Post a reply

Re: Stephen Lee - 12 year ban for match fixing

Postby Witz78

I think Lee should be allowed to play pool if he wants

If you get banned from driving in a foreign country you can still drive in the UK so why should a blanket ban apply

I feel ITV missed a trick though. Lee would have been more topical and of interest (no pun intended) in the Jungle than Davis

Postby roy142857

snookerinfo wrote:Not saying that I approve his behaivor, but how do you determine a snooker game was fixed?
I mean if for example a top 16 player loses to a player on let's say 90th place, is it a suspicious match?

Difficult from the match itself unless it's blatant.

I'd not be particularly suspicious of your hypothetical Top 16 Player otherwise, the 90th player in the World had a good day, Hypothetical Top 16 Player had a bad day. End of story.

But I might be a bit suspicious if Hypothetical Top 16 Player's friend made money from betting against him in the match.

And perhaps my suspicion would grow if friends of Hypothetical Top 16 Player's manager had placed bets on him losing by the scoreline he lost by.

And perhaps I'd really lose confidence in Hypothetical Top 16 Player once I found friends of his sponsor who'd never bet on snooker before started placing large bets on him to lose by the scorelines he lost matches by ...

Of course, I might be reassured by him saying its all a big coincidence, and that money paid by one of the sponsor's friends into Mrs Hypothetical Top 16 Player's account was the normal way he received money he'd earned.

And I'd regain confidence in Hypothetical Top 16 Player completely once he said he had evidence that proves he is innocent, although he can't actually produce the evidence now, he says he'll do that when he appeals ...

Postby roy142857

The Lee case involved people who've never bet on snooker before placing bets of hundreds of pounds or a couple of thousand of pound. And all with links to people who were connected to Lee. And normally when someone starts betting on a sport, it's not on specific scorelines, leastways not if the bet is substantial.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Just a thought, but would the best way to throw a frame be to start it well, split the pack for a frame winning opportunity then call a foul on yourself letting your opponent in with an easy red and balls placed nice. That way not only do you lose the frame you are also commended for your honesty?

Probably more to it, just a random caffeine addled Friday thought :)

Postby Wildey

The first part of Stephen Lee's appeal against his conviction for match fixing has been adjourned until Monday 17th February 2014.

He should Give up

its becoming farcical.

Postby Andy Spark

No surprise to me that out of all the guys at the top of the game, it's the fittest guy that's been the most successful these last three years and the least fit one who's wrecked his life. The real mystery to me is how this guy ever managed to win 5 ranking events, of course, the fact they were all sprint formats and one of them a best of 7 certainly helped him.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Andy Spark wrote:No surprise to me that out of all the guys at the top of the game, it's the fittest guy that's been the most successful these last three years and the least fit one who's wrecked his life. The real mystery to me is how this guy ever managed to win 5 ranking events, of course, the fact they were all sprint formats and one of them a best of 7 certainly helped him.

Disagree with this andy, just before he got suspended he was playing the form of his life. He was a big fatty thou.

Postby PLtheRef

Andy Spark wrote:No surprise to me that out of all the guys at the top of the game, it's the fittest guy that's been the most successful these last three years and the least fit one who's wrecked his life. The real mystery to me is how this guy ever managed to win 5 ranking events, of course, the fact they were all sprint formats and one of them a best of 7 certainly helped him.

What on earth does weight have to do with it? In that it's "the least fit one who's wrecked his life" as you suggest?

Postby vodkadiet

Winning The China Open in 2012 doesn't make a player the most successful player of the last 3 years.

Postby Andy Spark

PLtheRef wrote:

What on earth does weight have to do with it? In that it's "the least fit one who's wrecked his life" as you suggest?

The body is the temple of the mind.

Lee's was like a ruined temple and it reflected on his mind becoming flabby so when someone suggested throwing a match for money he thought, err...maybe. I'm not saying it was the only reason, but it was one of them.

Postby vodkadiet

snooker_loopy wrote:It would be ironic if Stephen Lee's appeal was granted, the ban was lifted and he could return to play snooker but he got a lengthy prison sentence for the 'alleged' cue fraud. rofl

That let Dean Reynolds out of prison to play in the World Championship qualifying one year, why not let Lee out to play a full quota of events?

Postby Alyt

Why Higgins had 6 month ban and Lee 12 years?

Thats not a secret that World Snooker protect cheaters and drugsters but 11.5 years is a hell of a diference.

Postby Wildey

Alyt wrote:Why Higgins had 6 month ban and Lee 12 years?

Thats not a secret that World Snooker protect cheaters and drugsters but 11.5 years is a hell of a diference.

What happened in the Higgins case happened 4 years ago and has no relevance at all to the lee case.

and btw this forum will not tolerate people making accusations without hard evidence to back it up.

Postby Roland

As has been pointed out many times before, Lee was banned for actually carrying out match fixing, Higgins was having a hypothetical discussion about how easy it would be to throw frames in an exhibition match to an undercover reporter.

Postby Alyt

Wildey wrote:

What happened in the Higgins case happened 4 years ago and has no relevance at all to the lee case.

and btw this forum will not tolerate people making accusations without hard evidence to back it up.

Wich accusations?

Postby Wildey

Alyt wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Wich accusations?

World Snooker protect cheaters and drugsters.

Postby Alyt

Wildey wrote:
Alyt wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Wich accusations?

World Snooker protect cheaters and drugsters.

Ok, lets say World Snooker is severe with drugsters. Ronnie, for exemple, just been very lucky all the years he was high on cocaine, jaws trembling, bodily signs and quotes.

Postby fridge46

Statement from World Snooker:

Nicholas Stewart QC, sitting as The Appeals Committee, has considered the submissions made by all parties in the final part of Stephen Lee's appeal against his finding that he was in breach of the WPBSA Rules for match and spot fixing in connection with seven matches in 2008-9. The appeal was against the finding, sanction and the costs order imposed by Adam Lewis QC in September 2013.

Today Mr Stewart has delivered his decision and he has dismissed the appeal. In addition he has increased the costs order in relation to the hearing before Adam Lewis QC from £40,000 to £75,000. The term of the suspension remains at a period of twelve years. This means that Stephen Lee will continue to be unable to compete in professional snooker before 12th October 2024.

The costs in relation to the appeal hearing on Monday are yet to be determined.

The rulings made by Edwin Glasgow QC sitting with Peter Stockwell and Nicholas Stewart QC are available in full on the WPBSA website."

Postby JDM375

Sonny wrote:Writing a book certainly isn't the way. I doubt it'll be published and if he blogs it he'll probably get sent down.

He was talking about a story in a newspaper last year, didn't get one. Same will happen to this "book".