Post a reply

Re: Steve Davis to get a tour wildcard?

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Take a look at this then
http://www.inside-snooker.com/snooker/? ... =off-table

i hope thats the case and i wouldnt have a problem if ex champions are invited to play as Wild Cards for the World Championship only but not as tour players unless they earn it by winning matches like everyone else.

Postby Wildey

Lucky wrote:I'd say Hearn knows what he's doing. The general public at this time have no clue who the players are today. Even on question of sport, a full front face photo or video of top 16 players are rarely recognised correctly. And on pointless they asked 100 people to name players out of last years worlds. Ronnie was top with 40 odd percent, then Higgins with 20 odd......then it was down to single figures! Even Robbo only got 8% and he's world number one!

Obviously game shows aren't anything like a reliable indicator. But it shows how snooker has sank in peoples radar.

last thing that should happen then giving players like Davis and Hendry the time of day and spend more time promoting new players so that the general public gets to know them..

it doesent happen by magic.

Postby snooker_loopy

Steve is a total legend of snooker and seems a really nice guy too but, with due respect, he no longer plays to a decent pro standard so if he were to get a wild card the chances are he'd lose in the first round of most tournaments. Same would be true of Jimmy White (Jimmy is still on the main tour, of course, but not reaching the latter stages of any tournaments).

Players should be at events based on current wins, not on past success. It's fairer that way. The sport has to look forward, not look back.