Post a reply

Re: HEARN: PLAYERS NEED TO SHAPE UP

Postby Wildey

i think it is high time a top top name is discaplined for unproffesionalism then the ripple effect would go way down

this is the power of that 51% Barry asked for and got.

in the past players could vote people out so disciplining was very hard balance to struck.......now Barry Hearn is there with a majority share so players can basicly lump it.

Postby Sickpotter

I won't speculate on who would've said that, I think we've all got a very good idea.

I'm soooooo happy Hearn is putting his foot down.....or up the players butts, how ever you want to look at it ;)

The game's desperately needed this for at least a decade, can't wait to see where it leads :mosh2:

Postby Wildey

and who ever was that said that has done the sport a huge favour he has thrown the gountlet down to Barry Hearn so if he feels like testing the water to see how far he can push it then after what barry has said "Trust me, I’d do it to my mum, and she’s dead."in that article he will not back down of hitting that player very hard.

Postby Monique

GJtheaussiestud wrote:iF Barry is trying to target robbo he can get lost dont see him slagging off ronald

hypocrite HEARN

Once again it shows you don't read things and just jumps at people.
He criticised (very harsly) Ronnie for not turning up at events he's entered and he said that it was refered to the disciplanary commission.
He critised Ding for blatantly not trying and said he was refered to David Douglas (anti-corruption unit).
And he criticised Robbo for being late to some of his matches, citing the PL in particular, saying he would get a letter of warning.
So yes he did tourist off "Ronald" and he was right. Just as he was right with Neil because it's not the first time. He was late in Gloucester and docked a frame and he was late in the Snooker Championship League last spring and he had been almost late in another leg of the PL last year.
I think BH will target all players who don't behave professionally and, if he pointed at those 3, who are very visible figures, there are others I'm sure who are on the radar also. Hendry for a start may be one who also failed to turn up at one EPTC (without notice) and had openly badmouthed the series in the press. And when I was in Bruges and Hamm I've witnessed other incidents I won't report here (because they were not made public and I don't want to put anyone in trouble) some involving other top players.

So you have plenty of choices for that "quote"...

Postby wheelsofsteel

There are only two players, perhaps three, who really sell snooker in my opinion. O'Sullivan, Robertson, and take your pick between Higgins and Selby (both with varying degrees of acceptability). I just think it is unfair and time-consuming on their part to expect the world champion and the world's best player to constantly turn up to everything just because they are the faces of snooker. I think Barry Hearn has to realise that others have to take their share of responsibility as well, even though their appearance might not get the same press coverage (Murphy, Carter etc).

Postby Casey

Going forward looking to the future I think Selby and Robbo should be the faces. Both are slim well kept guys who portray a good image, a sporting image.
Obviously Ding for the Asian markets, I also reckon if Judd Trump makes the grade he has the marketability about him to draw new audiences.

Postby Wildey

wheelsofsteel wrote:There are only two players, perhaps three, who really sell snooker in my opinion. O'Sullivan, Robertson, and take your pick between Higgins and Selby (both with varying degrees of acceptability). I just think it is unfair and time-consuming on their part to expect the world champion and the world's best player to constantly turn up to everything just because they are the faces of snooker. I think Barry Hearn has to realise that others have to take their share of responsibility as well, even though their appearance might not get the same press coverage (Murphy, Carter etc).

if they enter they turn up or you call in to say you cant.

how many people would keep their job if they just didnt turn up ?

now its in black and white if you want a job with me you act in a professional way or you dont play.

Postby wheelsofsteel

wildJONESYBOYO wrote:
wheelsofsteel wrote:There are only two players, perhaps three, who really sell snooker in my opinion. O'Sullivan, Robertson, and take your pick between Higgins and Selby (both with varying degrees of acceptability). I just think it is unfair and time-consuming on their part to expect the world champion and the world's best player to constantly turn up to everything just because they are the faces of snooker. I think Barry Hearn has to realise that others have to take their share of responsibility as well, even though their appearance might not get the same press coverage (Murphy, Carter etc).

if they enter they turn up or you call in to say you cant.

how many people would keep their job if they just didnt turn up ?

now its in black and white if you want a job with me you act in a professional way or you dont play.

I was talking about press conferences and the likes. Tiger Woods enters every tournament, doesn't mean to say he turns up. I think snooker players should play more which means work harder, but you cannot make people turn up for everything. If I don't turn up, I don't get paid. That is the bottom line. I don't get threatened that I won't be allowed into work the next day.

Postby Casey

If you continued not to turn up without a visible excuse; surely soon enough it would be the last straw for your partner.
Other sports punish personnel who fail to turn up for press interviews etc.

Postby Wildey

regarding Press Conferences they want top players to be there the same players aren't asked all the time but if players dont want to be at press conferences say you cant be there but its their Future on the line here. Barry Hearn if he can be at every Press Conference surely players can be there after all Barry isnt bucking about for his enjoyment he is making sure Snooker players Got Tournaments to play in Least he can Expect is the Backing of Top Players on that mission.

Postby Roland

You can't silence the players but the players need to think of the good of the game before they open their mouths in the press sometimes. Self interest is too prominent recently and no one is bigger than the game (not talking about ROS in particular).

I think if players choose not to enter the PTC events then it's up to them. They shouldn't be punished for not entering, their punishment is losing out on ranking points. Just don't enter and then not turn up without giving as much notice to the organisers as possible.

I think the 3 PTC and 3 EPTC rule is fair, I think if you want to be at the new showcase event which is the PTC finals then you should show commitment and respect to the European audience. 3 from 6 isn't too much to ask, it means you can miss 3 whole events in Europe AND the UK and still qualify if your results are good enough.

I agree that Robbo and Selby along with Murphy and Ding should be the marketable face of snooker from now on. I think it's time to move on from Ronnie being plastered everywhere firstly to give the guy a break and secondly think to the future and have some genuine flagbearers who want to be flagbearers. Ronnie will still be at a lot of the events but his record says it's best to leave him alone when it comes to promoting a tournament.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I agree that Robbo and Selby along with Murphy and Ding should be the marketable face of snooker from now on. I think it's time to move on from Ronnie being plastered everywhere firstly to give the guy a break and secondly think to the future and have some genuine flagbearers who want to be flagbearers. Ronnie will still be at a lot of the events but his record says its best to leave him alone when it comes to promoting a tournament.

Yes that has to be the way forward even younger players when they make the breakthrough. there is literally no point using 30 somethings as the face of the game its time to use younger players while the established players like Ronnie is still around.

Postby Roland

People will still know to expect Ronnie at a lot of events. Let's face it, having his face on the poster is no guarantee he'll turn up in the first place so the question "Is Ronnie playing?" if he's not on the poster is still something only he'll know.

Postby Wildey

With Robbo the caption should be

Neil Robertson Appearing but nobody knows when :redneck:

Postby Witz78

wildJONESYBOYO wrote:With Robbo the caption should be

Neil Robertson Appearing but nobody knows when :redneck:

give Robbo a break, must take the guy ages to straighten that barnet before he can head out to play snooker :limp:

Postby gallantrabbit

I wonder if Hearn has made it clear to players from the start that promotion cannot come only from him. Hearn has done a lot, but he needs all players help. This is a curious age and fans are interested to know everything about even lesser stars. The more press interviews we get the better. we can`t expect to weigh everything on Ronniee. We should expect the World champ to do his share though.

Postby Witz78

gallantrabbit wrote:I wonder if Hearn has made it clear to players from the start that promotion cannot come only from him. Hearn has done a lot, but he needs all players help. This is a curious age and fans are interested to know everything about even lesser stars. The more press interviews we get the better. we can`t expect to weigh everything on Ronniee. We should expect the World champ to do his share though.

Jimmys been doing his fair share though <ok> <cool>

Postby gallantrabbit

JImmy knows which side his bread is buttered these days, he's become quite the businessman. One or two of his projects are a little ill advised (the 155 dvd..), but he knows that little will be handed to him on a plate (except the masters wildcard last year) so he's after it. Even the masters he didn't deserve the wildcard playing wise but did for his overall popularity and sportsmanship. That's why he's just about the busiest player on the circuit still, even if he doesn't get through enough rounds.. Hopefully that will start to change today. C'mon JIm, nice solid clean win today!

Postby Wildey

Jimmy White promoting is as useless as trying to switch on a coal fire.

we need the younger players coming forward and doing it Selby and Murphy has been brilliant ambassadors to the sport but its a team effort and we need everyone pulling together but we need young players being up front.

Postby Sickpotter

I'd love the younger players to step up and help with the promotions but having Jimmy out promoting the game is definitely not useless. :roll:

He's arguably the most popular player ever to grace the table and an impeccable sportsman so he's excellent from a promotional standpoint and a great ambassador of the game. :idea:

Regardless of current form (which btw doesn't seem to be all that bad in events where he's not under the gun) Jimmy is one of the game's greatest entertainers and is a big draw. For someone well past his prime he continues to draw fans and fill seats as easily as those at the top of the game do......in many cases more easily.

Selby I agree has been a great ambassador but I wouldn't put Murphy in there.

Selby is a character and people like his personality. He can be entertaining and play great snooker which maximizes his appeal.

Murphy on the other hand has a beautiful game but on the personal side doesn't appeal to many. Perhaps if one was trying to shore up Christian interest Murphy would be the man but otherwise I don't see him as a big help in promoting the game. ;)

Postby Wildey

point i was making was they use jimmy to promote then he gets beaten then he isnt in the tournament he promoted.

totally useless.

in the masters last year he got fans of im a celebrity to tune in to see him flop totally pointless.

Postby Sickpotter

Well I have to agree, using Jimmy to promote major events isn't the best route, you should definitely be using a top player to do that. That said, what was the turnout for Jimmy's Master match? Jimmy doesn't need to play well to pack a venue ;)

I don't know why he wasn't in the powerball event. Pure entertainment was the goal and Jimmy can still do that.

IMO there's a significant difference between promoting the sport and promoting the game.

Promoting the sport requires the top ranked players because you want to let everyone know these are the best the sport has to offer.

Promoting the game just requires popular/entertaining players. Yes you want them to be good players but they don't need to be the top ranked players to show how enjoyable and entertaining the game is.

The game only thrives when both fans types, the casual and the serious, have players that appeal to them out promoting the game.

Postby randam05

sickpotter wrote:Well I have to agree, using Jimmy to promote major events isn't the best route, you should definitely be using a top player to do that. That said, what was the turnout for Jimmy's Master match? Jimmy doesn't need to play well to pack a venue ;)

I don't know why he wasn't in the powerball event. Pure entertainment was the goal and Jimmy can still do that.

IMO there's a significant difference between promoting the sport and promoting the game.

Promoting the sport requires the top ranked players because you want to let everyone know these are the best the sport has to offer.

Promoting the game just requires popular/entertaining players. Yes you want them to be good players but they don't need to be the top ranked players to show how enjoyable and entertaining the game is.

The game only thrives when both fans types, the casual and the serious, have players that appeal to them out promoting the game.

He was at power snooker.

Postby wheelsofsteel

case_master wrote:If you continued not to turn up without a visible excuse; surely soon enough it would be the last straw for your partner.
Other sports punish personnel who fail to turn up for press interviews etc.

They do - which is what happened in the rugby. It happens in boxing, soccer, cricket, tennis and particularly in U.S. sport.

But other sports do not keep asking the same people to turn up, time and time again.

Remember, the difference with most other sports (and snooker) is that the press conferences for F1, golf, cricket, soccer etc happen on the eve of, where snooker is always well in advance.

Postby randam05

sickpotter wrote:My bad....it wasn't a format that appealed to me so I didn't watch much of it. Thanks for the clarification

Thats alright..he went out first round.

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:
sickpotter wrote:My bad....it wasn't a format that appealed to me so I didn't watch much of it. Thanks for the clarification

Thats alright..he went out first round.

rofl