Post a reply

Re: 2010/2011 Calendar Revealed!!!

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:The Worlds should remain on BBC and from the Crucible if possible. Other than that everything else can go to Sky as far as I'm concerned because their coverage will be second to none.

thing is the WC Just might be the leverage to get Sky on board.

Postby Wildey

for me the best thing that can happen to the UK Championship though would be Sky and give it a 2 week run instead of 9 days and give it a 2 table set up similar to the WC.

who knows they might be up for that.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Anyone know anything about the Seniors qualifying taking place this May in Bradford, from an entry perspective? I've googled it but can't find Jack about it.

Postby Wildey

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:Anyone know anything about the Seniors qualifying taking place this May in Bradford, from an entry perspective? I've googled it but can't find Jack about it.

mate when i do ill let you know but i think its 2 early yet dates just been put out.....

Postby Roland

I think this calendar is just a blueprint and needs approval before being confirmed. I've been to the Hotel in question in Bradford on a training day. It's alright, nothing special.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

wildJONESEYE wrote:
JohnFromLondonTown wrote:Anyone know anything about the Seniors qualifying taking place this May in Bradford, from an entry perspective? I've googled it but can't find Jack about it.

mate when i do ill let you know but i think its 2 early yet dates just been put out.....

Good man. <ok>

Postby Wildey

i wander whats the criteria for the senior event.

persanally if its open to past players or getting on a bit amataurs i cant see the point of having Hendry,Davis and White in it as competing main tour players.

Postby Smart

thanks AOP, this bit makes me laugh:

"Shipley can be contacted on 07850-734868 if companies want to sponsor the event as a whole (a five-figure sum), be a frame sponsor, an arena advertising sponsor, a sportsmans’ dinner sponsor or an accommodation sponsor."

Why not go the whole hog and sponsor players travel, or players eating / drinking for the weekend....... sponsor the first toilet break, sponsor the first ball cleaning of the final.

I've a good mind to give him a bell myself, sponsor a frame for say £5. Call it the "Snookerfanatic.com 3rd frame"........

Seniors tours do not interest me, much like watching exhibitions does not really float my boat.

:wave:

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul wrote:

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/s ... d_snooker/

that cant be it

it sais " Seniors World Championship qualifiers "

thats a 8 man event in which John has no hope of participating.

Postby Alex0paul

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/s ... d_snooker/

that cant be it

it sais " Seniors World Championship qualifiers "

thats a 8 man event in which John has no hope of participating.

Well that was from last year so things may have changed. A couple of more names have been contacted according to someone who is helping run it on TSF so I would imagine it would be up to 10/12 players with a couple of qualifying spots.

Postby Wildey

so it safe to say that is it a 8 man event thats been on the cards for donkeys and had jack rubbish to do with barry spin dryer hearn.

Postby Monique

Wild,

If Barry Hearn has worked to gather existing initiatives that were more or less stuck and forgotten, and takes the opportunity to develop them. If things like World Series, Snooker Legends and others are integrated and coordinated into a consistent snooker calendar it can only be good for the game. I can't see what's wrong with that.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:Wild,

If Barry Hearn has worked to gather existing initiatives that were more or less stuck and forgotten, and takes the opportunity to develop them. If things like World Series, Snooker Legends and others are integrated and coordinated into a consistent snooker calendar it can only be good for the game. I can't see what's wrong with that.

nothing wrong if he does it however dressing up a scarecrow to look like marilin monroe wont be good enough if it was gonna happen anyway.

this itinery looks good but talk and spin is cheap now deliver what you say.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:The Worlds should remain on BBC and from the Crucible if possible. Other than that everything else can go to Sky as far as I'm concerned because their coverage will be second to none.

How can we know that, before we've seen it? Do we know how dedicated Sky would be? Would they red button it like the BBC do? How can we possibly tell what their coverage would be like, before we've seen it? Televising something like the Premier League, which fits conveniently into a few hours once a week, doesn't necessarily mean they'll give the coverage the tournaments deserve. This isn't an anti-Sky rant, they can't be worse then Eurosports coverage, I'm just wondering why we can be so sure their coverage will be excellent?

What I will say, maybe selfishly as somebody who only has Virgin Media, and doesn't have Sky Sports, then I'd prefer it to stay on channels that I have. BBC and Eurosport. It'd mean I'd have to shell out extra money for Sky.... If all tournaments were on Sky Sports, channels which not everyone has or can afford, how would this effect viewing figures. But that's just from a selfish standpoint.

Postby Roland

Well with Sky you can guarantee live coverage from several minutes before the first break-off until well after the last handshake and no interruptions apart from commercials for the duration. And it will be in HD.

ITV4 also has the capacity to do this apart from the HD bit.

Postby Wildey

ive never watched anything on ITV 4 Ever its off the beaten track as far as im concerned obviously if theres snooker on there i will watch it but my point its a minority channell that will not atract casual viewers on to it even more so than SKY.

maybe in years to come it will get bigger but at the moment its 4th choice outlet for snooker as far as im concerned behind the Beeb,Sky and Eurosport.

Postby Casey

Snooker on ITV4 would be great imo. They gave excellent coverage to the dart, they give more coverage to the grand slam of darts that the BBC do to the GP

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:Snooker on ITV4 would be great imo. They gave excellent coverage to the dart, they give more coverage to the grand slam of darts that the BBC do to the GP

but poor ratings i dont think they toped a million with anything yet....its a minority channel win minimal viewers.

Postby Wildey

but having re thought about it snooker might just be the shot in the arm ITV 4 is waiting for to increase it fan-base <ok>

Postby Casey

Only for the next 18 months to 2 years though. After that everybody will be on digital and have access to ITV4. As a result ratings on BBC1/2 will fall.

I would also add that I bet ITV4 hasn’t got poor ratings amongst the darts fans.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:Only for the next 18 months to 2 years though. After that everybody will be on digital and have access to ITV4. As a result ratings on BBC1/2 will fall.

I would also add that I bet ITV4 hasn’t got poor ratings amongst the darts fans.

yes but darts is a minority sport snooker would blow their ratings in to another level

Postby Roland

ITV4 is readily available to nearly everyone.

Wild is living in his own universe again here, the one where snooker is the biggest sport on tv.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:ITV4 is readily available to nearly everyone.

Wild is living in his own universe again here, the one where snooker is the biggest sport on tv.

bigger than darts by a country mile i did not say other sports <ok>

less tournaments than Darts yes but more viewers.

Postby Roland

I wish that were true. Could snooker sell out the sort of stadia darts is playing to these days?

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I wish that were true. Could snooker sell out the sort of stadia darts is playing to these days?

easy if you gave them a bar to get snake hissed at while watching.

Postby Wildey

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Sonny wrote:I wish that were true. Could snooker sell out the sort of stadia darts is playing to these days?

easy if you gave them a bar to get snake hissed at while watching.

my cus he lives near frimley green he was up about a month ago and we was chatting about snooker/darts and he said he went with his mate to watch the darts at frimley green and it was a joke if you went there to watch it less than 50% was actually interested in what was happening on stage and even less than that was actually darts fans.