Post a reply

Re: Noel Saltmarche 1949-2011

Postby vodkadiet

Yes, very sad news.

Credit to the guy that he continued posting despite what he was going through. The distraction of the forum probably helped him.

:rip:

Postby NedB-H

Not having been online much recently, I didn't even know that Noel was ill. But when I did get on here, his was always a name I recognised, and his were always some of the most interesting and insightful posts to read. This is really tragic news, 61 is no age nowadays; when I think of friends and relatives who are older, it shows how much Noel still could've had ahead of him.

RIP Noel. :-(

Postby SnookerFan

NedB-H wrote:Not having been online much recently, I didn't even know that Noel was ill. But when I did get on here, his was always a name I recognised, and his were always some of the most interesting and insightful posts to read. This is really tragic news, 61 is no age nowadays; when I think of friends and relatives who are older, it shows how much Noel still could've had ahead of him.

Neither did I. I don't think it was something he made a big issue of.

Postby Rocket_ron

Ive only just come across this thread, im so sorry to hear about noel, i was unaware he had the illness.

Im sorry for noel and his family

Rest in peace mate :rip: :rose:

Postby gallantrabbit

Lovely photo with his family. Would be nice to think they knew he was a member here so they could come on and see the outpouring of respect.
As Paul Hunter commented to his father, "I was dealt a bad hand of cards..." :rip:

Postby Roland

NedB-H wrote:Not having been online much recently, I didn't even know that Noel was ill. But when I did get on here, his was always a name I recognised, and his were always some of the most interesting and insightful posts to read. This is really tragic news, 61 is no age nowadays; when I think of friends and relatives who are older, it shows how much Noel still could've had ahead of him.

Noel should've had years more on here giving us his unique take on the snooker world. He was only just getting started. We've been robbed.

Postby Roland

I've been in email contact with Cliff Thorburn who knew Noel and went to his wake at the weekend. He had this to say:

The last correspondence we had was in late January just before I was leaving for the UK and the Jimmy and Ronnie "Legends" match in Blackburn. He wanted me to give Monique (from your website) a big hug as he had never met her before. Unfortunately I never had the chance. I think he might have known something then. Noel and I hugged when we said goodbye for the last time.

-------

Boy did he ever LOVE snooker!!!!!!! I tried to slow his cue action down to a blur but he never really seemed too bothered about it. He just loved "pounding the balls around!" With some success may I say.

Having never met Caitlin, Emily or Miles I thought it might be difficult to find them but some of Noel's features on them made it seem easy to recognize. When I told them about the respect the forum readers had for Noel and deepest sympathies for his passing, they were thankful to hear it.

His partner Hali was there and obviously it was very sad day. I wish Noel and I could have been friends sooner.

Why is it the good ones leave so soon?

Postby Wildey

ive known of noel since i joined TSF in early 2008 but ive got to know him better after his passing :-(

very interesting guy just wished i got to know him better while he was alive :-(

Postby mwveritas

I would like very much to say a few words about Noel, who was a good friend to me.
I arrived in Canada in November 2008. It as quite a difficult time for me, as I had moved here from a distant land to get some care for my son who was ill. I arrived without work and without knowing anyone in the city.
As I stolled around town I noticed the snooker center at the Annex, and went in to waste away a few hours that I should have otherwise spent job hunting!! I was knocking ball around on my own at a table next to Noel, in his friendly way he invited me to plan with him and over the next few months it became a very regular thing we did together once or twice a week.
Noel was a good player, and a real student and lover of the game. He was great company, despite at that time going through some difficult times in his business. He drove his poor girlfriend crazy with his timekeeping - when he was playing snooker nothing got in the way of him finishing the last frame.
As happens in relationships, Noel and I drifted apart through 2010 as I got busier with work and family stuff, until I bumped into him one day. He had been having a pretty hard time and there was a reason (that some of you might know) why he had been out of commission for a few months. We made a pledge to each other to be better friends and keep more regularly in touch, and we did that through the second half of last year and to this year.
He loved his family dearly, although he drove them to distraction. He was always quick to help someone else - he was the first one at my door to help me when I moved house last summer. He had a natural kindness, but more than that he had a certain aura about him that I found calming. Despite ups and downs in his life I knew he was a good man. He was kind to me when noone seemed to give a damn and I was forever grateful for that.
When he was ill he did not seem to want visitors, although I popped by the hospice from time to time and left things for him. We kept in touch by text and the last message I got from him was on March 5th "Good news Mark, I haven't killed death quite yet but I have wrestled it to the ground and have the beat by the scruff - love noel"
Well it seemed that death fought back, and ended up on top of him. Good for him for fighting, and much love from those here he left behind.

Postby Wildey

pleased you joined up to share that with us here.

ive learned so much about noel the man since his passing he was the type of person you want as a friend.

Postby ebs

Hello Snooker Islanders,
My name is Emily, I am one of Noel's daughters. I signed up for two reasons. First, my sister, brother and I check into this forum from time to time and are always very pleased and moved to see how many lives our dad touched. Your sentiments and well wishings mean a lot to us, especially considering you probably didn't know we had seen them! So thank you, to all of you who have written here. Second, I am wondering if it would be possible for one of the Island Rangers to contact me. I tried to use the PM function but it won't allow me to yet because I am a new member.
Thank you once again. Kind regards,
Emily

Postby Casey

Emily,

Firstly I am sorry for your loss, your father always had an entertaining comment that would make me often laugh <ok>

I will mention to Sonny the forum creator to contact you.

Postby Wildey

hi Emily

i echo what Casey said Sorry about your Loss.

Postby SariGrove

@GroveCanada: http://t.co/ZxTowEWVBH RIP Noel & David Saltmarche, twin brother art photographers...

I just found out today by way of internet search...

I was an old client of Noel & David, at See Spot Run...

(1995-ish)...

I wrote a blog post this evening about it...

I am so sorry for your loss, our loss...

Sari Grove

P.s. This forum was the only place I could find to connect....
Thank you for allowing me here...
Interestingly we have a snooker table up in the country at my parents' farm...
So maybe this is the right place for me by chance...