Post a reply

Re: WPBSA Statement

Postby Tubberlad

Sickpotter wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Sickpotter wrote:
Witz78 wrote:yeh sadly Hann wasnt in the fortunate position Higgins was of having some chinless wonder, namely Mooney to take the rap for him.

Nothing "fortunate" about it when your manager sets you up. <doh>

"we could swallow the 300k in my Spanish villa, eh Pat?" :john:

Guess the bit about Mooney specifically asking him to play along with any questions about match fixing eluded you witz. ;-)

I like you Witz, you're entertaining but man you're way out to lunch if you think Hann's case is comperable to Higgins/Mooney. <doh>

Quite frankly your support of Hann while attacking John is very confusing. :huh:

It kinda looks like you have no problem with possible cheaters if you like the player or their style of play. :shrug:

Spot on :hatoff:

Postby Witz78

all i ask for is equality across the board and no preferential treatment. Sadly Hearn let me down.

Yes, Quinten sinned but the price he paid was farcial and a slap in the face to fans like me who prefer the edgier players.

Postby Sickpotter

Witz78 wrote:all i ask for is equality across the board and no preferential treatment. Sadly Hearn let me down.

Yes, Quinten sinned but the price he paid was farcial and a slap in the face to fans like me who prefer the edgier players.

Problem is that you're assuming there was preferential treatment when in reality the two cases are completely different.

You suggest Mooney took the bullet for John but the reality was that he was the instigator of the entire meeting/sting . John was told the meeting was to secure sponsorship and only told just before going in that he should go along with match fixing questions, they were dealing with questionable/dangerous people.

Quinten was dead in the water. He was the only one involved in arranging the meeting, handled all his own negotiations without prompting, etc. That he chose not to show up to face/refute the allegations says it all.

If John had chosen not to fight the charges he definitely would've gotten a similar ban, no question. Given the scrutiny snooker came under because of those allegations I expect his ban might've been worse to set an example that no player is above the law. He fought the charges and it was shown that he had no intent to throw matches and wasn't even the person who suggested it to begin with.

He paid his dues (fine/6 month ban) for bringing the game into disrepute and not reporting the incident in a timely manner.

The only issue I think it reasonable to have with the ruling is the date the ban started. IMO it should've started at the beginning of the next season, the off season shouldn't have counted as time served.

For the record I thought Hann was a great talent but not a great professional.

Postby GrumpyMrDavros

I wonder since there's no criminal case being brought someone might upload the frame on to youtube ?

I have seen the black " miss " but I'm very intrigued by the oft qouted Burnett reaction to the pink

Postby Witz78

GrumpyMrDavros wrote:I wonder since there's no criminal case being brought someone might upload the frame on to youtube ?

I have seen the black " miss " but I'm very intrigued by the oft qouted Burnett reaction to the pink

its nowhere to be seen sadly but its priceless.

from memory he plays a medium range pink into the same corner pocket he missed the black into. He absolutely rattles it, misses the pocket by a good foot and hes just about to walk away back to his chair when it goes round the angles and flies into the middle pocket on the opposite side of the table.

he just kinda stops in his tracks and instead of doing the usual wry smile at a ridiculous fluke that most would do, he almost looks terrified with a look of horror in his eyes, even more so when the white eventually stops near the black and he realises hes odds on to pot the black. rofl

Postby Wildey

i love this

witz in a argument and im not involved :happy:

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/snooker/7990998/Banned-Australian-Quinten-Hann-slams-John-Higgins-snooker-match-fixing-verdict.html

hanns take on match fixing case with higgins

only just found this article from last year

well there we go, thats exactly what ive said from day one and it looks like Hann sees the verdict for what it is.

one rule for some and another for others. :td:

PS- did you see your pals left a comment at the bottom :john:

Postby GJ

Witz78 wrote:
GJ wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/snooker/7990998/Banned-Australian-Quinten-Hann-slams-John-Higgins-snooker-match-fixing-verdict.html

well there we go, thats exactly what ive said from day one and it looks like Hann sees the verdict for what it is.

one rule for some and another for others. :td:

PS- did you see your pals left a comment at the bottom :john:

he is predictable if nothing else rofl <laugh>

Postby Tubberlad

I did find it very interesting that Higgins was not voted Players' Player of the Year. I do think that there may actually be a serious problem with match fixing in this game... I heard there were ironic cheers going around amongst the players watching while the Burnett debacle was unfolding, and I remember listening to the draw for the 2009 World Championship. Michael Holt and Joe Perry were laughing away unashamedly when the Maguire & Burnett were drawn to meet.

Postby GJ

Tubberlad wrote:

I did find it very interesting that Higgins was not voted Players' Player of the Year. I do think that there may actually be a serious problem with match fixing in this game... I heard there were ironic cheers going around amongst the players watching while the Burnett debacle was unfolding, and I remember listening to the draw for the 2009 World Championship. Michael Holt and Joe Perry were laughing away unashamedly when the Maguire & Burnett were drawn to meet.

Yes i remember that and yes i think alot of players are not to friendly with higgins since his return and the snub for that award confirms this

Postby Tubberlad

GJ wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:

Yes i remember that and yes i think alot of players are not to friendly with higgins since his return and the snub for that award confirms this

Sullivan is the only player I've heard of late actually praising Higgins, but they're very good mates anyway, always have been.

A poster said of late, can't remember who, that the players think nothing of what has happened. Now, I'm no expert and I don't talk to the players, but by the look of it, I don't think that statement is true. Higgins was the best player this season by a country mile, and for him not to get this award after losing out to someone he beat twice is, to me, very interesting at least.

Postby GJ

Tubberlad wrote:
GJ wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:

Sullivan is the only player I've heard of late actually praising Higgins, but they're very good mates anyway, always have been.

A poster said of late, can't remember who, that the players think nothing of what has happened. Now, I'm no expert and I don't talk to the players, but by the look of it, I don't think that statement is true. Higgins was the best player this season by a country mile, and for him not to get this award after losing out to someone he beat twice is, to me, very interesting at least.

fully agree i think robbos comment prior to world open showed he was surprised higgins had received a far more lenient ban than hann and i think alot of players think because it was higgins he got off lightly

whether thats true is down to everyones own personal opinion

Postby Wildey

yes but we have to remember when it comes to administrative opinions or political wranglings snooker players are pretty clueless i doubt they understand sod all that was happening TBH.

all they see is NOTW thats their level of understanding everything else just went way over their heads.

it braught shame on the sport how it happened isnt that important to them.

Postby Witz78

yeh thats def the case GJ

theres a bit of resentment that he got off so lightly compared to Hann

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:yeh thats def the case GJ

something tells me you have a crush on hann :limp:

Postby Tubberlad

Yeah, of course.

I know that the video itself is heavily edited, but the actual 'physical' actions in that tape are what will always get my back up on this one. He looks jovial rather than nervous. He shakes hands. He toasts drinks at the end. He had not reported the incident.

He was not cleared of match fixing by the group passing judgement. He was cleared of nothing, that's a myth. Those charges were dropped by World Snooker themselves. Taking the above paragraph into the equation, I personally find it hard to see why, especially seeing as Mooney went down, but I won't comment further on that.

If anyone thinks it's because I have an issue with him overtaking Ronnie, they are entitled to think that, but that is not the case for me. I had never said anything bad against Higgins, he was never a player who excited me but I thought him to be a nice guy and an excellent player. I support Ronnie because he is by far my favourite player, and the fact that he is not the most succesful player of his era or all time, though it does disappoint me, is not a major issue for me.

If any mods feel there's a problem with the above comment, you can delete it, but I don't see a major problem with it. We're all entitled to opinions, and he's not beyond criticism.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:yeh thats def the case GJ

something tells me you have a crush on hann :limp:

:shock: <doh>

hes simply my kind of player, a rebel <ok>

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:i love this

witz in a argument and im not involved :happy:

ive got bigger fish to fry at the moment

some Hendon character on Twitter bad mouthing Hann at the moment :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:

Postby vodkadiet

From a punter's point of view it is just a shame we will never see a drawsheet again that reads:

S Francisco vs P Francisco

:grrr:

Postby Witz78

vodkadiet wrote:From a punter's point of view it is just a shame we will never see a drawsheet again that reads:

With Mannie as the referee :hatoff:

Postby vodkadiet

Witz78 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:From a punter's point of view it is just a shame we will never see a drawsheet again that reads:

With Mannie as the referee :hatoff:

:evilgrin:

Postby Sickpotter

IMO MJW deserved player of the year as much as Higgins. He was the most consistent, regained the #1 spot and actually played the whole season.

How/when is the voting done? If players already knew the results of the other awards before making their vote it could impact their decision.

No matter, I don't think we can take the players choice going in favor of MJW as any kind of opinion of their views of John. For all we know it might have been a very close vote between the two :shrug:

Hann's reaction struck me as sour grapes. Lump should've contested the charge if he thought it was bogus. :roll:

I don't know that Robbo would make any comparison between Hann's punishment and Higgins', he's smart enough to realize the two situations are quite different. He might have been surprised at the duration of Higgins' ban solely because he was expecting, like many (myself included) that his ban would've started at the beginning of the season. :shrug:

Postby Wildey

Sickpotter wrote:I don't know that Robbo would make any comparison between Hann's punishment and Higgins', he's smart enough to realize the two situations are quite different. He might have been surprised at the duration of Higgins' ban solely because he was expecting, like many (myself included) that his ban would've started at the beginning of the season. :shrug:

yes i expected the ban to start from 3rd of june Wuxi Classic not during the summer which would have meant 3rd of january Return. but thats over with now.

are we going to have John Higgins braught up for the rest of our lives or are we going to move on ??

almost 40 years ago i was sucking a dummy :baby: ive now moved on from that.

Postby GJ

After all that has happened, how will you feel if you find yourself playing against John Higgins?
Roger Clarke, UK by email

Quinten Hann got an eight-year ban after getting caught [for throwing frames in 2006] on video. Some people are wondering why John Higgins' ban wasn't heavier.

Quinten was surprised with the outcome and thinks the game needs John Higgins. It is a strange one. I think everybody saw the punishment Quinten got as the bench mark for anybody bringing the game into disrepute.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 999096.stm

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:After all that has happened, how will you feel if you find yourself playing against John Higgins?

Quinten Hann got an eight-year ban after getting caught [for throwing frames in 2006] on video. Some people are wondering why John Higgins' ban wasn't heavier.

Quinten was surprised with the outcome and thinks the game needs John Higgins. It is a strange one. I think everybody saw the punishment Quinten got as the bench mark for anybody bringing the game into disrepute.

Its pretty clear what Robbos true thoughts on the matter are :gag:

Postby GJ

Witz78 wrote:
GJ wrote:After all that has happened, how will you feel if you find yourself playing against John Higgins?

the player of the year vote also suggests he isnt on his own ;-)

im happy to give john a 2nd chance but others wont be

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

the player of the year vote also suggests he isnt on his own ;-)

im happy to give john a 2nd chance but others wont be

Well at the start he clearly is bringing Hanns case into the debate to show the injustices in the bans being so vastly different etc

Anyway im not wasting a day here arguing about Hann, got better things to do like pack my bags, get a haircut and grab some Euros <cool>

meanwhile Smart is probably away getting a back, sack and crack before his trip to the sun :shock:

odds on i bump into this Willie Thorne wannabee in Benidorm, so much for going abroad to get away from this place <doh>

Postby Roland

I saw you being well and truely pwned by Hendon on Twitter last night Witz :redneck: