Post a reply

Re: snooker tournament and dress shake up

Postby Monique

wildJONESEYE wrote:monique

lets get the ranking structure straight first without talking of some daft ideas im genunly worried his brain is running away with him that he is forgetting whats important or not.

i want ranking tournaments to be a family ocation back stage where its not most of the time if you got a family of 4 visiting a snooker town ie telford maybe the father or mother is a snooker fan but they wont go because theres nothing for the kids to do if say father in watching then the mother with kids then swap over.

ive been to telford 3 times once for the GP and twice for the UK its hopeless But it was the closest venue to me and that was 3 hours in a car.

Well wild, that's exactly my point although I think we should start with non ranking events, for several reasons:

1. They are a lot cheaper to organise because you don't need the qualification stage, that isn't visible but does cost a lot.
2. Players will feel more relaxed and hence be ready for more interactions, on and off the table, will give the audience more of a show.
3. You don't need to be that strict with the audience behaviours as what is at stake is not vital for the players career.

Why this obsession with ranking events really?

Postby Wildey

agree that what the whole tour in the 80s was build on Non Ranking tournaments and it is frustrating when fans dont see how important they are.

during the masters there was some actually saying it was less important than the Welsh Open because it wasn't ranking <doh>

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:monique

lets get the ranking structure straight first without talking of some daft ideas im genunly worried his brain is running away with him that he is forgetting whats important or not.

i want ranking tournaments to be a family ocation back stage where its not most of the time if you got a family of 4 visiting a snooker town ie telford maybe the father or mother is a snooker fan but they wont go because theres nothing for the kids to do if say father in watching then the mother with kids then swap over.

ive been to telford 3 times once for the GP and twice for the UK its hopeless But it was the closest venue to me and that was 3 hours in a car.

Well wild, that's exactly my point although I think we should start with non ranking events, for several reasons:

1. They are a lot cheaper to organise because you don't need the qualification stage, that isn't visible but does cost a lot.
2. Players will feel more relaxed and hence be ready for more interactions, on and off the table, will give the audience more of a show.
3. You don't need to be that strict with the audience behaviours as what is at stake is not vital for the players career.

Why this obsession with ranking events really?

You've got to have some, though surely. Otherwise ranking positions would be all but frozen, and somebody could do well in a load of non-rankers, whereas somebody who won one ranking event would shoot up position-wise.

Postby Monique

Of course you need some. But even in the 90th there were never more than 10. If next season we have 7, with an additional one in Berlin as planned, that would be fine for a start.
But I'd really love to see the Welsh revamped and made attractive and profitable again and the Irish Masters revived (snooker rocks in Ireland) and maybe another invitational in mainland Europe.

Postby SnookerFan

What was everybodies big problem with the Welsh Open? Okay, it's not one of the majors, but it seems to get a lot of flack that the China Open and Shanghai Masters don't. When I went to the Welsh Open, I actually really enjoyed it. In a way, more so then I did at Telford.

Postby Monique

SnookerFan wrote:What was everybodies big problem with the Welsh Open? Okay, it's not one of the majors, but it seems to get a lot of flack that the China Open and Shanghai Masters don't. When I went to the Welsh Open, I actually really enjoyed it. In a way, more so then I did at Telford.

The problem is that it has been losing money for years. This season it had a sponsor for the first time in years and that's very positive. As I said you can't live on thin air and fresh water. The venues managers can't afford the losses. So it has to be made profitable to survive. And I really hope it does because the Welsh they love their snooker!!! look at Wild ;)

Postby Monique

rocket_ron wrote:my opinion is that all tourneys except masters should hold ranking points

Why?

The problem with that and the current ranking system is that it implies that you have qualifiers organised OR that all 96 players get to play in it. One way or another it's extremely costly and it's unlikely you will have the first rounds broadcasted on telly or that big crowds will turn up to see two unknow low ranked players.
This could only work sustainanly with a reduced main tour, but that has other drawbacks and would be terrible for all those guys who are now in the mid rankings and have devoted so many years to their sport.

Postby Rocket_ron

Monique wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:my opinion is that all tourneys except masters should hold ranking points

Why?

The problem with that and the current ranking system is that it implies that you have qualifiers organised OR that all 96 players get to play in it. One way or another it's extremely costly and it's unlikely you will have the first rounds broadcasted on telly or that big crowds will turn up to see two unknow low ranked players.
This could only work sustainanly with a reduced main tour, but that has other drawbacks and would be terrible for all those guys who are now in the mid rankings and have devoted so many years to their sport.

because i dont think its fair to have a shed load of invitation events where ranks 17-96 cant play

Postby Wildey

well you do need more Rankings to start with but the maximum snooker ever had is 10 in 1 season in no more than 3 or 4 seasons others got to be invitationals.

Postby Monique

rocket_ron wrote:
Monique wrote:

Why?

because i dont think its fair to have a shed load of invitation events where ranks 17-96 cant play

The last Irish Masters in Kilkenny was not reduced to the top 16. It was a mixture of top players (9 of them), Jimmy White and the local boys and it worked fine.
You could have senior invitationals, "young players invitationals", team and mixed events.
Of course, probably the lowest ranked players will rarely be invited except if they are great prospects, local heroes or past legends. But similarly people will not turn up and pay to see them play in rankers neither. And they don't make any money in the lowest stages anyway, so in fact it costs them.

Postby Smart

rocket_ron wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:Barry Hearn im afraid is coming over as a clueless Moron that is Totally out of Tune with What the Problems are in the sport.

his ideas if we believe whats written is to make it a fairground circus sort thing like WWF Wrestling is.

that has no credibility as a sport and some of these ideas will turn people off and not on.

obviously we dont know if its all talk or not but my sugestion to Barry Hearn is quite clear SHUT THE buck UP YOUR TALKING CRAP

hows this got past the swear filter?

<laugh> rofl <laugh> rofl