Post a reply

Re: Stephen Lee Suspended From World Snooker Tour !!

Postby Witz78

Wild WC wrote:a Precedent was set with Joe Jogia But with Stephen Lee this Match is not Isolated not to mention the Logo Situation with Paul Mount its just one thing after another sometimes someone has to say STOP.

so what your basically saying is this supension is some sort of Karma for his Mount falling out <doh>

Postby Witz78

snooky147 wrote:I would have imagined the logo situation between Lee and Mount was a contractual affair between them. I cant imagine why the association got involved.

did they get involved though? i dont think they did, thats why i said to Wild what on earth did that situation have to do with the betting allegations the other night?

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:I think what happened on Thursday night with other players watching on tv and commenting on Twitter is a great thing for the sport because surely if anything is to deter a match fixer it should be knowing that their peers are scrutinising their matches and questioning the shot selections at any hint of foul play.

I think most sensible sports fans were watching the darts on SKY :wave:

(or thinking up new Jimmy Savile jokes) :wave:

Postby Smart

Witz78 wrote:
snooky147 wrote:I would have imagined the logo situation between Lee and Mount was a contractual affair between them. I cant imagine why the association got involved.

did they get involved though? i dont think they did, thats why i said to Wild what on earth did that situation have to do with the betting allegations the other night?

Answer: nothing

But some peeps are glad that Lee is suspended, as he is dodgey in some peeps eyes. Non payment of debts is not a nice thing. :wave:

Postby Witz78

Smart wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

But some peeps are glad that Lee is suspended, as he is dodgey in some peeps eyes. Non payment of debts is not a nice thing. :wave:

in that case next time Selby misses a pot he should be suspended as Karma for the time that writ was issued to him rofl

Postby Smart

Witz78 wrote:
Smart wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

in that case next time Selby misses a pot he should be suspended as Karma for the time that writ was issued to him rofl

original question: the WSA would of got invovled cos having a pro in and out of court for non payment is hardly a thing that is promoting the game in fact it is borderline bringing it into disrepute........players deciding not to pay or not to honour contracts - dodgey <ok>

Postby snooky147

I totally agree smart, non payment of debt is serious. I aint defending him, cos i cannot stand him. Just concerned about precedents being set here that will take a potentially innocent mans rights away. Wilds policy of banning everyone, guilty or innocent....well....dictatorship anyone? Lol

Postby Wildey

snooky147 wrote:I totally agree smart, non payment of debt is serious. I aint defending him, cos i cannot stand him. Just concerned about precedents being set here that will take a potentially innocent mans rights away. Wilds policy of banning everyone, guilty or innocent....well....dictatorship anyone? Lol

all i care about is the sport ill be honest the players meen rubbish to me they are disposable so i might have gone slightly over the top.

Postby Monique

Wild WC wrote:
snooky147 wrote:I totally agree smart, non payment of debt is serious. I aint defending him, cos i cannot stand him. Just concerned about precedents being set here that will take a potentially innocent mans rights away. Wilds policy of banning everyone, guilty or innocent....well....dictatorship anyone? Lol

all i care about is the sport ill be honest the players meen rubbish to me they are disposable so i might have gone slightly over the top.

Only that you can't have the sport without the players and no human being should ever been seen as "disposable"? How would you feel as a "disposable" wild? Ask yourself that question.
To me every player individually is more important than the game because I know that the game or sport will go on, whatever - sportspersons have come and gone in all sports, and the sports have gone on after them just as they did before them - but they have only this one life on this earth and it's hard enough without adding unnecessary hardship to it.

Postby Monique

Wild WC wrote:when one is disposed of another takes his place.

The day someone will "dispose" of you the earth will be too small to contain your swearing… Nobody should ever been "disposed" of. People are not rubbish, they are human persons and deserve to be treated as such.

Postby Casey

If I read the WPBSA's statement right, they suspended Lee for 1 - betting patterns on Thursday but also 2- on the back of the evidence they witnessed earlier in the month from the police investigation?

Also, it's one thing to say lee was cleared from the 2010 charge and another that there wasn't enough evidence to secure a conviction.

Postby Wildey

People who does what these players get acused of is the lowest of the low in Sport by Miles.

For me far worst than anything Lance Armstrong is accused of Doing at least he Wanted to win and if he parakeet that was his Aim.

Sorry but i have no time for players that Try to Lose.

and for me there Should be zero tolerance and throw the Book at them without no way back If theres enough evidence

2 year Ban for Jogia is a Joke Life Ban is far to lenient.

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:Jogia didn't go through with it though so maybe 2 years was slightly harsh. A year maybe?

the thought of doing it is enough just throw the book at them they are bucking runts no other word describe these bucking low lifes.

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:There has to be a difference between someone that throws a match and someone that thinks about it and changes their mind.

sorry not for me there isn't there's too much gray area and loopholes...... if they put a plan in to place then backs down it makes no difference.

Postby Monique

Wild WC wrote:People who does what these players get acused of is the lowest of the low in Sport by Miles.

For me far worst than anything Lance Armstrong is accused of Doing at least he Wanted to win and if he parakeet that was his Aim.

Sorry but i have no time for players that Try to Lose.

and for me there Should be zero tolerance and throw the Book at them without no way back If theres enough evidence

2 year Ban for Jogia is a Joke Life Ban is far to lenient.

I have no time neither for cheats and dishonest persons. They should be banned whatever their status in the game.
My previous tirade was more about some of your stances towards players who have the misfortune to be citizens in countries that UK is weary of, or those who despite their best efforts can't sometimes afford the costs of the current circuit.
And also, suspending a player - which means depriving them from the possibility of earning a living - should only be done with very solid reasons.

Sport is a trade like any other. I know that you have worked in the past in a trade that is very demanding. I won't say more. But I'm asking you to think about this: would it be right - in the name of making that trade prosper - to expose it's workers to more danger and risks? Would it be right for those who get wounded in work accidents, or have their health damaged due to environmental factors linked to their job - to be "disposed of" without protection or compensation because replacement can be found easily?
In ANY trade, the promoters/organisers/authorities have responsibilities and obligations towards their "workers" - whatever the nature of that "work", just as much as the "workers" have obligations and responsibilities in their job, including that of doing it to the best of their abilities and honestly.

Postby Sickpotter

Hann agreed to take cash in advance of the match, the other was only going to gain after throwing the match so different scenario.

IMO it didn't look to me like he intentionally lost the match but if they've got sufficient evidence they have to suspend him, no room for cheats.

I will say that it's all well and good to have a zero tolerance policy but they need to be careful. Very easy to end a career with one wrong allegation so better have all the evidence lined up or the counter suit from the player could cripple the sport for a season.

Postby Witz78

Casey wrote:If I read the WPBSA's statement right, they suspended Lee for 1 - betting patterns on Thursday but also 2- on the back of the evidence they witnessed earlier in the month from the police investigation?

Also, it's one thing to say lee was cleared from the 2010 charge and another that there wasn't enough evidence to secure a conviction.

find it hard to believe point 2

he only just get cleared on that 2010 charge. WPSBA can hardly backtrack now on that surely ?

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:
Casey wrote:If I read the WPBSA's statement right, they suspended Lee for 1 - betting patterns on Thursday but also 2- on the back of the evidence they witnessed earlier in the month from the police investigation?

he only just get cleared on that 2010 charge. WPSBA can hardly backtrack now on that surely ?

Well, the WPBSA only got to look at the evidence two weeks ago and said they were conducting their own investigation....

Postby Monique

Witz78 wrote:

They have no need to "backtrack". As I wrote earlier those are two completely different scenarios. Lee was cleared of charges that would be deemed to breach the law of the country. He was not cleared of charges regarding the breach of the rules and regulations of the sport of snooker as enforced by the authorities that run the sport and his contractual obligations. WSA always said that they will now look at his case after the police investigation was closed and the evidence made available to them.
I used a simplistic example but a relevant one all the same: surely it is not against the law of the UK for a snooker player to bet on snooker, but it is against the regulations of the sport as established by WS/WSA.

Postby Sickpotter

Witz78 wrote:
Sickpotter wrote:Hann agreed to take cash, different scenario

and Jogia wasnt going to benefit financially from throwing a match? <doh>

Hann orchestrated the match fixing, Jogia participated.

There is only suspicious communication between Jogia and those who placed the bets along with odd betting patterns. That's not 100% proof. It's statistically probable he's invovled but it's not 100%.

Hann there was 100% proof and the way it came to light made the sport look bad.

Had it been the WPBSA and not a news outlet that outed him it would have assured fans/betting shops that the WPBSA was on top of this kind of activity. All it did was make it look like they weren't so it was a double slap in the face.

There are differences, subtle but still there.

Postby Alpha

Witz78 wrote:now then now then theres a link to it earlier in this thread jojo

i never realised there was another investigation ongoing, i just heard he was cleared and assumed that was it done and dusted re: the 2010 case

Me neither, at the time of the 2010 case, there was no mention of World Snooker conducting their own investigation. So in the last few years we've had Jogia, Jimmy Michie, Maguire, Burnett, Ebdon, Thepchaiya Uh-Nooh and Lee fall victim to suspicious betting patterns on top of the Higgins debacle. Where will it end?

Postby Witz78

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/others ... laims.html

Snooker scandal with Lee set 'to sue' Trump over fix claims

Stephen Lee has threatened to sue fellow snooker star Judd Trump for comments he made on Twitter questioning his performance against John Higgins.

Lee went 2-1 up in the Premier League match on Thursday only for Higgins to take three frames in a row and win 4-2.

The sixth frame went down to the pink and black and Lee had a chance to tie but missed it with the rest, allowing Higgins to win the match.

Lee, 38, has been suspended from the game while there is a probe into unusual betting patterns.

Trump tweeted to more than 90,000 followers questioning Lee’s effort.

Five-time ranking event winner Lee earlier this month saw the threat of criminal prosecution dropped for a match he played in 2009.

Lee said: ‘If Judd wants to go shouting off like that then I will get my lawyer involved. He obviously has a chip on his shoulder about something.’

Lee's manager Adam Quigley has slammed the player's suspension pending a match-fixing probe and revealed he has complained to snooker's world governing body over the conduct of Trump.

Quigley said: 'For a fellow professional to tweet that a fellow professional should be banned is extremely unprofessional, and I have made our feelings clear to the governing body about that.

'Stephen is absolutely devastated. He has worked incredibly hard this year to get back up to number seven in the world. He is sick of all this stuff getting thrown at him and feels there are doubts about him every time he misses a ball.

'He has struggled for two and a half years only to be told the CPS would not be making a case and getting some positive news at last. Then suddenly something else comes along and he is back to square one.'

doesnt look like the talk of a guilty man to me