Post a reply

Re: HEARN GOES NUTS OVER BRAZIL

Postby Wildey

N_Castle07 wrote: Ok it’s not Tennis/Golf player money

YET

but its never going to get there unless players today does it for future generations.

in the 80s Snooker and Golf was on a par regarding money golf went to orbit and snooker was left behind. if players want to get closer to what golfers earn the players not hearn has to make it happen money wont fall from the sky it will take a lot of work from players to make it happen.

i agree regarding picking and choosing but not at the moment like Dave Hendon said if in 10 years the tour looks like this season then yes pick and chose but you have to reach 10 years with the tour like it is for that to become a reality. moaning after year and a half is not very inspiring that will happen.

Postby Bourne

N_Castle07 wrote:I am a strong believer that players should be able to pick and choose which events they play in but this just blows my skull. I’ve never turned down an extra shift in my life and never would and that’s doing an average job. These players are getting paid handsome amounts doing a job they love. Ok it’s not Tennis/Golf player money but the whole point of this tournament is to promote Snooker in South America. Out of the top players or “Stars” Selby and Murphy seem to be the only players who see the potential.
Selby/Murphy = True Professionals

True pros but this is a results game and the two you mention have a combined 1 ranking title in the last 2 and a half years (and i'm pushing it calling the PTC Finals a proper ranker but there you go) ... they might be remembered as great ambassadors of the game but not as great players :hatoff:

Postby N_Castle07

Wild wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:There's a reason the same players get on the posters over and over again... because they're the easiest to market. Plain and simple. Fair? Nope, not really... but it probably makes sense. You ain't gonna fire Marcus Campbell on a poster ahead of someone who has a decent, marketable image like Robertson or Trump, or someone who's a multiple World Champion like Hendry or Higgins

Two players who deserve a lot of credit for the effort they've put in: Selby & Murphy <ok>

ill be honest im more snake hissed off with the younger generation than i am with Ronnie....

its theire future barry hearn is building for why should he give a little kitten he is 60+ with enough buisness intrests outside snooker he could at any moment say little kitten you my 51% share up for grabs i dont need this donkey doo.

I'll second that. The likes of Williams, Higgins and O'Sullivan have done there fair share of promoting the game over the years. And I can’t blame them for not having the hunger a man of Ding/Trumps age would have. After all all three men have nothing to prove to anyone.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
N_Castle07 wrote:I am a strong believer that players should be able to pick and choose which events they play in but this just blows my skull. I’ve never turned down an extra shift in my life and never would and that’s doing an average job. These players are getting paid handsome amounts doing a job they love. Ok it’s not Tennis/Golf player money but the whole point of this tournament is to promote Snooker in South America. Out of the top players or “Stars” Selby and Murphy seem to be the only players who see the potential.
Selby/Murphy = True Professionals

True pros but this is a results game and the two you mention have a combined 1 ranking title in the last 2 and a half years (and i'm pushing it calling the PTC Finals a proper ranker but there you go) ... they might be remembered as great ambassadors of the game but not as great players :hatoff:

time for ambassadors now buck being players because without a few ambassadors the players would be screwed.

Postby Witz78

dunno why they didnt give a wildcard to Jimmy for this event so there was at least one peoples champions / entertainer there for the Brazilian crowds benefit. Hed have bit Hearns hand off to go there too unlike these guys 15-20 younger than him, he also has nothing to prove but he has snooker in his blood, whereas Higgins, Ronnie etc clearly dont

Postby gallantrabbit

Too right Witz. Everyone complains about Jimmycard`s but the man never turns one down, not like all these other tarts who think Hearn owes them a living.

Postby Witz78

yeh worst case scenario they could have taken Jimmy with them covering his expenses etc and hed have been more than happy to out and do some exhibitions at local clubs or schools to help promote the game.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:yeh worst case scenario they could have taken Jimmy with them covering his expenses etc and hed have been more than happy to out and do some exhibitions at local clubs or schools to help promote the game.

IM NOT IN TO WILD CARDS

BUT

this event is too important to snake hiss about with and i definitly can see the value in jimmy going to Brazil.

Postby Witz78

absolutely because no offence to the players going now, but hardly any of them have a personality or charisma let alone play the game in an exciting manner to wow the locals

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:absolutely because no offence to the players going now, but hardly any of them have a personality or charisma let alone play the game in an exciting manner to wow the locals

to be perfectly honest neither has jimmy ....you really are living in the past jimmy is a bit of a grinder these days and he never had much persanality in his prime...BUT you really need top players or Known players in tournaments like these.

Postby snooky147

Witz78 wrote:absolutely because no offence to the players going now, but hardly any of them have a personality or charisma let alone play the game in an exciting manner to wow the locals

Maybe they dont have the type of personality you want them to have but most of them have their supporters in their own right(except Stephen Lee :bags: ). Again, you do these players an injustice. And as for Jimmy, are you honestly that naieve that he would go out there for little to nothing, you say pay his expenses and he'll do this and that. What utter and complete nonsense.

Postby Witz78

snooky147 wrote:

Maybe they dont have the type of personality you want them to have but most of them have their supporters in their own right(except Stephen Lee :bags: ). Again, you do these players an injustice. And as for Jimmy, are you honestly that naieve that he would go out there for little to nothing, you say pay his expenses and he'll do this and that. What utter and complete nonsense.

I'll have you know im a fan of Stephen Lee :grrr:

what kind of personality do i want them to have?

without naming names this Brazil line up is dull and boring

Of course Jimmy still has to make a living and hes hardly going to get himself out of pocket, but im sure if Hearn phoned him up and said do you fancy a free holiday to Brazil with your bar and food bill covered, so long as you do some promotional work for us whilst were over there, hed jump at the chance.

Postby Wildey

yes but you got to admit having just 2 of the WC Quarter final there is a bit of a blow to the event

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:yes but you got to admit having just 2 of the WC Quarter final there is a bit of a blow to the event

plus forget even the rankings for a minute, the players who have all pulled out are far more attractive to watch and have more charisma than those who are going.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:yes but you got to admit having just 2 of the WC Quarter final there is a bit of a blow to the event

plus forget even the rankings for a minute, the players who have all pulled out are far more attractive to watch and have more charisma than those who are going.

but they are there on merit there might have been a case of 8 based on rankings then 4 locals and 4 WS Wild Cards with Davis,White having 2.

not to mention more cash for the journey than someone like Mark Davis.

Postby Witz78

yes the policy of just awarding an invitation to the next player down the ranking list and so on whenever anyone above them pulled out was a bit lame.

yeh the top guys all shouldnt have pulled out but at that point Plan B should have been put in place and some thoughts as to how to rescue the event should have been used.

Personally if 16 players were involved then this would have been my 16 less the drop outs obviously,

1Selby
2Murphy
3Carter
4Lee
5Ebdon
6Doherty
7Hendry
8S.Davis
9Jimmy
10Wenbo
11 Lisowksi
12 Drago
13 Figuerido
14 Santos
15 Local qualifier
16 Local qualifier

this line up is a far more attractive mix of local players, top players, young players and old legends which ticks all the boxes.

Postby snooky147

Murphy, Selby,Carter, Dott and Davis were amongst the original invitees. They took up their invite. The fact that they HAVE to come home from Shanghai and then basically turn around and go back to Brazil was obviously putting some off. For others it was a lack of money, ie they did not think the journey worth their time. These are the ones I am annoyed with, the ones that want over and above whats there in order to play. I am not saying anything out of turn here when I say that Graeme will go to ANY tournament PROVIDING it is financially feasible, ie he is not losing money. He was definitely going to Australia barring the neck injury. But he is not looking for a massive payout, just enough that contributes to his earnings throughout the year in order to provide for his family. That is Graeme's criteria for these things, which I think is more than fair.

Postby snooky147

Witz78 wrote:yes the policy of just awarding an invitation to the next player down the ranking list and so on whenever anyone above them pulled out was a bit lame.

yeh the top guys all shouldnt have pulled out but at that point Plan B should have been put in place and some thoughts as to how to rescue the event should have been used.

Personally if 16 players were involved then this would have been my 16 less the drop outs obviously,

1Selby
2Murphy
3Carter
4Lee
5Ebdon
6Doherty
7Hendry
8S.Davis
9Jimmy
10Wenbo
11 Lisowksi
12 Drago
13 Figuerido
14 Santos
15 Local qualifier
16 Local qualifier

this line up is a far more attractive mix of local players, top players, young players and old legends which ticks all the boxes.

You are living in the bleeding past mate. You are entitled to your favourite players but you cannot possibly expect anyone to take that list seriously.

Postby Wildey

snooky147 wrote:Murphy, Selby,Carter, Dott and Davis were amongst the original invitees. They took up their invite. The fact that they HAVE to come home from Shanghai and then basically turn around and go back to Brazil was obviously putting some off. For others it was a lack of money, ie they did not think the journey worth their time. These are the ones I am annoyed with, the ones that want over and above whats there in order to play. I am not saying anything out of turn here when I say that Graeme will go to ANY tournament PROVIDING it is financially feasible, ie he is not losing money. He was definitely going to Australia barring the neck injury. But he is not looking for a massive payout, just enough that contributes to his earnings throughout the year in order to provide for his family. That is Graeme's criteria for these things, which I think is more than fair.

i think the logistics of it was tough but thats how the tour is going you either jump on for the ride or you left behind.

Heinan World Open 5-11 march China
2 days between
PTC Grand Finals 14-18 March prob europe
7 days between
China Open 26 March-1 April china

my guess PTC Finals will be somewhere in Europe

they are all rankings.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
snooky147 wrote:Murphy, Selby,Carter, Dott and Davis were amongst the original invitees. They took up their invite. The fact that they HAVE to come home from Shanghai and then basically turn around and go back to Brazil was obviously putting some off. For others it was a lack of money, ie they did not think the journey worth their time. These are the ones I am annoyed with, the ones that want over and above whats there in order to play. I am not saying anything out of turn here when I say that Graeme will go to ANY tournament PROVIDING it is financially feasible, ie he is not losing money. He was definitely going to Australia barring the neck injury. But he is not looking for a massive payout, just enough that contributes to his earnings throughout the year in order to provide for his family. That is Graeme's criteria for these things, which I think is more than fair.

i think the logistics of it was tough but thats how the tour is going you either jump on for the ride or you left behind.

Heinan World Open 5-11 march China
2 days between
PTC Grand Finals 14-18 March prob europe
7 days between
China Open 26 March-1 April china

my guess PTC Finals will be somewhere in Europe

they are all rankings.

plus theres a ranker in India too somewhere around then too aint there

Postby Wildey

jesus just thought technically Ronnie is in all 3 events hes already earned enough points for PTC Finals so will he play in that so near to the World Open or will he skip the World Open...

ill be amazed if Ronnie plays in all 3, ill be shocked if Ronnie goes to china twice in 20 days.

Postby Witz78

snooky147 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:yes the policy of just awarding an invitation to the next player down the ranking list and so on whenever anyone above them pulled out was a bit lame.

1Selby
2Murphy
3Carter
4Lee
5Ebdon
6Doherty
7Hendry
8S.Davis
9Jimmy
10Wenbo
11 Lisowksi
12 Drago
13 Figuerido
14 Santos
15 Local qualifier
16 Local qualifier

You are living in the bleeding past mate. You are entitled to your favourite players but you cannot possibly expect anyone to take that list seriously.

well maybe if the current stars had bothered their backsides to go then i wouldnt have need to have drafted this list :chuckle:

Postby Wildey

jesus forgot about the dehlly belly classic <laugh>

they wanted tournaments my guess they wanted them in chigwell,glasgow and antrim..... Brazil and India never even entered their small minded minds.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:jesus just thought technically Ronnie is in all 3 events hes already earned enough points for PTC Finals so will he play in that so near to the World Open or will he skip the World Open...

ill be amazed if Ronnie plays in all 3, ill be shocked if Ronnie goes to china twice in 20 days.

of course Ronnie will play them all :john:

thats why hes skipped Australia and Brazil to keep himself fresh for these <laugh>

to be honest Ronnie will play the bare minimum this season that keeps him in the top 16

all UK events he will play in and obviously 3 of the European PTCs to meet the criteria but if he can say, win the UK, Welsh etc to rack up points to save himself trips to the Far East then he will.

I'll still be surprised if he goes to Shanghai even though he really needs to, i guess to an extent he can skip it as he has 4 more PTCs before the rankings window closes

surprising though he impoloded v O'Brien the last day when there was potentially another vital 1,00o points to be gained that day which would have helped him escape a foreign trip

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:jesus just thought technically Ronnie is in all 3 events hes already earned enough points for PTC Finals so will he play in that so near to the World Open or will he skip the World Open...

of course Ronnie will play them all :john:

thats why hes skipped Australia and Brazil to keep himself fresh for these <laugh>

to be honest Ronnie will play the bare minimum this season that keeps him in the top 16

all UK events he will play in and obviously 3 of the European PTCs to meet the criteria but if he can say, win the UK, Welsh etc to rack up points to save himself trips to the Far East then he will.

I'll still be surprised if he goes to Shanghai even though he really needs to, i guess to an extent he can skip it as he has 4 more PTCs before the rankings window closes

surprising though he impoloded v O'Brien the last day when there was potentially another vital 1,00o points to be gained that day which would have helped him escape a foreign trip

Ronnie has won 5,600 Ranking points from the 4 PTC He has played in Winner,Runner up and 2 Quarter Finals they will be his ranking saviour because he always does well in them.

Postby snooky147

Wild wrote:

Ronnie has won 5,600 Ranking points from the 4 PTC He has played in Winner,Runner up and 2 Quarter Finals they will be his ranking saviour because he always does well in them.

Hopefully he does not do that well in PTC3 :john:

Postby SnookerFan

snooky147 wrote:You are living in the bleeding past mate. You are entitled to your favourite players but you cannot possibly expect anyone to take that list seriously.

You having a laugh? I don't make a habit of agreeing with Witz, but that seems like a pretty good list to me. :bowdown:

Postby vodkadiet

Hearn should give anyone who takes part loads of ranking points. It is in his discretion.

ZERO TOLERANCE!

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
snooky147 wrote:You are living in the bleeding past mate. You are entitled to your favourite players but you cannot possibly expect anyone to take that list seriously.

You having a laugh? I don't make a habit of agreeing with Witz, but that seems like a pretty good list to me. :bowdown:

yeh at the end of the day snooky id sooner see folk like Lee, Doherty, Wenbo, Lisowski and Drago involved in Brazil than the likes of Mark Davis, Bingham etc

ok, i forgot Dott off my list so that has got your back up prob, it wasnt intentional, but if i had thought about it, then yeh id prob have intentionally done it.

Says it all that i forget Dott when thinking of players in my head when compiling the list, so many of these guys are just anonymous and much of a muchness.

Anyway the fact remains its an invitational event so i dont know why, bar Steve Davis invite, that more discretion wasnt used in terms of picking a varied field for this tournament instead of just the next in line down the rankings and so on until a field was assembled. I suspect some of those who are going can probably see if far enough but thought, what the hell id better go to keep the peace. Whereas the likes of Lisowski, Wenbo, Jimmy, Drago etc would have bit Hearns hand off to go and added a lot more to the event.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

yeh at the end of the day snooky id sooner see folk like Lee, Doherty, Wenbo, Lisowski and Drago involved in Brazil than the likes of Mark Davis, Bingham etc

ok, i forgot Dott off my list so that has got your back up prob, it wasnt intentional, but if i had thought about it, then yeh id prob have intentionally done it.

Says it all that i forget Dott when thinking of players in my head when compiling the list, so many of these guys are just anonymous and much of a muchness.

Anyway the fact remains its an invitational event so i dont know why, bar Steve Davis invite, that more discretion wasnt used in terms of picking a varied field for this tournament instead of just the next in line down the rankings and so on until a field was assembled. I suspect some of those who are going can probably see if far enough but thought, what the hell id better go to keep the peace. Whereas the likes of Lisowski, Wenbo, Jimmy, Drago etc would have bit Hearns hand off to go and added a lot more to the event.

point is witz it was meant to be

Top 8
John Higgins
Mark Williams
Mark Selby
Ding Junhui
Neil Robertson
Ali Carter
Shaun Murphy
Stephen Maguire

then because there was exciting players just under that they made it

Judd Trump
Graeme Dott
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Mark Allen

with 4 wild cards headed by Steve Davis

when players decided not to take up their invites they could not then change the goal posts so they went with rankings.

i think next year Top 8 with rankings then wild cards is the way to go with this event for now,if brazil will bother next year that is..