin:

As said, with no set criteria in place, Barry Hearn will be thinking of a Snooker face from a promotional perspective of the game, & JP fits that bill. Rightly or wrongly, unfortunately.

Re: SNOOKER: JOHN PARROTT’S RETHINK ON RETIREMENT

Postby Wildey

Giving John Parrott a wild card hardly goes with the Barry Hearn stance against mediocrity and very contradicting.

i hate wild cards full stop to play on tour it goes against another criteria Barry has put down "ACHIEVEMENT".