Post a reply

Re: Ronnie to have own snooker show on Eurosport

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Cloud Strife wrote:
Ayrshirebhoy wrote:
edwards2000 wrote:The "school fees" thing is a complete nonsense. I don't know why he says it, but it simply isn't true. When he deliberately left the black on the 147 attempt, he was adamant that money did not come into it, and that he lives on a budget despite his wealth.

I think people take what O'Sullivan says far too seriously. The guy is mixed up and changes what he means and thinks on a whim and from day to day. The whole school fee thing is total bullocks. He certainly doesn't realize how silly it makes him look, or he'd stop doing it.

Unless the school fees are in excess of 200,000 pounds, there's no way he is strapped for cash.

Ronnie just can't do no wrong in your eyes eh? To the point where you can read his mind and know his motives for everything. Have a reality check for Christ sake, you write like a lunatic.

Ayrshirebhoy, please chill out a little, will you. As Edwards said, a lot of what Ronnie comes out with sometimes is complete nonsense and doesn't reflect well on him as a person.

It's just a pity so many people take these said comments so seriously and personally.

Another mind reader lol you guys are wasted on here.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I enjoyed it as well. Ronnie looks so relaxed these days. Interview with Robbo was great.
I wonder what other players Ronnie will interview. Ding would be great. Wonder if he'll interview Selby...

Postby Andre147

Holden Chinaski wrote:I enjoyed it as well. Ronnie looks so relaxed these days. Interview with Robbo was great.
I wonder what other players Ronnie will interview. Ding would be great. Wonder if he'll interview Selby...

Not a chance with a Selby, although having said that and despite calling him "The Torturer" he does respect his game and effort he puts in winning many of his matches from behind.

I think next episode he'll be with the younger lads on the circuit, that preview heavily hinted that, as well as previewing the defense of his World Title.

Postby Roland

Just watched it, it was good. My favourite part was him talking about the 147 at Newport. The 2nd to last red was quality and the last one it turns out he was playing to an area so actually got a bit lucky with where it landed in terms of how much the shot was talked about as if he knew it was feeding between pink and black to land mm perfect.

Postby Andy Spark

Sonny wrote:Just watched it, it was good. My favourite part was him talking about the 147 at Newport. The 2nd to last red was quality and the last one it turns out he was playing to an area so actually got a bit lucky with where it landed in terms of how much the shot was talked about as if he knew it was feeding between pink and black to land mm perfect.

He also said he wasn't thinking about the 147 until he was on about 48. Hmm...I'm not entirely convinced, so many great thoughts at this level are subconscious, you just "feel" stuff. I reckon subconsciously he began thinking about the possibility of a 147 after about two shots. Also, I reckon subconsciously Ronnie knew the line was roughly between pink and black on that last red if he got the roughly anticipated level of screw action. Maybe Ronnie was being a bit modest, certainly I believe Ronnie is one of those that "feels" stuff rather than "thinks" stuff. :-)

Postby Andre147

Lucky wrote:The lieing bastard. Thank buck we've got you to tell us what he was really thinking.

<doh> rofl :wave: Does it really matter if he was thinking about the maxi or not? It doesn't, what matters is he got that wonderful 147 to win the tournament no less. I bet some like you wish he hadn't got that 147, but he did so :wave:

Postby Andy Spark

Lucky wrote:The lieing bastard. Thank buck we've got you to tell us what he was really thinking.

Thanks, but he wasn't really telling falsehoods and he isn't a "bastard"; he was just speaking from a recollection of his conscious mind. For more information about the mental ideas I would recommend the book "bounce" by Syed. Syed goes into details about the real nature of sporting decision making at the top level and how the principles of "combinatorial explosion" prohibit the conscious mind from really engaging in the majority of the thought process.

Postby Dan-cat

Andy Spark wrote:Thanks, but he wasn't really telling falsehoods and he isn't a "bastard"; he was just speaking from a recollection of his conscious mind. For more information about the mental ideas I would recommend the book "bounce" by Syed. Syed goes into details about the real nature of sporting decision making at the top level and how the principles of "combinatorial explosion" prohibit the conscious mind from really engaging in the majority of the thought process.

This is fascinating.

Last Friday I was playing at the club, a best of 7 against someone with whom I'm pretty evenly matched. In fact I've been on the wrong side of several close best of sevens with him recently. I played lousy in the first frame, which I lost on the pink. I took myself off to wash my hands and had a word with myself in the mirror, telling myself to slow down, take my time, it will come. And it did.

The second frame I killed off 75-6 in two scoring visits. It was quite a surprise. Probably the best I have ever played. I kept my head down, feathered the cue ball a couple more times than usual, stayed still on the stroke, pushed the cue through in a straight line… and they all started going in. I had the cue ball on a string. I don’t know where it came from – I was in an almost trance-like state. I just knew I wouldn’t miss. I went on to win 4 - 1. He didn't get a look in.

I did do a super intensive circuit training immediately before. Think I'll try that again this Friday :-D

Postby Andre147

Good for you Dan.

A large part of playing Snooker is on the mind and how much we let bad things get in our head. Clearly that mirror process worked for you. <ok>

Postby Roland

I play my best when in a trance like state and thinking of nothing. Problem is it's too hard to do deliberately, I just find myself in that frame of mind occasionally and that's when I play care free and pot everything I look at.

I saw a clip of myself playing and saw that I rush shots and lift my head before I hit the ball, so I made a conscious effort to do the following:

Stay down on the shot
Look at the cue ball more
Look at the object ball where I want to hit it
Swing free

And the result of self coaching is that I ended up playing the worst snooker I've played for years because I was thinking about too much and was too aware of what I was doing.

Going back to Ronnie, there was an element of luck about how he managed to get so close to the last black because and inch either side and he wouldn't have had such an easy pot with position to yellow but that doesn't mean it wasn't a great shot. And as he said the green was a great pressure shot, one you wouldn't expect him to miss but played with drag to swing the white close to yellow pocket and land nicely on the brown could've gone so wrong.

Postby Andy Spark

Dan-cat wrote:He had me until the jim davidson bit.
Yes! Jim Davidson and Ronnie doing big break together! While I speak I'm sure some bright spark on channel 5 is considering making the pilot, they should include the politically incorrect banter between them too! <ok>

Postby Dan-cat

Sonny wrote:I play my best when in a trance like state and thinking of nothing. Problem is it's too hard to do deliberately, I just find myself in that frame of mind occasionally and that's when I play care free and pot everything I look at.

I saw a clip of myself playing and saw that I rush shots and lift my head before I hit the ball, so I made a conscious effort to do the following:

Stay down on the shot
Look at the cue ball more
Look at the object ball where I want to hit it
Swing free

And the result of self coaching is that I ended up playing the worst snooker I've played for years because I was thinking about too much and was too aware of what I was doing.

Going back to Ronnie, there was an element of luck about how he managed to get so close to the last black because and inch either side and he wouldn't have had such an easy pot with position to yellow but that doesn't mean it wasn't a great shot. And as he said the green was a great pressure shot, one you wouldn't expect him to miss but played with drag to swing the white close to yellow pocket and land nicely on the brown could've gone so wrong.

Sonny, I've been there! I had a break of 20 years playing regularly, just started properly again in the last 5 months. I couldn't pot a thing at first, so I tried to deconstruct my cue action and pre-shot prep and stance all that. It got even worse. I nearly quit. And then it just clicked again and I started potting balls.

One of the most fascinating insights for me in the Ronnie show was when he was talking about playing on more than one ball - playing on an area with several reds/colours to give you options. If even Ronnie says 'I went back to the practice table and tried playing on only one ball and it made snooker impossible' then how the hell can I expect to make big breaks like that.

Tactically and shot-selection wise I'm way better now than when I was 20, and that's because I've watched ALL the snooker since then - and I mean all!

Excited to be back in the club tomorrow to make my first 50 break since I started playing again hehe :-D

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Here's also Ronnie's first post on his new eurosport snooker blog:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/ron ... 29974.html

And here's his second:

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/ro ... 23394.html

What do you all think?

I do think he speaks a lot of sense there, and the Tennis and Golf examples are good ones, but Snooker as we all know isn't in that level of recognision as those 2 sports are.

But so far I've enjoyed reading this new eurosport blog from Ronnie.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Here's also Ronnie's first post on his new eurosport snooker blog:

And here's his second:

What do you all think?

I do think he speaks a lot of sense there, and the Tennis and Golf examples are good ones, but Snooker as we all know isn't in that level of recognision as those 2 sports are.

Yeah, I thought he spoke alot of sense there. Especially, in regards to prize money for the lower ranked players and top players having to qualify for venues.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:

And here's his second:

What do you all think?

Yeah, I thought he spoke alot of sense there. Especially, in regards to prize money for the lower ranked players and top players having to qualify for venues.

Yes those 2 are the points that standout the most, you don't see that in other sports yet it happens in Snooker.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:

And here's his second:

What do you all think?

Yes those 2 are the points that standout the most, you don't see that in other sports yet it happens in Snooker.

They're two things that will have to change if snooker is to be taken seriously in the long term.

Postby Sickpotter

Interesting Ronnie commenting on the payouts being top heavy.

Personally I see that as incentive to improve but I sympathize with lower ranked players who can't afford the costs.

I wonder what Ronnie or the other top players would be willing to give up in order to have the lower ranked players guaranteed expenses? Would they be willing to half the winners purse so non-performers can make a living?

If Ronnie is serious about helping the lower ranked players out perhaps he should consider forming a stable like Hearn and Doyle. They covered all expenses from the moment players joined their stable, that's the kind of financial support new players should seek.

Postby snooky147

Never thought I would say this but he spoke a lot of sense concerning the prize money or the lack of for first round losers. Something I have been going on about all season.

Postby Sickpotter

I see no reason why any event should be paying first round losers.

Sponsorship or join a stable to have your basic expenses covered, don't expect tournaments to provide an income if you don't win a match.

Postby Roland

It would be nice if first round losers got a token amount given it's their livelihood, although if you give them say £500 and nothing on the prize money list, even that would cost £32,000 so you can see why they wouldn't.

At the end of the day the pros have to pay entry fees so from that alone it wouldn't make sense to give them more than the entry fee if they go out in round 1.