Post a reply

Re: HEARN GOES NUTS OVER BRAZIL

Postby snooky147

Witz78 wrote:
yeh at the end of the day snooky id sooner see folk like Lee, Doherty, Wenbo, Lisowski and Drago involved in Brazil than the likes of Mark Davis, Bingham etc

ok, i forgot Dott off my list so that has got your back up prob, it wasnt intentional, but if i had thought about it, then yeh id prob have intentionally done it.

Says it all that i forget Dott when thinking of players in my head when compiling the list, so many of these guys are just anonymous and much of a muchness.

Anyway the fact remains its an invitational event so i dont know why, bar Steve Davis invite, that more discretion wasnt used in terms of picking a varied field for this tournament instead of just the next in line down the rankings and so on until a field was assembled. I suspect some of those who are going can probably see if far enough but thought, what the hell id better go to keep the peace. Whereas the likes of Lisowski, Wenbo, Jimmy, Drago etc would have bit Hearns hand off to go and added a lot more to the event.

Actually no mate, leaving his name out does not annoy me, I'm used to it but Jimmy, Drago and and Lee etc have had their chance and your Lisowski's etc still have some proving to do. You may not think the current field has much charisma as you put it but I am sure they will put on a great show.

Postby Monique

snooky147 wrote:Actually no mate, leaving his name out does not annoy me, I'm used to it but Jimmy, Drago and and Lee etc have had their chance and your Lisowski's etc still have some proving to do. You may not think the current field has much charisma as you put it but I am sure they will put on a great show.

I agree with that snooky. I never understood why people brand players like Graeme or Ali "boring". Those two wear their heart on their sleeves and allow the audience to embark on their emotional trip as the game unfolds. They actually involve the crowd in their game.
If Martin Gould is indeed replacing Mark Allen, he's one of the most attacking players on the tour, as is Jamie Cope. Ricky hasn't been great recently and isn't too high in confidence obviously, but this is invitational and with less pressure he might well express himself out there: he's champagne when on form. Mark Selby and Shaun Murphy are always reliable exponents and top players, with Lee and Ebdon not far behind. Stephen Hendry and Steve Davis are two legends. IMO both Stuart Bingham and Mark Davis are underrated by most fans. Both very capable as Stuart showed in Australia BTW. Igor in full stream is a joy to watch and with the support of the local crowd I expect the home boys to do well. It should be a good tournament, even a very good one. And with the usual suspects not in, a great opportunity to show that snooker is not just about a handfull of names.

Graeme might even get the telly table ;-)

Postby gallantrabbit

As Igor is already playing they should have made it one Brazil card cos these 2 guys will not add anything to the tourney. I know cos I've seen them play and they will be whipping boys. Noel is ok but the others... They're all out scrabbling for a 12 foot table FFs.
The idea of Jimmy going is decent although where they are playing the bleeding event does not lend itself to local involvement, clubs etc.
It's a disaster waiting to happen. I'll be there, but only cos itll be a one off.
Ticket prices coming down already after 3 days of sales. Am still waiting for further drop...

Postby gallantrabbit

Not knocking the local lads too much as they're decent cueists and exponents of their games. But not real snooker on real tables...

Postby GJ

Barry your talk is getting boring

Either dish out punishments or stop moaning about it

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:Barry your talk is getting boring

Either dish out punishments or stop moaning about it

its not moaning its telling every single player how disapointed he is in them its not a punishement matter although if he sold his 51% share back and gave rodney walker a phone call and say you deserve them i guess that would be punishement.

Postby GJ

he was crying a while abck about another event and players not going

either make a stand or it will increasingly look like publicity stunts

Postby Wildey

theres nothing you can do if players dont want the sport to get bigger and richer their loss.

what i would have done was not give sanctions to the trump v ding exho bullocks and let them stay home.

Postby gallantrabbit

GJ wrote:he was crying a while abck about another event and players not going

either make a stand or it will increasingly look like publicity stunts

Publicity stunt? Nonsense. Hearn is working his bottom off to make things happen. He's just frustrated that players that 2 years ago, who were crying about having to play pro-ams for match practice for 500 quid, now have money coming in and can't get off their own baboons shiny behinds to do win 30k in dollars.
He can't force players to play in invitation events, but he might expect a little cooperation in helping to make them rich

Postby GJ

good to see baz has a few lap dogs / poodles on here

volunteers or .........

Postby gallantrabbit

You are a silly boy GJ...
This comes from someone whose "opinions" are based on the attitude the reverred Robbo takes. If he'd deigned to accept his invitation to visit Brazil you'd be knocking all those who turned the invite down :zzz:

Postby GJ

gallantrabbit wrote:You are a silly boy GJ...
This comes from someone whose "opinions" are based on the attitude the reverred Robbo takes. If he'd deigned to accept his invitation to visit Brazil you'd be knocking all those who turned the invite down :zzz:

his son comes ahead of some poxy event that has no up and coming players so its hardly an event that will get bigger

:wave: :td:

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:

his son comes ahead of some poxy event that has no up and coming players so its hardly an event that will get bigger

buck sakes <doh>

if Steve Davis and Barry Hearn thought that in the 80s and not bother going to play in china where there wasent "no up and coming players so its hardly an event that will get bigger" then there would not be Ding Junhui no Ranking events in china and a tour strugling even more than it has been.

Postby GJ

brazil will be the 2nd bahrain they had no players from there and it fell apart

yes robbo won it but it was a farce TBH

unless a country has a player to support an event in them countries is pointless

crowds will be sparse at best ...........

even malta would be better as mafia man is still on tour

Postby gallantrabbit

GJ wrote:

Ah bless. You don't get it do you? With Robbo, Allen, Ronnie etc this event would have every chance to get bigger. Without probably not. Roobo just another example of a player crying 2 years ago cos there were no events and now not prepared in the slightest to help Hearn. Hearn said years ago that he was 'leaving ' snooker to work with real men. Every chance of him doing the same again if this is the type of support he gets. Take those bins off GJ and you might see that.

Postby GJ

GJ wrote:brazil will be the 2nd bahrain they had no players from there and it fell apart

unless a country has a player to support an event in them countries is pointless

:wave:

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:brazil will be the 2nd bahrain they had no players from there and it fell apart

that was a Ranking Event thrown together in about a month.

this is a invitational that could throw together a Ronnie vs Robbo class match early on but now they will proberbly have to settle for Bingham v Mark Davis......well done lads :td:

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:

this is a invitational that could throw together a Ronnie vs Robbo class match early on but now they will proberbly have to settle for Bingham v Mark Davis......well done lads :td:

mate take your blinkers off having an extra event just to make up numbers is pointless

<doh>

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:
Wild wrote:

mate take your blinkers off having an extra event just to make up numbers is pointless

<doh>

are you really this stupid ???

i rate this as 3 or 4th most important event this season ok maybe not in prestiege but if snooker wants to grow get bigger get more money then these events has to happen if its a success the doors it will open is massive its just a shame some players arent going to help in that goal and give it best possible chance.

Postby gallantrabbit

Tis trial and error dear boy. Some will work, some will not. But if every time there isn't an absolute sell out the players jump ship we will always have a restricted market.
What is for sure is that WITH the top players Brazil had a chance of working out. Robbo and his mates have just managed to help guarantee that Brazil will be a one off. Then diddums won't have to worry about turning down an invitation. Sure that an extra PTC in nSheffield behind closed doors is more up his street...

Postby vodkadiet

Hearn should show his intent. He should whip Ronnie's backside until it is red raw, live on Newsnight.
Last edited by vodkadiet on 16 Aug 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby GJ

vodkadiet wrote:Hearn should show his intent. He should give whip Ronnie's backside until it is red raw, live on Newsnight.

rofl

Postby Tubberlad

GJ, the reason Bahrain did so badly was because so many big names were missing. That and the fact that Bahrain & other oil-laden countries in this part of the world actually seem to show very little interest in sport full stop. I've seen Formula One and Tennis from this part of the world, and the story is similar.

Brazil is a different story. Sports like Football, Motorsport & Volleyball are adored in the country, so their is an appetite for sport, somewhat like Australia. Okay, they don't have a top professional, but do Germany? Brazil was an opportunity, genuinely, but it perhaps needed top, exciting players like Robertson, Higgins, O'Sullivan, Trump, Ding, Williams & Allen.

I've actually got to be critical of Robertson since the Hearn era began. He has not made the effort required, which is disappointing because he is a very marketable player. I know he has a young son, and that's gotta be the most important thing to him, but he could have put in a much bigger effort with PTC's, and I think he should have gone to this.

Robertson, O'Sullivan, Higgins, Allen etc. could be doing an awful lot more. Ali Carter's got a young son, yet he's going to Brazil and plays a lot more than Robertson?

Postby GJ

Tubberlad wrote:GJ, the reason Bahrain did so badly was because so many big names were missing. That and the fact that Bahrain & other oil-laden countries in this part of the world actually seem to show very little interest in sport full stop. I've seen Formula One and Tennis from this part of the world, and the story is similar.

Brazil is a different story. Sports like Football, Motorsport & Volleyball are adored in the country, so their is an appetite for sport, somewhat like Australia. Okay, they don't have a top professional, but do Germany? Brazil was an opportunity, genuinely, but it perhaps needed top, exciting players like Robertson, Higgins, O'Sullivan, Trump, Ding, Williams & Allen.

I've actually got to be critical of Robertson since the Hearn era began. He has not made the effort required, which is disappointing because he is a very marketable player. I know he has a young son, and that's gotta be the most important thing to him, but he could have put in a much bigger effort with PTC's, and I think he should have gone to this.

Robertson, O'Sullivan, Higgins, Allen etc. could be doing an awful lot more. Ali Carter's got a young son, yet he's going to Brazil and plays a lot more than Robertson?

robbo and ding have pl a few days after brazil with shanghai week beofre brazil

shocking schedule IMO

Postby Tubberlad

Yet Ding is talking about doing an exhibition in China? You can add Ding's name to above, he's made a few howlers too...

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:GJ, the reason Bahrain did so badly was because so many big names were missing. That and the fact that Bahrain & other oil-laden countries in this part of the world actually seem to show very little interest in sport full stop. I've seen Formula One and Tennis from this part of the world, and the story is similar.

Stuart Bingham is due to be a father during september the month when the event is on and hes in the draw....

it i hard to criticise players from a family angle but i genuinly like you think this could prove to be the biggest missed opertunity of the new hearn regime.

but if this event proves popular and gets ranking status i know who id be banning from going.

Postby Witz78

players using families as a reason is lame and pathetic

they still get far more free time than normal people

and they earn far more money than the average worker in the process

if there proper pros then they have to accept that its Bangkok one week and Bangor the next and get on with it.

I mean look, theres a week and a half theyve had off since the last PTC. they get tons off breaks within the season, even if they play all the events and do well in them.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:players using families as a reason is lame and pathetic

they still get far more free time than normal people

and they earn far more money than the average worker in the process

if there proper pros then they have to accept that its Bangkok one week and Bangor the next and get on with it.

I mean look, theres a week and a half theyve had off since the last PTC. they get tons off breaks within the season, even if they play all the events and do well in them.

Excluding qualifiers theres 158 Days of Snooker this season if a player wins every event from World Championship to Championship League but within thoes 158 days theres days that you dont play like in sheffield Trump after his first match did not play for 5 days.

most people in full time employment work 230 days a year with overtime considerably more.

Postby Witz78

if i could be hassled doing it, id work out how many days the players have "worked" this year so far

it would soon make a mockery of there burnt out claims