Post a reply

Re: Stephen Lee - 12 year ban for match fixing

Postby snooker_loopy

"need a big hole to fit him in it"

:chuckle:

Innocent or guilty, his snooker career is over. He's screwed up big time. Other players will look at what's happened to Lee and think twice before considering any dodgy match fixing. That is the only positive thing to come out of this, I guess.

Postby cozmo smalls

Its car crash TV. As someone from Lee's part of the UK I have found the playout of this melodrama quite fascinating and I, for one, think that Stephen Lee's EVENTUAL and final disappearance from the snooker scene will only be a good thing. I have no in depth experience of people from other parts of the country but this behaviour is not surprising to me. The extent of the denial is surprising. Even in the extremely unlikely case that Lee is innocent I am amazed that he cannot see that the law is the law and not an occassion where you are sent to the headmasters office and if you shout loud enough the same weak argument the headmaster might get tired and let you off. It beggars belief. The way he is reacting on Facebook is also incredible. He is turning a serious career mishap into something that is going to completely ruin his life - and he thinks that preaching to similarly deluded sycophants is going to provide long term succour. Noone is going to publish this book. If Hearn starts to take these ridiculous threats seriously then Lee is going to be buried. Clearly Lee is heading for bankruptcy and hopefully for his sake and the sake of his family he can begin to approach life having learnt a lesson and find something useful to do. It seems as though what he really, really, really wants to say is 'why have I had my life ruined when there are others doing the same'. The fact of the matter is that he had the stupidity to corroborate with people who seemingly don't have the ability to organise a pee up in a brewery let alone a way of committing betting fraud without getting caught. I would suggest that if there are other snooker players 'at it' they are probably a little more canny about it. I think that the best bet for Stephen Lee would be to get Nick Frost and Simon Pegg to put together a comedy about this - no prizes for who in the title role. I can't think of many people who have made themselves look more foolish, more consistently in the public eye in the past 20 years. Paul Gascoigne probably. The Stephen Lee facebook show is hilarious. I witnessed the cue sale in real time. If anyone says anything negative then they get swiftly dealt with. I would like to think that if i was in a similar situation then my true friends would tell it to me how it is and encourage me to pick up the pieces and move forward with some dignity. How anyone could read the official documents related to this case and not come to the conclusion that Lee has behaved like a complete buffoon from beginning to end is beyond me.

Postby Filioque

Can someone please explain to me one thing - if the evidence against Lee was so overwhelming, why was the criminal prosecution dropped? I'm not saying he's innocent, but this looks like snooker authorities are mainly striving to appease their (incidentally) chief sponsors - bookmakers.

Postby Roland

Because they were allowed to use the balance of probabilities the criminal prosecution couldn't. Nothing could be proved outright in a court of law but it was fairly obvious what was going on when studying the evidence.

Postby Wildey

Filioque wrote:Thanks, I suspected as much. This double standard practice seems dodgy to me, but the one thing I despise even more is stupidity - and it seems like Lee is guilty of that in spades. Oh well.

Stephen Lee should be grateful that a CPS Couldn't use the balance of probabilities or he would be banged up as well.

Postby Andy Spark

Another fine, this time a criminal one, £1,800
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/others ... ng-it.html
This man should be locked up, otherwise he will just carry on breaking law after law.

Alex Higgins always used to be the quintessential rule breaker in snooker, but while Alex had an intelligence that could play cheekily with rules and contractual obligation in life, Stephen has a stupidity that simply ignores contracts.

Postby Andre147

Andy Spark wrote:Another fine, this time a criminal one, £1,800
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/others ... ng-it.html
This man should be locked up, otherwise he will just carry on breaking law after law.

Alex Higgins always used to be the quintessential rule breaker in snooker, but while Alex had an intelligence that could play cheekily with rules and contractual obligation in life, Stephen has a stupidity that simply ignores contracts.

Yeah Alex was a smart guy but Lee is just rofl pmsl rofl plain stupid as you say, this cue incident just one of the many to add to his list.

Wonder what next in this Lee saga :wave:

Postby Wildey

Alex Higgins was a honest guy maybe too honest at times and that got him in trouble. Stephen Lee honest is questionable at best.

Postby gallantrabbit

The only chance for Lee is to write a book that is actually true and in which he admits his guilt. If he writes a book just blaming everyone but himself no-one will touch it. I guess he could play pool somewhere too, but I don't know who'd have him.

Postby Andre147

gallantrabbit wrote:The only chance for Lee is to write a book that is actually true and in which he admits his guilt. If he writes a book just blaming everyone but himself no-one will touch it. I guess he could play pool somewhere too, but I don't know who'd have him.

He's only banned from snooker, he can play Pool if he wants to as you say, but I doubt he will anyway.

If he somehow manages to publish that book, no one will care about it or even read a page of it, it's not like he's a Ronnie O'Sullivan who at the end of last year published his "Running" book and was a major sucess. I for ne bought it and am currently reading it, I recommend it even for someone who isn't a Ronnie fan as he speaks his mind there and is very honest about everything he says about him, good or bad. The only downside of the book is that the guy who was with Ronnie listening to what he was saying to later publish it into words got some facts and names wrong, but that is only a minor detail because the book (Im halfway through it) is very good indeed.

Lee can only dream of publishing something like that, but if he somehow were to admit his guilt as you say then I would give him a chance of people taking it seriously, but he'll never admit his guilt will he... :wave:

Postby Wildey

yea Lee best bet is to write a true almost character assassination on himself because if he writes a book criticizing anyone else he is screwed

Postby SnookerFan

ttol wrote:He must have been a bit of a plonker to "buy" a cue off Facebook from a guy not particularly known for playing it straight.

To be fair, I thought that. If you're going to spend a lot of money on something, why do it over some dude Facebook? Not exactly a reliable source.