Post a reply

Re: BBC Drops World Open

Postby SnookerFan

thetubberlad wrote:
Sonny wrote:The World Open can be summed up in 2 words:

Pressure
Bottle

Which is why we were blessed with the best quarter-final line-up in years... and got the two best players in the World contesting the final...

For people who say 'yeah, we had some great games but what a waste that they were only best-of-5's'..... guess what? You would never have gotten so many top notch pairings with best-of-9's, 11's, 17's, 19's,25's, 33's, 35's as you wouldn't have everyone under the cosh early on and the best making it through in such a situation. Not that I advocate the spreading of shorter formats any further.

I have a terrible feeling Barry Hearn does. Have you seen about that new tournament he's having in Brazil next season? That's short matches throughout. What about the PTC? They are all best of what, seven? I hope I'm wrong, I really do, but I have a terrible feeling he's under the impression that shorter matches aren't neccessarily exciting.

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:I guess it's these tournaments that makes the UK and the Worlds so special, you savour them more.

I don't think all tournaments should be that long, or anywhere near that long. It takes away the aura of those two, and is difficult for television purposes, especially when you try and get them onto television. But at the same time, Hearn seems to want to reach a point where we have best of sevens pretty often. This is one thing I disagree with him on.

I like best of nines, I really do. But I think they are minimal. I don't understand these people who have been complaining for years that best of nines are too short, and as soon as they are shortened further the same people go :bowdown: "Oh Hearn, let me put my tounge on your nutsack."

As long as the tournament stays a one-off, I don't mind though. I can stomach it... But one thing I am disappointed in is the BBC cutting down on it's coverage.

Postby NedB-H

SnookerFan wrote:
Bourne wrote:I guess it's these tournaments that makes the UK and the Worlds so special, you savour them more.

I don't think all tournaments should be that long, or anywhere near that long. It takes away the aura of those two, and is difficult for television purposes, especially when you try and get them onto television. But at the same time, Hearn seems to want to reach a point where we have best of sevens pretty often. This is one thing I disagree with him on.

I like best of nines, I really do. But I think they are minimal. I don't understand these people who have been complaining for years that best of nines are too short, and as soon as they are shortened further the same people go :bowdown: "Oh Hearn, let me put my tounge on your nutsack."

As long as the tournament stays a one-off, I don't mind though. I can stomach it... But one thing I am disappointed in is the BBC cutting down on it's coverage.

<ok> rofl

Postby SnookerFan

NedB-H wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

<ok> rofl

<laugh>

:rude: to short matches.