Post a reply

We need more men (with a cue ;) )

Postby Monique

http://www.worldsnooker.com/news-133038.htm?
Evans Aims To Finish Season In Style
Despite being the undisputed women’s world number one, Reanne Evans still felt she had a point to prove at the Six Reds World Championship in Killarney, Ireland, last December.

The 24-year-old turned over world champion John Higgins 4-3 in the group stages. And she wrapped up the decider with a 51 break.

“I just wanted to show that I can hold a cue,” said the five-time WLBSA world champion.

“I was thrilled to be asked to play in the six reds in Ireland and I was looking forward to it even more when people told me who was in my group.

“Although John had just lost - to a woman - he was the first to say ‘well done’ and ‘well played’. That was nice to hear from one of the best players ever.”

Mother-of-one Evans, from Dudley, West Midlands has chalked up 57 straight wins on the WLBSA circuit and has claimed all five of this season’s ranking tournaments plus the invitation-only Wytech Masters.

“This season has gone well in ladies’ events,” she admitted.

“I just hope I can keep it going for the world championship because it’s the main event. I’d like to win it for the sixth time in a row. People always remember who won the World Championship.

“There are a few English rivals such as Maria (Catalano, Ronnie O’Sullivan’s cousin) but also a few from India and China.”

Evans will also be hoping to retain the mixed doubles title she won with Michael Holt last season and Neil Robertson in 2008. And she revealed that some of the world’s best women snooker players desperately need a man (with a cue).

“I love playing in the mixed doubles,” she said. “It brings another dimension to the game. It’s a little less serious so we can have more fun, and it’s also nice to play with, and against, the professional men. You get to see the quality needed to make it.

“We get a good turnout with the likes of (Joe) Perry, Holt and (Stuart) Bingham but it would be good if there was more interest from the pros to give more women a partner.”

The WLBSA World Mixed Pairs will be held on Tuesday, April 6, during the women’s World Championship at Cambridge Snooker Centre.

Please could interested players contact World Ladies Billiards & Snooker Association chairman Mandy Fisher at worldladiessnooker@ntlworld.com or ring 01945 589589 or 07801 432663

So guys? Who's up for it?

Re: We need more men (with a cue ;) )

Postby Wildey

i think a mixed doubles tournament is something Barry Hearn should look at to give some hope for the women that they aren't forgotten about. reane is a proven player at the lower ranks but she needs more experience of playing with top pros that a mixed doubles tournament would give them.

Reane and Ronnie v Catalano and Allen jesus think of the tension in that 1 lol