Post a reply

Re: Barry Hearn Statement.

Postby Wildey

Andy Spark wrote:Hearn's statement amounts to an admission of failure to achieve his stated goal of globalising snooker.

Snooker is a great product with a potentially huge global market. However, we need someone in charge that understands the game and how to promote it around the world. In order for snooker to succeed on a global level then first we need to somehow get rid of Hearn; secondly we need to actually give foreign snooker players a fair deal.

They get a very fair deal by Quitting the tour then enter a Micky Mouse event in their back garden and get back on tour.

Postby Andy Spark

Wildey wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:Hearn's statement amounts to an admission of failure to achieve his stated goal of globalising snooker.

Snooker is a great product with a potentially huge global market. However, we need someone in charge that understands the game and how to promote it around the world. In order for snooker to succeed on a global level then first we need to somehow get rid of Hearn; secondly we need to actually give foreign snooker players a fair deal.

They get a very fair deal by Quitting the tour then enter a Micky Mouse event in their back garden and get back on tour.

The World Championship and the Masters is in Britain every year, how is that fair?

We need a long format event in China.

Also how is it fair generally that the cloth speed on pro tables is so much faster than anything that these youngsters have played on in practice? How are these foreign youngsters supposed to develop their touch?

Postby fridge46

I have to disagree with this. Compared to the previous regime, snooker has exploded on a global level.

We have events in Australia, India and Thailand, with more events in China (where the money is).

We have 7 events in Europe, before there were zero. Viewing numbers for snooker on Eurosport are only second to football.

And foreign amateur players get the same deal English amateur players. The routes open to join the tour can be claimed by anyone.

We have seen English and Chinese amateurs claim their spot via the Asian Tour Order of Merit.

Patrick Einsle get his tour card by the EBSA playoffs

And we have seen players from Switzerland and Qatar progress through QSchool.

Under the old system, they could only get a spot through their continental championships or by playing events in Pontins!! Now they can claim spots in their own country!

If anything, the current calendar is unfair to English amateur players. There are no longer PTCs in England - they have to travel to the likes of Portugal, Bulgaria and Asia to have their shot to facing a "Pro" (and despite this, the top 24 players on the EBSA tour play off rankings were based in UK/Ireland!)

Granted, QSchool is in England, but starting next year, the number of tickets available might drop as there will be QSchool events will be held in every continent.

Postby fridge46

Andy Spark wrote:The World Championship and the Masters is in Britain every year, how is that fair?

Also how is it fair generally that the cloth speed on pro tables is so much faster than anything that these youngsters have played on in practice? How are these foreign youngsters supposed to develop their touch?

How was it fair that while Britain got 3 rankings events (WC, UK, Wales), China got 9 (Wuxi, Shanghai, International, Haikou, Beijing plus 4 PTCs)!

Furthermore, the International Championship is the second longest format tournament on the calendar!!
Last edited by fridge46 on 02 May 2015, edited 2 times in total.

Postby fridge46

And I forgot to mention Wild Cards.

The best Chinese, Australia and Indian amateurs get to play Pros in front of tv cameras. The only way an English player can achieve this is at the UK Championships as a top up player (if they arent shoved in the cubicles!)

Postby Andy Spark

fridge46 wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:The World Championship and the Masters is in Britain every year, how is that fair?

How was it fair that while Britain got 3 rankings events (WC, UK, Wales), China got 9 (Wuxi, Shanghai, International, Haikou, Beijing plus 4 PTCs)!

Furthermore, the International Championship is the second longest format tournament on the calendar!!

I don't think that having loads of similar ranking events overseas is the answer really. What I mean is at the moment the three greatest events (historically speaking), the "triple crown" events are all in England! What about a genuinely global four BIG major event system incorporating the recently inaugurated international! Something like...

1. UK Championship (ranker) in UK. All rounds best of 17
2. World Championship (ranker) in China. current format
3. Masters (non-ranker) keep in UK, for the moment. current format, best of 11
4. German International (ranker) in Germany. All rounds best of 17

Every other tour event, best of 7's (all rounds).

Postby Wildey

Andy Spark wrote:
Wildey wrote:

The World Championship and the Masters is in Britain every year, how is that fair?

thats up to china .

in the press conference Barry Hearn challenged china to get their own version of the World Championship off the ground.

Postby fridge46

Andy Spark wrote:I don't think that having loads of similar ranking events overseas is the answer really. What I mean is at the moment the three greatest events (historically speaking), the "triple crown" events are all in England! What about a genuinely global four BIG major event system incorporating the recently inaugurated international! Something like...

1. UK Championship (ranker) in UK. All rounds best of 17
2. World Championship (ranker) in China. current format
3. Masters (non-ranker) keep in UK, for the moment. current format, best of 11
4. German International (ranker) in Germany. All rounds best of 17

Every other tour event, best of 7's (all rounds).

Do you think if any of the "triple crown" events were in China they would be as successful or historical?

China its own rankings events - 5 of them at one point has I have highlighted previously. China should focus its efforts on ensure these events are successful, that way China can write its own history - not steal someone else's! EDIT: Wildey has already mentioned this point.

And let me a question here - Would China want the World Championship if it wasnt called the World Championship? Lets say it was called the "United Kingdom Masters" but has the same format, prize money, history, success and prestige as the current WC - would China want it then?

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
thats up to china .

in the press conference Barry Hearn challenged china to get their own version of the World Championship off the ground.

That was the part I enjoyed the most in the whole press conference.

The chinese reporter couldn't stop asking why if it's a World Champs it always stays in the same place.

Well in Tennis they also dont move Wimbledon do they? And then the reporter said it's diferent because they have 4 Majors, so Hearn's reply was adequate: You can create your own kind of Grand Slam, or something like this.

They need to upgrade the events they have in China, so yeah like Hearn says maybe the IC is the best one where a longer format would suit better. They already have it, longer than the UK Champs at least, so yeah they need to focus on their own tournaments, and not the established ones in the UK.

Postby kolompar

I agree with Andy Spark, I wouldn't say we have to get rid of Hearn, but really, replacing the European Tour with the Home Series? <doh>

Postby fridge46

kolompar wrote:replacing the European Tour with the Home Series? <doh>

I dont think thats true at all. Sure, come 2016/17 there will be 1-3 less European Tour "PTC" events, but there will be an addition full ranker in Europe - the European Open (probably the same format/prize money as the Welsh Open/German Masters, or might be even more say to the level of the UK or International Championship - time will tell).

By 2017/18, I believe the only "PTC" European events that will take place are those that have current contracts. Other tournaments will either not be held, or be upgraded to full ranker status.

So organisers/sponsors of these events have a choice: Up prize money from €125,000 to around €400,000 (aprox. £300,000 - same as Welsh Open), or not have the event at all!

Barry did say that when PTCs started that they are a short term thing. I think Barrys plan for 2017/18 and beyond is to have 4 full ranking events in Europe, rather than 1 plus 6 "PTCs". So yes, there will be less events in Europe, but more full rankers.

EDIT: Direct quote from Hearns press conference (10:34 onwards):

"We will also in 2016 create the European Open - as we will be doing less of the smaller European Tour events and concentrating on bigger ranking events. The European Open will be an event that will move throughout Europe - as its name suggests."

So Barry says himself that European Tour events will continue and not be removed.

Postby Wildey

kolompar wrote:I agree with Andy Spark, I wouldn't say we have to get rid of Hearn, but really, replacing the European Tour with the Home Series? <doh>

its not replacing at all

in 2016/2017 you will have 15 Main Ranking events that includes World Grand Prix and PTC GF and about 3 European Tour Events.

The Fact that he even wants to Create the Home series is positive. there must be interest from British TV Companies or he wouldn't even bother because i was under the impression Snooker in the UK was dead this news tells me its not.