Post a reply

Re: World Championship to Stay at the Crucible Until 2017

Postby Cloud Strife

They should consider expanding the Crucible because 950 seats isn't enough. I'd go as far as to say maybe they should think about knocking the whole building down and rebuilding something bigger and more modern in its place.

They can hold the tournament in China in the meantime whilst this new facility gets built. This would also give the powers that be an opportunity to see just how popular snooker really is in China, I think those guys definitely deserve a shot.

Think about all the money that is being left on the table by staging snooker's biggest event at the tiny Crucible. Change is needed, change is imminent and I for one will be fully embracing it.

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:They should consider expanding the Crucible because 950 seats isn't enough. I'd go as far as to say maybe they should think about knocking the whole building down and rebuilding something bigger and more modern in its place.

They can hold the tournament in China in the meantime whilst this new facility gets built. This would also give the powers that be an opportunity to see just how popular snooker really is in China, I think those guys definitely deserve a shot.

Think about all the money that is being left on the table by staging snooker's biggest event at the tiny Crucible. Change is needed, change is imminent and I for one will be fully embracing it.

Yes i think a bigger place is needed however im not stupid enough to think you can re create the atmosphere and what the World Championship is in any old venue just because its bigger.

Some of the chinese venues they play in today are Massive compared to the Crucible but there's no atmosphere in there because they are too big and the Audience are too far away.

Yes they need to think ahead and re locate to a bigger venue but only when that venue is right.

The Only Two venue ive ever seen that they could use was The Wembley Conference Center which is demolished and the Other is the Tempodrom in Berlin.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:They should consider expanding the Crucible because 950 seats isn't enough. I'd go as far as to say maybe they should think about knocking the whole building down and rebuilding something bigger and more modern in its place.

Yes i think a bigger place is needed however im not stupid enough to think you can re create the atmosphere and what the World Championship is in any old venue just because its bigger.

Some of the chinese venues they play in today are Massive compared to the Crucible but there's no atmosphere in there because they are too big and the Audience are too far away.

Yes they need to think ahead and re locate to a bigger venue but only when that venue is right.

The Only Two venue ive ever seen that they could use was The Wembley Conference Center which is demolished and the Other is the Tempodrom in Berlin.

Yes Wild couldnt't agree more. The Chinese venues don't have that intimate atmosphere that places like those you said have. They should only relocate when they definately find a perfect venue for it, because after all this is our biggest tournament so definately needs to have a very good venue to host it. Money isn't everything in this world, despite the chinese thinking otherwise.

Postby shankly

It'll be a sad day when the World Champs isn't played at the Crucible, like Wimbledon not being played at Wimbledon. Sometimes everything just fits, and with a calendar of nondescript tournaments and venues, the Crucible remains unique and... quintessentially snooker. I've watched live snooker in a bunch of venues and it's still the best one for me. But perhaps that's just me being a romantic old fart who doesn't like change.

However I agree it's probably getting too small for snooker now; something like the Tempodrom would be perfect but it's in the wrong country. China is important to the game, yes, but frankly they haven't earned the World Champs and the crowd turnouts are embarrassing. The Worlds should stay in the UK, and that's not me being biased or anything because I'm not even English.

Postby Andy Spark

This is bad news for the game. The world championship should move to China, they've built a replica Crucible over there in readiness and already frustrated fans are defecting to pool as their disillusionment grows with the so called "globalisation" of snooker.

And who can blame foreign fans for becoming disillusioned, Hearn said his priority was globalisation of the game! He is right, the priority should be globalisation, but how can you really globalise the game when all three triple crown events are still played in England, the deck is stacked against the foreigners and Hearn knows it, however, his real aim (as an Englishman) is to keep the power over here and with him.

Postby Wildey

Andy Spark wrote:This is bad news for the game. The world championship should move to China, they've built a replica Crucible over there in readiness and already frustrated fans are defecting to pool as their disillusionment grows with the so called "globalisation" of snooker.

And who can blame foreign fans for becoming disillusioned, Hearn said his priority was globalisation of the game! He is right, the priority should be globalisation, but how can you really globalise the game when all three triple crown events are still played in England, the deck is stacked against the foreigners and Hearn knows it, however, his real aim (as an Englishman) is to keep the power over here and with him.

No matter where the game is played hearn has all the power in the World.

its a massive gamble moving from sheffield and im sure a gamble Hearn would take if its the right thing to do

Postby GreenRiver

I might be in the minority here but I'm of the opinion that the WORLD Championship should be played all over the world - not in the same venue each year. The soccer world cup isn't held in the same place each time nor is the Olympic games - why should the snooker world championship? Also, playing in different exotic locations could add to the lustre of the tournament. Muhammad Ali's famous fights "The Rumble in the Jungle" and "The Thrilla in Manila" would not have been as memorable if they had been "The Rumble in Sheffield" and "The Thrilla in Coventry". If snooker is ever to become a truly global sport, it needs to rotate the venue of the World Championship, in my opinion. Is it fair on snooker fans from other parts of the world to never be able to attend a World Championship snooker match because Sheffield has been hogging it for 40 years with no end in sight?

Postby Andre147

GreenRiver wrote:I might be in the minority here but I'm of the opinion that the WORLD Championship should be played all over the world - not in the same venue each year. The soccer world cup isn't held in the same place each time nor is the Olympic games - why should the snooker world championship? Also, playing in different exotic locations could add to the lustre of the tournament. Muhammad Ali's famous fights "The Rumble in the Jungle" and "The Thrilla in Manila" would not have been as memorable if they had been "The Rumble in Sheffield" and "The Thrilla in Coventry". If snooker is ever to become a truly global sport, it needs to rotate the venue of the World Championship, in my opinion. Is it fair on snooker fans from other parts of the world to never be able to attend a World Championship snooker match because Sheffield has been hogging it for 40 years with no end in sight?

Tennis is a global sport mate and it's much worse in Tennis, with the Majors, Wimbledon, US Open, Australian Open and Roland Garros all played at same venue for god knows how long, almost 100 years!

It adds to the prestige of the event. I'm from Portugal, and dont get me wrong I would love if the World Champs were held here or another emerging European country like Germany, but I think it's the right decision to have it in Sheffield. If it were up to me it would forever stay at the Crucible, and that's coming from a massive fan of Snooker who lives 4 countries away from England.

I want to be there at Crucible one day, hopefully soon because we dont know if after 2017 the contract will be renewed.

I get your point, World Champs and all that should be played all over the World, but like I said Tennis in that aspect is much "worse" and it aint because of that their Majors lose prestige, quite the opposite. Same happens with the Crucible in Sheffield, it breaths Snooker so I hope it remains there for as long as possible.

Postby AC or LT?

It's the best placed for it to be played.

It's the same as Wimbledon or the London Marathon - they have to be at the same venue year in year out. Yes by all means move over events around like the World Grand Prix and the World Open, but the crucible just works for the World Championship.

Postby GreenRiver

Andre147 wrote:Tennis is a global sport mate and it's much worse in Tennis, with the Majors, Wimbledon, US Open, Australian Open and Roland Garros all played at same venue for god knows how long, almost 100 years!

It adds to the prestige of the event. I'm from Portugal, and dont get me wrong I would love if the World Champs were held here or another emerging European country like Germany, but I think it's the right decision to have it in Sheffield. If it were up to me it would forever stay at the Crucible, and that's coming from a massive fan of Snooker who lives 4 countries away from England.

I want to be there at Crucible one day, hopefully soon because we dont know if after 2017 the contract will be renewed.

I get your point, World Champs and all that should be played all over the World, but like I said Tennis in that aspect is much "worse" and it aint because of that their Majors lose prestige, quite the opposite. Same happens with the Crucible in Sheffield, it breaths Snooker so I hope it remains there for as long as possible.

Hey Andre,

Thats an interesting perspective. I've never been a tennis fan so it is a sport I tend to overlook, but there are a couple of things I would say:

1) Unlike snooker (and most sports), tennis does not have one big tournament that stands head and shoulders above the others. It has been known for tennis fans to argue about which of the slams is the most prestigious. In snooker there is no debate - the World Championship is on a different level to all other tournaments.

2) The 4 tennis majors are played in 4 different countries across 3 different continents. By contrast, all 3 triple crown events in Snooker are played in the same country - the UK. I suppose the UK Championship would have to be played in the UK, because it is called the UK Championship, but how would you feel about the Masters being played in a different country?

Also, what is it exactly that you think is special about the Crucible (I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just interested to hear your opinion). Is it the physical layout, the atmosphere, the history or something else?

The final thing I would say for now is that it is worth remembering that the Snooker World Championship has not always been held in the UK. Ray Reardon won one of his World titles in Australia, for instance, so having the World Championship in a different country is not without precedent.

Postby Wildey

I Agree with what you say in some respect however there is a danger with that.

The atmosphere the Crucible generates cant be replicated in every venue.

if you going to do that it has to be on a trial basis and if it fails the option to take it back to Sheffield is still open.